MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

nice sharing foxy2

the extended collar tab also serves several other purposes, in those days when hardworking gentlemen do not have much in their wardrobe for fancy wear, the workshirt also doubles as their sunday best. since it has no starched collars or ruffs, the tab collar actually helps to center and makes it easier for a neck-tie knot to 'sit properly'

I thought it was for expansion. If you have a fat neck you just button the second chinstrap buttonhole to the top button. Mf pictures show this.

this as well, and i remember seeing old pictures of broiler room workers who used it to secure neck-cloths and kerchiefs (to absorb perspiration) tucked round their necks.

another, which someone told me before and i believe is a post-design purpose. is that some would use it to secure their hat ties... not so sure if it's true but if it does prevent someone from getting their neck cut from a hat-string on a windy day... hahaha!!

as for now... it's main use for me is to hold my earphone wires nicely, minimise dangling so that the ear buds don't get ripped out painfully everytime the wire snags on something...

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

img57236337.jpg

helo guys, i want to ask..

in one of mister freedom shirt, there's something interesting,, the blue fabric behind collar .. what is the name of that ? and what for they use it ? is it just for some aesthetic or any function of that ?

I presume this is to give the collar point some extra heft so that it resists curling upward toward the face -- Just an educated guess.

Originally used to insert removable 'collar stays', to keep collar points straight. Called 'col a baleine' in french because those stays were first made of whale 'bones'.

An 'Apache' trick was to stitch razor blades on the inside of their coat collars, to prevent being grabbed by the collar in street fights.

With shirting, sticking a blade in those concealed indigo popeline bags might have been an option...

The white bias tape loops are designed to hold the scarf.

Originally used to insert removable 'collar stays', to keep collar points straight. Called 'col a baleine' in french because those stays were first made of whale 'bones'.

An 'Apache' trick was to stitch razor blades on the inside of their coat collars, to prevent being grabbed by the collar in street fights.

With shirting, sticking a blade in those concealed indigo popeline bags might have been an option...

Interesting info. Thanks, Christophe.

And nice paying attention to details, Nakala. I wasn't really aware of this finer point of the Hirondelle.

wow Thanks Christope, you're the man !

There's a great '80's film called "the hit" featuring a super-elegant terence stamp, where a young tim roth describes the various weaponry he has hidden in the seams of his suit jacket a l'apache

This trick has been co-opted by a few different 'street cultures' over the years. Both the Mods and the Rockers used similar in the 50's and 60's. In the recent remake of Brighton Rock they have fish hooks in the collar of a Parka. This to me seems counter productive though because if grabbed, the hand would they stay attached to said collar. You'd better be able to slip out of your coat quickly and hope a button or zipper doesn't get stuck.

Edited by devilish

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some stuff come up, and I'm looking to sell my Road Champs. I haven't worn them in about 6 months, and some stuff has come up in my life... If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. Size 11.5.

I wish they were a size smaller my man, I'd love to help ya out and own a pair. Hope all is well

Edited by illumin8em