Bicyclettes

canice

how about a simple kryptoite ulock with an insurance policy, as long as you fill the thing out they'll replace your bike if stolen (mine has a $1300 cap, but my bikes not worth that much). i guess i just dont get sentimental about bikes, as long as they'll replace it i'd go for a smaller lock.

what/where are you locking up?

for my beater trek1500, i just ulock it and whatever.

for my better frames, if I'm going to class/lab, I'll bring it in. Better to have a prof or PI complain instead of committing suicide because my frame was stolen.

i use a kryptonite evolution u lock.

do you know of anyone who's gotten a ulock cut before?

I luckily haven't gotten a Kryptonite cut. Kryptonite locks are solid, and a good investment, however they're notoriously chinsy about if and what they'll pay out for broken locks.

You need to supply them with the broken parts of the lock, not to mention that you need to register your bike with them, provide a receipt stating the value and jump through other annoying hoops. I've also heard that they pay pennies on the dollar for the actual value of your bike. Think of them as insurance companies paying out if you've ever been in an accident in your car; they don't exactly hop-to to pay you. Buy a Kryptonite because their nicer locks are fairly secure; not because your bike will get replaced if it's stolen.

Any thief can cut any lock if they put their mind to it (I just heard rumors of thieves in LA taking apart car batteries and corroding the lock mechanisms on U Locks with battery acid.) You just have to be smart about where you lock it; to what, at what time and for how long. I have a New York chain because I hope it causes any potential thieves to be put off by it enough to move on to another bike.

the lock really depends on your location. if your in some suburb in the middle of nowhere, a shitty cable lock would be fine. but if your in a major city, you'll need something bulky. i use a kryptonite evolultion mini and its awesome. kids at my college use shit locks all the time on some more costly bikes and they never get stolen.

mlproject, was your cinelli locked up on bowery and e. 2nd yesterday afternoon?

ok so, i locked my bike up outside of work like, 3 months ago. i lost the key that day and just kind of forgot about it cuz i bought the bike for $3 and the lock was someone elses who had already long since forgotten it. so i walked by the other day and its still there and all this talk of cracking ulocks has got me thinking, can someone elaborate on just how easy it is? cuz i would like to get my bike back.

i know a couple people that have had bikes stolen/lost keys and had to get their locks removed. usually it's an angle grinder or big bolt cutters, some bike shops in the city offer a service for kids that loose their keys even. however, if someone's going to go that far they're going to get the bike even if they have to cut whatever it's locked to (poles, etc.) I know with my lock, i have to provide a police report and receipts, and i'll get a check.

when it really comes down to it, i've got a bike that i'll lock and a bike that i don't. if i walk out and my bike's gone, i'll be mad, but i wont loose sleep, because my nice bike's home locked in my apartment. even if you put it on your renter's insurance/homeowners, it's worth it to have a back up plan for everything.

yeah, it's a standard 43mm of rake. the fork isn't as smooth as other carbon forks i've ridden, but it is ridiculously stiff...you point, it goes without hesistation. not as noticeable with the tubeless wheels seen in the picture, but when the tubulars go on, it's obvious.

--edit--

dropped my saddle 4mm.

anybody have any ideas as to what fork I might put on a cinelli vigorelli frame to make it capable of a front brake? I was thinking to just get any lighter fork, then have it painted to resemble the existing fork, but maybe one of you has an idea of a front brake drilled fork that would look nice on the vigorelli

if you need a bike that will accomodate a brake, don't buy a vigorelli.

i know it's probs been asked a thousand times but i need some advice on locks.

abus

Steel-O-Flex%201000%202.jpg

or

kryptonite

kryptonite-new-york-forg1.jpg

any help much appreciated...

DO NOT buy the abus, I had that one a year or two a go and it resulted in my bike getting nicked, its ok if its just gonna be used on the street for an hour or two at a time, but for anything else go with the krypto.

I have the krypto now and its a beast, you arent going to cut through it in a hurry, but it ways a tonne so its not something youd want to be lugging around.

Can someone recommend a good chain lube for relatively wet weather. the past few times i've just had it lubed at the shop rather than lubed it myself. with this wet pacific northwest weather im gonna need to clean and re-lube my chain a lot.

when you have pinch flats, no way to patch it up and carry on cycling?

they sell patch kits that you can glue on or glueless sticky ones. i would recommend the glueless--> park superpatch (gp-2)

all you do is find the flat, rough up the tube with the sandpaper they give you, pop on the patch, and reinstall. make sure to check your tire for any sharp debris that may have caused the flat by running your fingers on the inside.

they sell patch kits that you can glue on or glueless sticky ones. i would recommend the glueless--> park superpatch (gp-2)

all you do is find the flat, rough up the tube with the sandpaper they give you, pop on the patch, and reinstall. make sure to check your tire for any sharp debris that may have caused the flat by running your fingers on the inside.

But dont do it with your bare fingers, or else youll have a nasty gash if theres broken glass. ;)

BROKEN GLASS EVERYWHERE

naw, there was a vigorelli definately locked up on bowery and 2nd around 2pm. i didn't catch a good look at it cause i was driving. pretty close by though..

hmmm.. if it had drops and the blue rear end it could have been kunle's. i think there's like 10 or so in the city that i see pretty frequently, but a few are stripped.

Can someone recommend a good chain lube for relatively wet weather. the past few times i've just had it lubed at the shop rather than lubed it myself. with this wet pacific northwest weather im gonna need to clean and re-lube my chain a lot.

Best balance for protection from wet and not picking up gunk/ease of cleaning for me has been the Finish Line Wet (green.)

You can use thicker lubes like Phil Wood or Syn Lube, but they are pretty gross to use, albeit they last FOREVER.

I've been using the Finish Line for about three years now; a bottle lasts about a year or so.... two bikes.