Bicyclettes

canice

for the thousandth time: everyone do this and get a bike that fits.

@cure ... let the person go out and ride some bikes and figure it out for themselves. everyone's into it for different reasons and will like to ride a different way. in the city i hate riding my road bike. i'm used to riding a fixed drivetrain and react with my legs instead of grabbing for a brake, so a road bike lacks that control for me. someone else might feel differently of course.

Of course, i'm not doubting there's a preference involved in selecting what kind of bike to buy. I think whats important is choosing the bike that will make you fall in love (again) with biking. I suppose that a single speed w/ a flip flop hub would be the better recommendation for somebody who is on the fence.

I'm not sure how your local races are, but basically all official road races do not allow dt shifters, only brifters. The caad 9 is a pretty great bike to have for these races though. We carry them at my shop and people generally seem to like them.

Your local club (that marshalls/hosts races) might be Nazis.

Yes, downtube shifters are disadvantageous, but changing to integrated shifting is only a few hundred dollars, and you don't necessarily need integrated front shifting functionally to be competitive; one only uses the small chainring in large climbs when racing, and for longer durations. Depending on where you live, womens cycling might not even be that hardcore, so I encourage you to try a lower level, local race regardless of equipment.

Clipless pedals and lycra are of course mandatory.

Speaking of tall Vivalo's I have a blue sparkle Vivalo that's 57.5 cm that I haven't ridden in a while and would consider selling or trading (60cm range for trades). The bike is in great shape, minus a standard top tube dent that you can see in the picture. Fork is undrilled, but I have a clamp on front dia-compe brake I'd thow in for maybe a bit extra. I also have a nitto technowhatever stem and sugino 75 bottom bracket (plus sugino 75 cranks dura ace chainring for extra)

piccyfix1247915442img01.jpg

pm me or something if you're interested. Help me get a track bike that fits.

Yes, downtube shifters are disadvantageous, but changing to integrated shifting is only a few hundred dollars, and you don't necessarily need integrated front shifting functionally to be competitive; one only uses the small chainring in large climbs when racing, and for longer durations. Depending on where you live, womens cycling might not even be that hardcore, so I encourage you to try a lower level, local race regardless of equipment.

oh haha no i was talking about races that are actually hosted/mandated by the USAC.

Thanks for the info (you too wolves). I thought about upgrading my current road bike but honestly I'd rather put that 200+ towards a lighter bike with nicer components. I'm looking to start crits (nice flat and wide course) tomorrow. Hopefully the flatness of the course will keep

me from needing to shift too much. The only rule I could fin for this series was that all racers are required to wear a helmet. I'll wear a kit and clipless pedals just for comfort though. I had a friend race on an old Schwinn with dt shifters while waiting for his race bike to arrive (moved and shipped the bike down separately) so I know it's not illegal and is possible.

what don't you like about the jamis? looks about on par with the bianchi

i actually do like it a lot, it is a really solid bike and i always feel confident on it. but i feel like i prefer the geometry of his, or maybe just his bars - i did, however, spend a lot less money then him. :)

overall, definitely a good buy if anyone is looking for a solid complete.

I'm deliberating between Errebi Sprint doubles and Toshi singles. Pretty comparable price... anyone have any insight?

I ride a geared road bike (http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1800462&postcount=10485), but I'm damn sick of my crappy generic toe straps - I want something that's gonna feel more like a bear-trap on my feet and allow me to get mad power on my up-stroke.

I'm deliberating between Errebi Sprint doubles and Toshi singles. Pretty comparable price... anyone have any insight?

I ride a geared road bike (http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1800462&postcount=10485), but I'm damn sick of my crappy generic toe straps - I want something that's gonna feel more like a bear-trap on my feet and allow me to get mad power on my up-stroke.

Toshis without a doubt. I have doubles on my track pedals and singles on my commuters. They are great straps that last forever and do their job as well as it can be done.

I had a dad-driver (young kid in the back) lock up his brakes and drive off the road on the opposite side because he didn't see my outstretched arm signaling my left turn until the last minute. Simple honk would have avoided the whole thing, and I didn't freak out like he did, even though he was going 50.

Drove off the road into a country ditch. Guy. Everyone okay.

i have toshi singles on my bridgestone and have been happy with those for sure. i don't know why you'd need doubles on a road bike really.

i have toshi singles on my bridgestone and have been happy with those for sure. i don't know why you'd need doubles on a road bike really.

Yeah, I'm sure I don't "need"... but we all here understand how easily "need" and "want" can be confused. I want something that's going to hold my foot and not stretch or break. If Toshi singles will definitely do that as well or better than Errebi Sprint doubles... well then I suppose I'll let function overtake form.

does anyone know where i can pick these up online? i cant find the link thru searching... thanks

Yes its actually flyfishing heatshrink grip. There's one by Quick Grip and others, but you should be able to find it knowing that it's actually originally made for flyfishing!

(Some of those guys spend a TON on casting rods....)