superconfessional

A few of the nicest, most welcoming dudes I met in college belonged to a frat. Co-sign Spaghetti heavily -- don't shut your mind off to entire groups of people. I'm nowhere near being Mr. Sociable, but I totally disagree that you 'shouldn't be comfortable at a frat party.' If you're comfortable with yourself, then it seems like you should be comfortable anywhere, even around people who aren't like you. The benefit is that, divorced from that fear that comes from hanging out with people who aren't exactly like you, you get to interact with and learn about people who aren't anything like you (or even discover that you've got more real human stuff in common than you realized, which is just the best in terms of real cuddly, heartwarming, mind-broadening shit).

x3

all the frat dudes i knew in college were super cool and were actually less judgmental than at least half of the people on this forum. all they cared about were good times and pussy.

if you're in college and what 'all you care about' doesn't include good times and pussy something's wrong with you

i assume by "good times" you mean partying, and then i guess we'll have to disagree. i realized this was an unsatisfying lifestyle by the end of my first semester. not saying these are categorically wrong pursuits but ultimately i look back on all of it as one blur that doesn't really mean much of anything to me now.

anyway, to be fair, fraternities in the south are more extreme than elsewhere. i went to the university of colorado briefly and having gone to a few frat parties there i would say they weren't as bad. still, i would rather stay at home than go to one now.

A few of the nicest, most welcoming dudes I met in college belonged to a frat. Co-sign Spaghetti heavily -- don't shut your mind off to entire groups of people. I'm nowhere near being Mr. Sociable, but I totally disagree that you 'shouldn't be comfortable at a frat party.' If you're comfortable with yourself, then it seems like you should be comfortable anywhere, even around people who aren't like you. The benefit is that, divorced from that fear that comes from hanging out with people who aren't exactly like you, you get to interact with and learn about people who aren't anything like you (or even discover that you've got more real human stuff in common than you realized, which is just the best in terms of real cuddly, heartwarming, mind-broadening shit).

no, you definitely can be uncomfortable with people who aren't like you and still be perfectly comfortable with yourself. like, i would say the vast majority of people would be rightfully uncomfortable at a my little pony convention (exception: my roommate). and i'd say that an atheist is probably going to be uncomfortable in an extreme evangelical church. i would also say that if someone is being really fucking creepy with you, you probably should be uncomfortable (see merryburger).

You missed the entire point, which is that when you prejudge an entire group, you're missing out on the potential to learn something and round yourself out. You can decide you don't enjoy that kind of party or certain people once you spend time with them, but your blanket statement of 'you shouldn't be comfortable there' -- that's total, hide-yourself-from-the-world, stereotype-everyone nonsense.

As to your examples, an atheist going to an evangelical church or any one of us going to a My Little Pony convention (which is just another way of saying we should shun everyone on the autism spectrum) -- I think those are actually ideal world scenarios, where we may disagree and have different preferences but still be able to commune with and have empathy for one another.

You missed the entire point, which is that when you prejudge an entire group, you're missing out on the potential to learn something and round yourself out. You can decide you don't enjoy that kind of party or certain people once you spend time with them, but your blanket statement of 'you shouldn't be comfortable there' -- that's total, hide-yourself-from-the-world, stereotype-everyone nonsense.

not really. mikey said he was at a frat party; i was relating my experiences at frat parties. that's not really hide yourself from everyone nonsense. prejudices exist for a reason - they help you adequately predict what will happen based on past experiences. i'm not going to say that every person in a frat is a terrible person who i wouldn't be able to stand 5 minutes with, but i generally find them unsavory and would prefer to seek company amongst others as i have a significantly better success rate that way. yeah, it would be reclusive and hiding if i said "no, never go to a frat party," but i didn't (though to be fair you don't really need to go to one to witness one).

and 'learning about myself' and 'rounding myself out' seem like some pretty vague statements to me. in what way would this happen exactly?

