Bicyclettes

canice

Don't know much about bikes, so this is probably pretty stupid, but:

Looking to get a bike to just ride/commute around on and I saw a Specialized Langster pop up locally on cl. Would this be a good bike to grab for someone who hasn't been riding for a few years and wants to get back in shape and around town?

Don't know much about bikes, so this is probably pretty stupid, but:

Looking to get a bike to just ride/commute around on and I saw a Specialized Langster pop up locally on cl. Would this be a good bike to grab for someone who hasn't been riding for a few years and wants to get back in shape and around town?

I assume it is a Langster Steel. If it is, then yes, it is a great bike for commuting around town. It's probably fixed, so if you aren't prepared to ride a fixed gear drive-train, you would have to buy a freewheel. If the price is right, go for it. They retail complete for $750.

I assume it is a Langster Steel. If it is, then yes, it is a great bike for commuting around town. It's probably fixed, so if you aren't prepared to ride a fixed gear drive-train, you would have to buy a freewheel. If the price is right, go for it. They retail complete for $750.

Why would you assume it is a Langster Steel? If anything it'd be the aluminum and one would assume it be that since it has been out longer.

It's probably fixed, so if you aren't prepared to ride a fixed gear drive-train, you would have to buy a freewheel.

Chances are greater that it already has a flip flop wheel on it since thats how they come from the factory unless its an S works or comp, I wont make any assumptions though.

I have a aluminum one circa 2006 and I commute on it about 15 miles daily, great bike if the price is right

Some old alloy bikes ride really, really sweetly. Others w/ oversize tubing and big, stiff alloy forks really ping around though and aren't a good ride over long ranges. If you're going to be in the saddle for more than 40 minutes or so at a time, 25-28mm supple tires at lesser pressure are best used.

Those Vitus', ALAN's (I owned one), Specialized's, etc. w/ narrow tubes really ride great <58cm or 170# riders. Bigger riders w/o the best mechanic will definitely encounter shifting issues.

Hope this helps and you find a nice one! Well-proportioned riders in the lower range of sizes will get a great ride outta these bikes, don't fear the naysayers.

NYC streets still in disrepair since the snowstorms...

ate a hugeee fucking pothole today... at least 100 if not 110psi... and i still caught a pinch flat.... what the shiiiiiiitttt

cant rep repeater but you always come through with great info.

brooklyn machine works "track" frame is a giant bmx.

the bb height, angles, and wheelbase length are really not that different from an average street fixed bike. the geo wont be as tight as someting njs or whatever but its pretty far from a "giant bmx"

my grime yomang however is pretty much a oversized bmx

img0792hy.jpg

i remember watching Dhani tackles the globe and he was doing the Italy episode on cycling and one of the old dudes (that either was a former racer or an OG jersey maker or some shit) was climbing the Monte Grappa with clips and straps. /longrunonsentence

so yeah, if old dudes can climb mountains with clips and straps, i guess i dont have too much of a problem riding on smooth as streets in them either. sure its not as efficient but eh.

I've ridden both for casual commutes, riding with clips/straps is definitely more convenient, but riding clipless is far easier.

With that said, I've never been crazy about riding in Vans for a long time, kinda need something stiffer, even Samba feels better for me.

And with that being said, I currently ride really short commutes (1-4 mi a day) in bmx platforms with Burro straps