Bicyclettes

canice

swapped dropouts really? the BB hight from the ground looks good for track geo, but the other stuff you pointed out.. yeah.. agree

swapped dropouts really? the BB hight from the ground looks good for track geo, but the other stuff you pointed out.. yeah.. agree

Yup, that frame is from the sixties and would have pretty long dropouts.

Those are quite modern dropouts. I forget who makes them (they might be cut by hand, as well) but they are from the past fifteen years.

Okay, here's a hypothetical: Say if a rear derailleur was to catastrophically fail and snap off at it's attachment point, would it be theoretically possible to undo the chain, take off a few links and turn the bike into a psuedo-singlespeed to limp back home?

I'm only asking because it's happened 3 times in the last year or so. :\

Yea. There are a few bums/crackheads out here, that still have both chainrings and cassettes on their bikes. But they took off the derailleur and shortened the chain, and ride around like a single speed.

damit i knew it. i'm carrying a chain tool along with my next ride. also, veloorange has some cool stuff that i want: http://www.velo-orange.com/ossabag.html

Guest renatho
^ dang thats nuts and pretty unsafe unless you are just going straight and slow haha

yes im just going slowly but sure :D

how come everyone can lock up their back tire and skid except for me?

find your own way to skid dude. you will get use to it and more practice! hahaha

balls to the stem... afterward, buy a new tire...

balls to stem is totally required hahaha

I got hit in a hit-and-run last night at about 11pm coming home from work.

Guy blasted out of the gas station and into me, though I was well lit up and dressed in bright red.

About 40 stitches in the mouth area, broken nose, concussion, four or five teeth, my bike, and my spirit. I of course am uninsured as well, so I'm totally effed.

I got hit in a hit-and-run last night at about 11pm coming home from work.

Guy blasted out of the gas station and into me, though I was well lit up and dressed in bright red.

About 40 stitches in the mouth area, broken nose, concussion, four or five teeth, my bike, and my spirit. I of course am uninsured as well, so I'm totally effed.

Wow, Ive had a couple accidents, but nothing approaching the above...

Really sorry to hear about what happened to you, and glad you are still relatively OK (i.e. alive).

Regarding the driver, there should have been surveillance cameras at the gas station (would have gotten a shot of the driver and the vehicle), and or traffic cameras, stores close by, etc. that caught the incident if you are lucky. Maybe worth a shot to inquire.

Take care of yourself and keep us updated.

balls to the stem freaks me out

im running 48 18 right now (Whats a better combo?)

my legs are strong which is why i cant understand how i cant do this and dudes with pencil legs can

Just keep practicing. There are a few things that are very important when trying to learn how to skid:

- stand up a little. i used to try it sitting down. ultimate fail.

- wait until your STRONG leg is back. you should attempt your skid around the time when both of your feet are parallel to the ground

- lean forwards! the more weight you have off the back wheel, the easier it is to skid. when i was learning, i found leaning forwards(putting your nuts on the stem) and pushing down on your arms helps

- also, the faster you're going, the easier it is to skid. not to say you should be bombing down a hill or something but going at a decent speed

- i know personally, i feel very uncomfortable skidding with any kind of narrow drop bars. balance and control of my skidding is way better with my risers.

Good luck and just keep trying. It took me fifteen minutes to learn with the same advice. Also, one of my bikes runs a 49/16 and I've absolutely no problem skidding at all. Just takes practice.