Bicyclettes

canice

What do you guys think about Torelli Bikes? Im in the market for a new bike and have been for about a month and a half but i was wanting to get something i would be truly satisfied and not just settling for something cheaper, right now its between a Bianchi, a fuji, my local bike shop carries Surly Steamrollers, and possibly a Torelli. I kinda want to get something brand new since its going to be like a gift to myself ive been saving for a while im sure you guys can understand that. I have heard so many mixed things about Bianchis some people love them and have more than one and some people hate them and call them overpriced just looking for a little advice again

yay I finally have a reason to post in this thread.

While it's not much compared to the nice bikes posted here I just purchased my dream frame; a 1980s peugeot restored in white with its forks too. Soon as I can get the rest of the parts I am looking forward to learning a lot and of course riding!

Does anyone else here own a peugeot? I see that Italian frames are the most popular when it comes to old bikes...why is that?

I really like the lugwork on some of the frames, with clovers at the joints and all that.

(I am sorry if this has been asked before..)

looking for french parts in good condition is a bitch...

going down the vintage road is gonna be expensive too...

Your peugeot, road or pista?

Nah it isn't, Velo Orange carries a new, French thread BB.

The headset is marginally differently threaded, a non-issue. Use whatever. Stems on most frames are going to be the same.

Don't waste your money is the most important thing. If you can't mostly ride it as is with a few service parts, they are old, heavy, mediocre bikes. Try something else.

Guys with the vintage builds w mustaches and Brooks (saddle don't matter) are you guys riding casually on FLAT streets? I can't imagine having to get out of saddle and mash with setups like that. Like girls who are all about cruisers or some other type of upright bike just don't look right when forced to crank hard.

e: where can get silver 26.8 seatpost clamp cheap? $15 + shipping for problem solver is absurd.

What do you have that takes a tiny ass 26.8mm seatpost clamp? I'd say Look or Vitus when they had the 25mm post, but they didn't have clamps. The clamp size is not the seatpost size, it's the external diameter.

Priest bars are nice, the reissue ones are nicely lighter and the same bend, albeit only in OS clamp size to go on Cinelli's new range of city bikes. Nitto's bow bar is really big, kinda awkward. VO's bars aren't the lightest, but well made and very nicely finished, esp at the price.

I'd go with that, if you're not into one of the no-reach Nitto's or the bigger wider bars.

^^ the bow bar you are referring to is the one in hollows link?

i like the look of the nitto more than the VO and 26.0 clamp is a huge plus.

edit: also, lance rides the shit out of the mustache bars when he was riding with mash or whatever.

I am selling the frameset from this bike:

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=Specialized&Model=Tricross+Comp+Double&Type=bike

What is a reasonable asking price? The only components on it are the fork, stem, BB, the front cable guide, and the derailleur hanger. This bike was only ever sold as a complete bike so I have no real frame of reference...

I love the red/white/black coloring on the 2010 frame. And I just replaced the crappy black bar tape with some nice red tape, and am planning to get a red saddle pretty soon too to replace the crappy one I've had for 3 years that's starting to fall apart because it's a cheap POS....

Looking to get me and my girlfriend our first bikes (well since we were kids, pretty much) and I'm wondering if it would be better to buy premade or build my own? She is pretty short so a custom may benefit her.

I know close to nothing about bikes and have never built one, so I wouldn't know where to start. Would love something lightweight, will be used on the road to travel to class almost daily. Would appreciate some advice!