Bicyclettes

canice

When someone follows you, its already invading your personal space.

Who knows, the guy couldve been threatening him for all we know.

I dont think the cyclist would get overly offended if this guy was just telling him how to ride his bike.

Maybe he did, maybe he didnt. Who knows.

The guy was walking beside him. it doesn't matter what he's saying, it doesn't warrant the kid repeatedly hitting him in the face with a heavy piece of metal.

You're free to have a different opinion, obviously...

but you're wrong.

I do wonder what caused someone to start filming, though.

I love being fast for grumpy drivers.

When I show up all grizzly at the window 30 seconds later and act all Best Bros, I've yet to come across anyone that won't get SUPER embarrassed and put their tail between their legs while they have to STILL wait for the light.

I live out loud, motherfuckers.

Getting belligerent isn't going to make anyone look good, and public embarrassment lasts a lot longer than scrapes.

^^^

On the flipside, I fucking hate getting passed right before a stop sign when going the speed limit. I mean, shit, would you do that to a motorcycle? People only wish to treat bikes as a vehicle when it benefits them.

Might be a big mistake but I ordered a frame last night. I've got over a month to build up a bike, so it should be fine.

my brother and i picked this up on craigslist a couple days ago. great condition, we bought it from the 2nd owner who loved his bikes. apparently the first owner mixed up shimano and campagnolo parts, the guy we bought it off of put all new campagnolo parts on it.

bianchi1.jpg

bianchi2.jpg

bianchi3.jpg

things im looking to change so far:

-ordered celeste tires to replace the red ones just so its more aesthetically pleasing for me (not big on the celeste-red contrast)

-raise the seat post

- change the saddle out (the one on it is kinda comfy though)

-swap the stem out for something a little shorter

-change out the pedals; considering clipless though i know i will probably commute on it.

crissy if it is your first bike i would suggest not getting a fixed gear. they are not easy if you are a novice especially in navigating cities, get something with gears or a single speed.

if you had to get one of those two bikes get the red one, the components looks a little better, just throw a brake on it and change out the pedals.

Even though its not your first bike, it would still be hard for you to start off with a fixed gear. try just getting a roadie for now, then if you want to change to fuxed, you should try building your own, that way, you'll care about it more and its good for learning about cycling .

a little help here guys with your expertise. this is my first bike so i'm not sure how to decide...

this or that?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1287316444.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/1289312197.html (guy is offering me 275 for it)

<3 thanks

You should get something around a 53. Depending on the frame you decide to get, a 54s stand over height might be too tall (iono if you have long legs or not, so jus sayin.)

Since youre in San Jose, you can check Hyland Bikes. I think they have some fixed gear stuffs, if you decide to get one. Of course, you can always go the flip flop hub route, and switch from a single speed freewheel to a fixed gear, later on...

I'll be riding in San Jose today, so if you see a tall Filipino dude with dreads, with 2-3 white dudes, aloha at us.

Finished yesterday, by adding one single chain link...

20090726172227.jpg

Same wheels from the Pista. Pista is being clear coated.

If anyone can get some Vivalo decals, (I just need two for the downtube,) let me know.

Im not down to pay NJS not so super market price...

VIVARO!

You should get something around a 53. Depending on the frame you decide to get, a 54s stand over height might be too tall (iono if you have long legs or not, so jus sayin.)

Since youre in San Jose, you can check Hyland Bikes. I think they have some fixed gear stuffs, if you decide to get one. Of course, you can always go the flip flop hub route, and switch from a single speed freewheel to a fixed gear, later on...

I did actually journey up to Hyland, I even tried Fast Bicycle and a bunch of other stuff... but damn prices be high :(... I wasn't looking on spending too much.

Thanks for the advice though, I do need to reconsider some stuff haha

Yea, theyre not really "budget" priced bikes... As someone said earlier, check out bikesdirect.com. Eventually youll end up replacing almost all the parts. But, youll end up looking like a bunch of people in SJ, with the same bikes :\

that's a damn tall vivalo, did you get it imported?

I got the frame from craigslist. The downtube was replaced by Bernie Mikkelson, here in the Bay Area. Its a 57. The headtube is mad big.

Any college cyclists? Im going in to my senior year but just got serious about cycling this past year (putting in 200ish miles a week this summer with my full time job). This has all been done on my noble steel steed (late 80s Bianchi road bike with dt shifters). Just checking out local races it seems like I'd be at a slight disadvantage or at least odd (wo)man out with dt shifters instead of brifters. Can any college racers let me know if this indeed would be the case. I'm also looking to get a alu road bike at the end of the summer- most likely a used caad 9 unless someone can talk me another way.

why not get a fixed gear for your first bike? you'll hate it until your legs are strong enough, but why not? you can always put a freewheel on it.

everyone watch out for craigslist bikes like those. they are complete pieces of shit. there was a seller on ebay making bikes like that for a long time and my homie got taken. more often than not they just throw a single ring on, a garbage cog on the back with an old bottom bracket lock ring (if even that), and shorten the chain. with shitty one piece cranks or older road ones like that 2nd bike, you don't have the control you need to properly stop as they will flex like a motherfucker. that pair on the red bike could separate from the spider as well with the continued pressure.

if you don't know what you're buying, seriously just go for a kilo tt or off the rack bike. they're nice, reliable and you can sell it for decent cash if you end up hating it.

Any college cyclists? Im going in to my senior year but just got serious about cycling this past year (putting in 200ish miles a week this summer with my full time job). This has all been done on my noble steel steed (late 80s Bianchi road bike with dt shifters). Just checking out local races it seems like I'd be at a slight disadvantage or at least odd (wo)man out with dt shifters instead of brifters. Can any college racers let me know if this indeed would be the case. I'm also looking to get a alu road bike at the end of the summer- most likely a used caad 9 unless someone can talk me another way.

I'm not sure how your local races are, but basically all official road races do not allow dt shifters, only brifters. The caad 9 is a pretty great bike to have for these races though. We carry them at my shop and people generally seem to like them.

i think going fixed or road is a choice of preference. I do have respect for fixie riders, but i can't say that it is for everyone. I love my bianchi san jose (flip flop hub) and it has definitely made me stronger, but god damn i love my bianchi veloce. I just have a lot more possibilities and fun on my road bike because i'm not really deterred by much. sure, you can argue that a fixie rider can be just as good and do the same shit, but you definitely have to commit to it and love it (i love the speed of coasting down hills without worrying of being thrown over my handle bars or failing at skidding and shiz).

crissy - at your height look at 50-53; i think the generalization is that girls tend to have longer legs and shorter torsos, so the bigger the size might create too much of a reach for you that'll needlessly stress your back and shoulders. if you want to go fixed, i suggest picking up an older road bike first and when you wanna fully commit, just convert it.

for the thousandth time: everyone do this and get a bike that fits.

@cure ... let the person go out and ride some bikes and figure it out for themselves. everyone's into it for different reasons and will like to ride a different way. in the city i hate riding my road bike. i'm used to riding a fixed drivetrain and react with my legs instead of grabbing for a brake, so a road bike lacks that control for me. someone else might feel differently of course.

if you think you want to go fixed, it makes way more sense to get a cheap off the peg frame with a brake. you can go singlespeed with a $20 part if you want to coast. unless you have a homie that's going to do it for you, converting an old road bike would involve a ton of parts knowledge to even be able to track down what you'd need to convert it at a decent price and that's if you were smart enough to buy something with horizontal dropouts in the first place.