Bicyclettes

canice

also used carbon fiber is SUPER sketchy (I got a lecture on this from my good buddy who's a materials engineer when I was considering a used carbon fork) - it has a wicked tendency to show no warning signs before failing catastrophically. I would be wary about being confident that that bump in the rim hasn't translated to some dangerous warping with the carbon in the actual wheel.

^lol why did he do that

shekki - i'd agree with dkatz. Anything carbon fiber, like forks and whatnot, doesn't really show how much wear its been through. I wouldn't try to buy a carbon fiber part used unless you know the guy personally and know what its been through.

Need some suggestions... Apologizing ahead of time for some booby ass posting. But Id rather post here than Hypebeast or a Bikeforums. Duh.

Anyways.

Ive decided to dedicate my Vivalo to a fallen friend. Hes Japanese, so it kinda works.

This is the basic set up I figured out in my head...

- Nitto Pearl - 123/5s.

- Lavender-ish paint job with gold flake? Or just regular silver flake... Not 100% sure on the flake. ANYWAYS...

- Suzue Discos to Open Pros

- Im bidding on a Suntour seat post... Im not sure which seat post Id want on it. Wouldnt mind a Campy Aero seat post... But its a 26.6. Kinda hard to find.

Now here is where I might want to swap out parts from my bikes...

- It currently has a Sugino 75 BB and Crankset.

My Cannondale has a Campy BB and cranks, and just picked up a 51 Campy ring today.

In my head I figured, since a Cannondale is more modern, and the Vivalo has a "classy-er" look to it (lugs and shit) should I put the Campy on that?

Its already a cluster fuck of parts and shit, but its what I came up with, in my head.

I know I can just swap out the cranks, but Id rather have it be matchy matchy, ya hurd?

Oh. Cannondale has a Campy Aero post, Flite Saddle, Cinelli stem to some old ass black Pista bars and DeepVs to Phils.

Mainly thinking of keeping the Campy on that, is cuz of the Seat post. Lame? Yea.

Fuckin noob boobin it right now...

Were it me I'd ream/file the seat tube to 26.8 to be more compatible with many posts instead of few; no big deal there.

I'd keep the Sugino's on the Vivalo. Especially if it's the modern Campag cranks instead of the pre-C-Record (or C Record) cranks. Ultimate would be Suntour cranks, but those are hard as fuck to get ahold of.

No deep rims on the Vivalo.

No riding dented tubies. You're not going to roll a properly glued tire (key word properly) but you WOULD feel like you were riding over railroad ties all the time. (gadunkgadunkgadunkgadunkgadunk) I've dented a rim or two, but nothing that was a whole wheel!

I'm thinking about switching out my Crankset. It's just a stock one on my fixie. What would you think the quality difference would be between Origin8, Pake, and Sugino (I'm guessing quality ascends in that order, too)?

If I get some 165mm arms and new chainring, should I always change the BB also? or usually can keep it?

There's no way in hell I'd ride on a dented tubular rim.

I've seen what happens when you roll a tubular off the rim, and it ain't pretty.

Might want to upgrade your dental coverage if you're thinking of going for that wheel.

Totally agree. That happens a lot no matter how much glue you use.

I'm thinking about switching out my Crankset. It's just a stock one on my fixie. What would you think the quality difference would be between Origin8, Pake, and Sugino (I'm guessing quality ascends in that order, too)?

If I get some 165mm arms and new chainring, should I always change the BB also? or usually can keep it?

if you're talking about sugino messengers, then get those. you would have to replace the bottom bracket (probably). cause messenger's are.....103 i tihnk it is. you'll probly have to get 68x103 bottom bracket.

don't bother with origin8 or pake. unless you're on a budget.

I ended up getting a Kazane crankset. I got the old style though. They're a marked improvement over the stock Truvativs I had. My shop also carried the Sugino messengers and Soma Hellyers. I liked all three but ended up going with Kazane because I liked the looks of them better.