As to your examples, an atheist going to an evangelical church or any one of us going to a My Little Pony convention (which is just another way of saying we should shun everyone on the autism spectrum) -- I think those are actually ideal world scenarios, where we may disagree and have different preferences but still be able to commune with and have empathy for one another.

you're drawing conclusions in the bolded part that i definitely didn't imply. i don't go to my little pony conventions because i think that shit is lame. i'm not really sure what you mean by the last part of the sentence. it doesn't seem to refute what i said, or even really address it.

anyway, i'm kind of tired of this since we don't seem to be getting anywhere. i would be uncomfortable at a frat party (i say "would" because i never plan on going to another) because i find it to be something i have no interest in and the people attending it as people i don't really have anything in common or particularly want to have in common with. at this point in my life that's more true than ever, and i'm glad of it.

edit: oh and i don't think being nice makes you a good person. plenty of nice people have been evil as shit.

Edited by wurm

Applying for universities and it feels weird. Most of my friends are stoners or skateboarders who aren't even applying for schools, and considering I've spent nearly my entire life chilling with them, it's gonna be weird going off to school while they don't. Also a bit nervous as there are only two local universities here in Vancouver, there is a decent chance I'm going to have to go away for schooling. Pretty big chapter of my life coming to an end though I shouldn't sweat it since I'm so young.

my original post was in regards to my interaction with people, didn't really have anything to do with my opinion on frats/people in frats.

Applying for universities and it feels weird. Most of my friends are stoners or skateboarders who aren't even applying for schools, and considering I've spent nearly my entire life chilling with them, it's gonna be weird going off to school while they don't. Also a bit nervous as there are only two local universities here in Vancouver, there is a decent chance I'm going to have to go away for schooling. Pretty big chapter of my life coming to an end though I shouldn't sweat it since I'm so young.

rise above that shit, it'll be better for you in the long run.

living in different places is good regardless of where you're from because it broadens your horizons. college is an especially good time to move somewhere totally different because it's still sheltered and you don't have any real responsibilities. going to school in, ionno, miami for example would be a learning experience

I wish I could find more friends that were yes people, down to go do things and collect experiences. I love my current friends, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to do anything. It's definitely hard to meet people out here that see the world as full of opportunities, they all just play life super safe all the time.

Just submitted my application for an MBA at a top school.

Fingers x'd that this shit works out for me.

Still feel like I didn't think this through enough and i'm coming from an entirely non-business or financial background, but fuck it.

Edited by broken_dubz

A girl who I liked in high school and who I thought I might like to date because she had a sense of humor, was always quite fashunz, and is majoring in design just mentioned that she loves the movie Shooter on Facebook and I realized how huge a turn off it is for me when people genuinely like movies that are just bad.

Rundown of Shooter: The protagonist's name in that movie is Bob Lee Swagger. That name made it through editing. The fuck. It stars Mark Wahlberg. It's a movie you watch to make fun of with your friends. The romantic interest and Wahlberg have zero chemistry. The whole thrust of the film is that the government and those who are involved are sometimes bad people. Holy shit. Mind blowing stuff.

If there is to be one last bastion of cultural elitism, let it be Sufu. These movies cannot become everyone's favorite movies.

If there is to be one last bastion of cultural elitism, let it be Sufu. These movies cannot become everyone's favorite movies.

my favorite movie of all time is terminator 2: judgement day

i'm not ashamed of that at all

who cares

fake it til you make it? like some pretentious tweeny bullshit?

Just went to watch the Joffrey ballet and left with a realization that i'm still immature as fuck.. when asked how i felt i couldn't say shit, although i did feel something just not articulate enough to verbalize them. Got secretly jealous at my friend who could go on and on about it like a real philosopher not those pretentious tweeny bullshit.

Really struggling to find my identity as a designer and it's freaking me out to to see all my friends establish their image brand + style whether it be through clothes or instagram. Fuck Im sooo jealous of those people. i guess fake it til you make it?