Holy Grails: Personal Collection

aho

Good idea for a thread. I agree on the eh 15th 1001xx. I will expands post later....

Edit...

1. Denim:

My two favorite jeans of all time are my Samurai 0500xx and warehouse 1001xx 15th anniversary. I'd pick the warehouse overall and will get mine out again in the spring even though they are pretty trashed.

2. Boots:

The ones I wear most are my Russell Moccasins. Immensely comfortable all day long.

8432436435_0ea5762718_c.jpg

10882577896_f8dca11959_c.jpg

3. Going to have to go with a Post O'alls chambray engineers shirt. I wear it far too much year after year.

Edited by fre-co

(1) Ande Whall 2009 Unsanforized Cone Denim, Cougars

The gateway of my interest with denim and sufu are embodied in this pair. After admiring good fits and well faded pairs of jeans from sufu members cheap(^) and poly alike, I was determined to commit to wearing this pair of Ande Whall's in 2009.

At that time I had yet to fully appreciate the ridiculous amount of details that these possessed, yet they became my standard for future garment purchases. Notice the selvedge fly and belt loops, felled seams in the construction of the seat and rise, single needle stitching, and hidden rivets. I now know that this standard is only ever (similarly) achieved when artisans are passionate about crafting fabrics, hardware, and the garments themselves.

Although this pair never developed the high contrast fades that (at that time) I was hoping for, I've grown to appreciate the vintage vibe of the Cone denim. Coupled with the modern slight taper of the Cougar cut, these Ande's are a perennial favorite of mine.

AndeWhall_1.jpg

AndeWhall_4.jpg

aw5.jpg

aw7.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) Iron Heart 17 oz. Overdyed Denim Shirt/Jacket - IHD-01od

I'd be remiss if I didn't put IH overdyed denim on here. It is buttery soft out of the box and dynamic in tone and hue, which makes it terribly difficult to photograph. This shirt/jacket is probably the single thing I'd grab if my apartment were going up in flames.

ihd01od_1.jpg

ihd01od_2.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(3) Strike Gold Hooded Sweats + Stevenson Overall Co. Hilts Chinos

Shit, how does anyone go about buying three of any one thing?

Regarding the Strike Gold hooded sweatshirt: I tried on the black sweat (pictured below) at SESF never intending to buy such a simple basic item as a blank hooded sweatshirt. At the time I thought to myself, "this is Self Edge and, of course, what I'm going here for is supposed to be unique and won't be sold again." I was thumbing my way through the shirts and stopped at the Strike Gold stuff; pleasantly surprised at how substantial their jersey fabric was. I tried on the hoodie and remarked at how I've never put on a sweatshirt that didn't make me look sloppy and fashionably lazy. I believe that this is due to (1) the lack of side seams in the body, (2) the tubular arms which are tangentially sewn into the body, and (3) how the hood forms a shroud around the neck. I bought the black one then and wore it everyday for the next two months. A year later, the arms are faded from repeated creasing and it is slightly washed out from being bleached by the sun (no washes yet). I expect to take this sweat to the grave! I purchased the navy blue one month after I bought the black and could not help myself after seeing the indigo one in person a few weeks ago. I plan to wash the indigo one regularly and see how (or if) they evolve differently.

DSCF3694%20(3).jpg

DSCF3665.jpg

Kenny Fabrikant once told me that shorts are best made from an old pair of pants. I acquired the blue SoC hilts first. The fit was spot on. With a comfortable rise and a modern slim silhouette through the leg, I could wear them anywhere from formal events to the pub. The weave of the hilts is extremely tight which makes them more stout than most chino fabric that I've handled, yet they are pliable and a good weight to wear all year round. I've mostly worn and washed the khaki ones (below) and you can already see the vertical fading that is developing. After purchasing the green hilts to wear at a friend's summer wedding, I pondered purchasing the khaki's to chop into shorts. I was a little apprehensive about doing this as the fit on these is arguably better than any jean that I own, but I am glad that I did...turns out, Kenny was right!

DSCF3715.jpg

DSCF3830%20(2).jpg
Jan 2014

Edited by Al6ert

1) Samurai S5000VX 21oz. These were the jeans that made me start the first HWDC, and I can honestly say that they were the true beginning of getting really into this whole crazy denim thing for me, prior to these I had only really worn LVC, Uniqlo and Supreme.

