Bicyclettes

canice

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get a fixed together for a while but I have been in debt and I now finally have the money. A year ago or so I bought a very cheap conversion on a Univega Sportour frame, made of almost all old parts. As I was riding it a pedal fell off. It seems like the cranks are stripped. Now that I have money I'm looking into fixing it back up. I think I might as well buy new cranks, a chain, and a cog, but this is where I am clueless to what I should be looking into. What are some good parts I could buy? I already bought mks pedals+cages and have a pretty nice seat so I am good to go with that. I have around $500 but would prefer to spend as little as possible. I just want a bike to commute and get back in shape on.

I'm also considering just buying a complete to save the hassle of fixing back up this conversion. I looked on bikesdirect and am sort of overwhelmed. I'm consider the Windsor Hour because I have read that it has the best wheelset, and I think all of the bikes in my range are so similar I might as well get the hour and have money for parts.

What do you guys think?

Get the windsor hours, there's no point in getting new chain, cranks and cog when $300 can get u a whole new bike. google sheldon brown while ur at it

any hints on how to check what size seatpost a frame is supposed to use? i bought one used and it had a 26.8 (MTB) seatpost in it but i'm thinking it should be 27.2

use calipers or take it to a bike shop they have a tube that goes in and shows you what size seat post you need.

http://goincase.com/blog/2010/05/21/tcb-couriers-bike-from-sf-to-pdx/

Just got to hang out and drink a beer with these dudes. Theyre staying at my buddy's house here in Eugene tonight. So cool, i'm like giddy with excitement. and to see the GoinCase bags in person is really cool, theyre so nice.

Do NOT get a Pro-Tec. SO hot and heavy. A proper bike helmet is the proper tool for the job. Giro makes low-profile, matte-black finish helmets for those not looking for the race-kit look.

There's one for every price-point, and they're carried by a lot of dealers.

yeah but if he's not going to wear it much at least he can toss it around and stuff. and they look cool.

Well, my rim stripping project is not going as well as I'd hoped. The oven cleaner removes the color, but not the actual anodizing. It takes a hell of a lot of work to bust through it. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it...

Is a Sag messenger bag worth getting? theyre websites down, and i cant find a price anywhere.. they look freshh. and riding with a hiking backpack is no bueno on my shoulders.

You're gonna need to scrub with gritty sand paper. HARD.

I used a paint stripper, which worked.

The gel paint stripper, or one of those tools you scrape paint with? The eyelets on the Open Pro rims I'm trying to strip make mechanical stripping a pain in the ass.

Is a Sag messenger bag worth getting? theyre websites down, and i cant find a price anywhere.. they look freshh. and riding with a hiking backpack is no bueno on my shoulders.

i am not doubting you, but how is a backpack with 2 straps that are evenly distributing the weight over two shoulders worse than a messenger bag that slings over one shoulder?

$200 seems to be the normal pricepoint for any serious purpose-built cycling bag. i'm a big fan of the mission workshop backpacks - they're not messenger-centric which is a good thing. i am of the opinion that sags are pretty heinous but if they float your boat then go for it.

also am i totally retarded to want a bmw gangsta? i actually like the geometry and i haven't found BFSSFG too helpful on this particular subject. not sure if there's anything similar on the market but would be curious to hear that as well. note that i have no intention at all in riding on a track, better for all involved i think.

The gel paint stripper, or one of those tools you scrape paint with? The eyelets on the Open Pro rims I'm trying to strip make mechanical stripping a pain in the ass.

Stuntastic here...

I used Jasco on a rim.

Used a steel brush to scrub it hard.

Then switched to a real gritty sandpaper.

Then finished it up with a softer grit sandpaper and polished.

Open Pro? We coulda just traded :(((

Fack! Well, I still have one that's blue :( Are you trying to get rid of them or are they built at the moment? If they are just spares, want to sell them?

Hello there sufu bicycle crew. After years of putting my bmx bike away, I finally went out and purchased a bike. On tuesday, I went to a "bike shop" which was actually just a storage garage run by a guy who buys frames, builds bikes and sells them. I went in with no knowledge of anything single speed/fixed gear related and after riding 5 or 6 bikes I ended up with one that I felt good about. Tt has a flip flop hub which was set up as single speed at first but today I switched it to fixed and I don't see myself switching it back anytime soon. I finally got used to "not coasting" today and I've been having a blast trying not to use the brake. The level of feel and control that you it is pretty awesome and I don't miss coasting one bit. Needless to say, I think I fell in love today and I can't wait to spend a while riding bikes everywhere I can. Heres a pic, all I know is that its a Peugeot frame from the 70s but the parts are supposed to be pretty solid as well. Purchased for $300.

109858208-500x500.jpg