MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

you know for the price of the MF jacket you could buy an original m42....

The only thing that really stands out on that jacket that I just can't stand is the bright pink "Ice cream" cone flap....

Is it detachable?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think the flap happy is talking about is detachable just buttoned on.

So if you choose you can take it off. Also the original M42 from 42 which is unmarked was around $2000, so a bit more expensive then the mulholland. But yes I am sure you may be able to find one cheaper either a repro or marked one. If you find one in the condition the one shown for cheaper buy it, your getting a deal. Just like an original n-1foul weather jacket will cost you 800 and up. I have never found one for cheaper.

you know for the price of the MF jacket you could buy an original m42....

The only thing that really stands out on that jacket that I just can't stand is the bright pink "Ice cream" cone flap....

Is it detachable?

I must have spent an entire days worth of time staring at that jacket and I have yet to see anything pink... The red plaid on the inside of the throat flap is the same plaid as the watch pocket of my riders dungarees and it's a red/black plaid...

sz 36 if you know of a source. I tried to search the Japanese storefronts but it doesn't appear to be a size most vendors carry over there...

Sorry, haven't ever seen a 36 myself. I could get my hands on a pair of 34s, which were allegedly no longer available at retail anywhere, but these aren't exactly the kind of piece that look great sized down two. Let me know if you are interested.

I feel like Mister Freedom does a lot of great denim pieces... beautiful character and nice details.

I also feel that anything else they do, doesn't really compare. I'm not saying it looks bad, but it doesn't justify the price to me like the denim pieces do.

Perhaps there's something I'm not quite grasping?

I agree with you about some of the denim pieces and jackets. Individually they're beautiful. I can't hate on the mulholland master, the mechanic's sweater, the foul weather coat, etc. They're nice.

But the $190 scarves and the $140 wool caps are pure branding and a cash grab. It is vintage reselling. The scarves are vintage fabric swatches with a tag stitched on--same deal with the watch caps and the American Eagle-esque stencil. And you're kidding yourself if you think they're "passing on the savings" with those prices.

I'm probably going to get more negs here like I did in the "denim lifestyle" thread ("Mfsc does not deserve this shit talking" is an actual quote). But the latter products leave a bad taste in my mouth and keep me away from the brand generally.

I still enjoy seeing these things worn tastefully and nerding out over the details--it's just not a brand I'm comfortable supporting.

I

...But the $190 scarves and the $140 wool caps are pure branding and a cash grab...

I have to agree on the watchcap, I bought the Buzz Rickson a4 watchcap for half the price of the MF one, now I can't imagine the MF watchcap being so much better that it has to cost twice as much, for all we know, they are both made at Toyo enterprises... (dunno tho, just thinking, sugarcane is Toyo, so is Buzz, so...)

oh, never noticed that...

anyhow, "NOS" or not, wool is wool I figure, just because it's old stock/vintage, doesn't make it better...

I feel like Mister Freedom does a lot of great denim pieces... beautiful character and nice details.

I also feel that anything else they do, doesn't really compare. I'm not saying it looks bad, but it doesn't justify the price to me like the denim pieces do.

Perhaps there's something I'm not quite grasping?

Ever seen any of it in person?

J Crew has the Mulholland Master

"We went straight to Mister Freedom's warehouse in L.A. to handpick this limited-edition collector's piece."

Really?

---

"USA"

Really again?

poop, i mustve lost weight recently, my Riders Dungarees in 30 are a size too big. Have already re-ordered in size 28 since they are damned gorgeous

i have a pair and mine were about an inch oversized anyway so im sure you should fir the smaller ones perfectly.

i hear you kiya, its amazing the hype some people will use to promote a product isnt it?!

J Crew has the Mulholland Master
"We went straight to Mister Freedom's warehouse in L.A. to handpick this limited-edition collector's piece."

Really?

---

"USA"

Really again?

i have a pair and mine were about an inch oversized anyway so im sure you should fir the smaller ones perfectly.

i hear you kiya, its amazing the hype some people will use to promote a product isnt it?!

Here is the full text for anyone interested or too lazy.

"We went straight to Mister Freedom's warehouse in L.A. to handpick this limited-edition collector's piece. Named after the city's famed highway Mulholland Drive, this vintage-inspired motorcycle-meets-military jacket is fully equipped with authentic U.S. military hardware—metal snaps, hooks and zipper—as well as the brand's "new-old stock" components, like metal buckles used for the throat strap and belt. Made from "jungle cloth," a heavy 100 percent cotton twill originally developed for the U.S. Navy that's tightly woven for wind proofing and has water-repellent qualities (it just gets better with age). Detachable throat guard. Zip closure with clasps. Adjustable cuffs with snaps. Flap pockets, interior patch pocket. Fully lined. A Collector's Item. USA. Hand wash. Available in select stores." - J.Crew

Honestly, I think J Crew hypes MF about as gently as they possibly could. According to Christophe, the J Crew men's designers have been hitting MF for a while. If you read the interview with Christophe in Inventory mag, you'll see that he views J Crew selling MF as a very good thing considering that he's gotten so little exposure in the US until very recently. Not sure what the disdain for J Crew is for other than not wanting some DB wearing the MF we love without knowing anything about it..

That said, I personally would much rather have my money go straight to kiya or Christophe, two guys who care deeply about what they sell, than to J Crew.

Ever seen any of it in person?

I have seen them all in person. I went and checked out the mulholland master and the bronco champ jacket. Didn't really like either one and regarding the bronco champ, I was ready to be blown away by the leather, but I would still rather have an Aero over that jacket any day, even it wasn't so flashy. I did see the boots, which are beautiful, but there is no way I could justify a grand for those boots. Maybe $600-$700.

The pieces are all really nice looking and well made, but I still feel like the price is a bit high.