2013-05-18183839_zps6ad21e8c.jpg

2) Whites Bounty Hunters in black dress leather with a medallion toe cap. I've worn and loved Whites boots for a few years now, but apart from my Oxfords I always bought on sale or in the second hand market. These were the boots that I mocked up time after time on the "build a boot" platform, so for me to own them is like a personal footwear dream come to life. Plus, nothing touches the Whites arch ease system for me as I have massively high arches.

2013-11-02111746_zpsb4461d62.jpg

3) Trophy Reservoir Hood jacket. This is the jacket that made me want to work with Trophy, I fell in love with this within a second of seeing it and it remains my favourite piece of outerwear ever, by anyone. The details are insane, from the Talon zipper to the anodised metal clips to the full flannel lining and cord lined cuffs and throat latch. Even now I spot things about how this jacket was made which still amaze me.

IMG_0630_zpsebd1b93b.jpg

Wanted to add this... Its maybe 6 or 7 different types of denim from jeans I've collected and worn into the ground or just didn't work, and the bottom is a cinch wool flannel that my wife found 6 yards of... It's not so much a grail as something that I'll never get rid of.... It would be impossible to find another one like it.

image.jpg

That's such a great idea.  I kick myself pretty often for selling off pairs of jeans that didn't work out for whatever reason.  For most of them, all I have are a handful of pictures on my hard drive, if I have even that.

I really like that Momotaro jacket BM. I haven't worn a denim jacket for years but have been considering one for the warmer months and that is the item that's been attracting my attention for a while now. The fit seems slightly longer and trimmer than the standard Type 2 and I like the subtle pocket arcs and bronze buttons. It's very understated.

Ah, do you recall there being much in it with the cut? Momo still the longer jacket perhaps?

edit - ps, sorry, again, thread crashing..

sorry,  i was @work when i posted reply__ sleeve measurement were same [ie, as per Momo sz 42 vs Eternal sz L,  but center back on Momo is longer by about an inch than that of Eternal.

construction-wise,  the Momo has back pleats @back yoke & bottom [like on the original design]  while the Eternal has back pleats @yoke only ...   :rolleyes:  i think

Edited by BrownMetallic

Not sure if "grail" is the right category for what I post, but I'll act as the ones before me did and post my current favorite pieces.

1.) Denim: Samurai 710. Best fit, great character, lots of good memories and my most faded pair. There are rarer pairs in my collection that could be consideredgrail by some, but to me the value of a pair of jeans increases with wear and so these are my choice.

yixh.jpg

5hf9.jpg

a34j.jpg

2.) Shirt: I love flannels and re-black has always been my favorite colourway. Add a perfect fit and super thick fabric that gets nice character with wear and you have the IH SH72. I got another one as backup and wear it nearly everyday.

fmz8.jpg

3.) Belt: Split between my 2 year old Samurai A 103, that aged nicely and fits like a dream and the very recent FH belt. The FH is even thicker and the buckle is just amazing. I've never seen a better belt before.

c15w.jpg
cbob.jpg

4.) Shoes / Boots: I have not acquired my grail pair yet, but try to do so this year. In terms of sneakers I love the Sk-8 Hi, but that's nothing for this forum.

5.) Sweat: Ballpark / Joe Mc Coys Hoodie. Loopwheeled or not, the fabric and fit is ace and it's so warm you can wear it as a light winter jacket with a flannel underneath.

1cwk.jpg

ohhk.jpg

There are rarer pairs in my collection that could be considered grail by some, but to me the value of a pair of jeans increases with wear and so these are my choice.

mosdef agree with this.  i mean, it is not easy, but would rather part with a rare piece that's unworn or lightly worn, than something that i've invested time in & has evo-ed on me.

... afterall,  thread is about "our" personal grail__ not other peeps definition of what is grail, right?  ;)

edit: ...  'reminds me to post up my belt, as well

Edited by BrownMetallic

This is my modded Aero half-belt in FQHH. It's about 10 years old, my old man (now departed) bought it for me so it holds considerable sentimental value. Originally it did not have the fur collar, this was added after about 3 years wear with the standard collar. It was also (perfectly) re-cut (down from a 46 to 44) after I lost a bunch of weight. 

AhVdud0.jpg

J6qup6D.jpgITFfymu.jpgvlnxXdq.jpgqZbrYxE.jpg