Bicyclettes

canice

$60-$80

4-5 business days depending on carrier.

fedex is usually cheaper than ups.

fedex ground is like $45-65ish

anyone know a carrier that actually pays out on insurance you pay for?

Shit that sounds like a bad story...

I'm thinking I'm just gonna try to take it on the plane with me. I'm gonna be checking 2 bags in addition to my bike, and when I called Southwest I got the impression that fees do not stack. A 3rd bag costs $50 and an oversized piece of luggage costs $50, but the guy told me that the bike as a 3rd piece would cost me $50 total. Pretty cheap.

And I can bring some tools, post up in the airport and rebuild the bike then ride my overburdened ass to my buddy's house! Yeah!

every time a friend gets their bike trashed in transit, no one has paid out even the $100 of provided default insurance.

if the carrier asks you what's in the box, don't tell them a bike. you'll likely end up paying upwards of $300 - mainly for insurance on your bike.

Pack it like a shop would and you shouldn't have any problems at all. Use the structural power of your axles and bottom bracket to protect the frame.

Use the plastic axle spacers.

Use those plastic dome end-caps that go on wheel axles.

Fab up boxes that reinforce the inside of the box and enhance rigidity. Bikes are made to take knocks and even $12K rigs gotta get shipped; it's all about the packing.

shops do and they'll rape you for it - upwards of $200!

plastic inserts in the dropouts, cranks/bars/saddle/post removed, wrap frame in pipe insulator, wheels on the outside zip tied to the frame.

i've still seen well-packed bikes show up on the other end with a bent top tube or something sad with no recourse.

most bike shops should do a standard boxing for around $50. this is the way most bikes are boxed (not road bikes).

if you really want to take it with you safely, look for a bike shop that rents bike cases. the trico iron case is a nice one, but look forward to paying a lot of money to take it on the plane. this is unnecessary for inexpensive bikes though.

edit: the tinier the box you get the bike in, the less you pay. if you go from a mountain bike box to a road bike box, you can save like $20 on shipping. this requires more disassembling though.

Finally seen a Urban Outfitter bike in person...

Of course, the dumbass was running a red light, AS I WAS GOING THROUGH THE INTERSECTION. As well as his fat friend with a cage/strapless/brakeless conversion (now with drops since I seen him, cuz drops are legit.)

Next time these dumbass kids run a light, nearly into me, Im chasin them down.

Hm. Well for some reason I feel safer bringing my bike as checked luggage on a flight versus shipping it - less time it's out of my hands (no loading on and off of trucks, chilling in a warehouse, etc). I suppose I'll just go pick up the necessary packing materials and give myself a solid afternoon to pack the motherfucker as tight as possible

Hm. Well for some reason I feel safer bringing my bike as checked luggage on a flight versus shipping it - less time it's out of my hands (no loading on and off of trucks, chilling in a warehouse, etc). I suppose I'll just go pick up the necessary packing materials and give myself a solid afternoon to pack the motherfucker as tight as possible

^ I wonder if any bike shops provide packing services? Might be worth looking into. Pay 'em $20 and know that shit's packed up safe as possible

i know for a fact helen's cycles will pack and ship your bike for you. probably won't hurt to give them a call to get ballpark estimate.