Bicyclettes

canice

after several days of convincing myself I could afford this ( I can't ) I picked up this mid-late 80's Pogliaghli road bike.

SLX tubing, a mix of suntour superbe, 600, Sante, 105 levers and shifters and a campy seatpost. I need pedals asap as well as some less retarded bars (cinelli criterion maybe? did suntour make any cool bar/stem combos?)

alll I have is this shitty cell photo for now...

3716294528_fa212ddf8a.jpg?v=0

this looks sick. are you going to ride clipless?

Alright, so I am considering building my own bike, but seeing as I lack a lot of the knowledge that comes with experience, I need a bit of help. For starters I have a budget hovering around a grand and I currently ride a Fuji hybrid. I ride 20+ miles a day average but i'd like to up this to around 30. I stick to road biking mostly so I want a single speed with a flip flop hub ( I don't like gears and I would like to be able to try fixed gear in addition to having a freewheel). Any recs? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I currently ride straight handlebars but I wouldn't mind switching to drop.

this looks sick. are you going to ride clipless?

no, I use it for commuting and whatever so I want to ride with sneaks. I just got a pair of MKS GR-9's (have them on my track bike too) with toshi singles.

Alright, so I am considering building my own bike, but seeing as I lack a lot of the knowledge that comes with experience, I need a bit of help.

buy a cheap complete bike and over time improve the parts. once you are familiar with bike mechanics build your own bike.

building your own is alot of work and can be more expensive than a new complete.

I'd like to go with a pre-built wheelset so that part would be figured out. As far as cost I was told that replacing parts on a cheap bike can also end up being quite expensive. I think i'll just continue researching and riding what I ride.

No sense messing about with a ground-up build unless you have very specific tastes and don't care about the time it takes or adhering to your original budget very strictly. I've owned over twenty bikes so my parts closet(s) strewth, but that is unnecessary in '09 when the bike industry is doing great.

There are some bikes that will fit your needs from dealer brands, such as Cannondale, Specialized, Giant, etc. so I recommend you check those out, pick the one you like the looks of best, put on your preferred pedals and saddle and call it a day.

There are some bikes that will fit your needs from dealer brands, such as Cannondale, Specialized, Giant, etc. so I recommend you check those out, pick the one you like the looks of best, put on your preferred pedals and saddle and call it a day.

forget cannondale, its owned by dorel now and my guess is that its going to be going down hill.

i would love to make up something about weight balance or control points... but honestly, i just like the aesthetic. if it starts to get too heavy and hold me down on one-wheel stuff i'll take 'em off, but i anticipate leaving them on for a while. probably gonna stencil a pretty lady on them eventually. fun!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUFiowOcnIw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUFiowOcnIw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i don't know who that dude is, but i'm suspecting its some new jack thinking its cool to have a hot head about normal everyday riding in the city shit and some u-lock justice. either that or that guy was just having an awful morning.

Ya'll never pulled the U? I've waved it a few times, but mainly at idiot drivers. They usually chill out when they realize they're close to being minus one window or taillight.

it's cool until they hit you with their car.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUFiowOcnIw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUFiowOcnIw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That kid's a fucking idiot. Regardless of what that guy may have said, it's pretty clear he wasn't physically threatening the dude. Infuriating.

When someone follows you, its already invading your personal space.

Who knows, the guy couldve been threatening him for all we know.

I dont think the cyclist would get overly offended if this guy was just telling him how to ride his bike.

Maybe he did, maybe he didnt. Who knows.