Show us your leather

aleopold

On another note, anybody know any tanning method or oil in order to keep the pattern of the leather quite contrasty and visible like that?

I think the pattern only gets as contrasting as the original growth of the grain allows (i.e. the texture of the grain before the tannery 'sets' the leather).

That said though, I think the pattern can be maximally brought out by using the leather gently for a long time, and periodically maintained with oils which don't stain the leather (e.g. pure horse oil is the closest thing to stain-less I've come across so far).

P.S. Or, get a wallet made out of hippo or sueded elephant skin, and then dub it - the contrasting texture will not only be visible, but also intensely tactile :) (and it doesn't have the classic elephant skin appearance either, more like uber-textured cattlehide)

I've been looking for Angelos too. Didn't know he was from Taiwan!

If you guys are doing group order please let me know, cos I want to get a belt and a wallet:)

^^ Good idea, I'm in for a wallet

Yep, I'm after a type 3 from him.

Need something small for work and formal occasions...

Angelos uses waxed linen threads from US and Japan, btw.

My first attempt at making a belt:

imgp3579c.jpg

Leather isn't exactly first quality as you can see from the blemishes, but it was fine for practice.

Also, I don't really like the buckle but it was the only 1.5" I could find (took it from a $1 thrift store belt!)

Looking good - great work for a first attempt :)

I think we could do a group thing if we wanted custom mods (kinda like our group order with Terry, with the custom Quercus leather)...

Otherwise I'm more than happy to organise a Melbourne group buy :)

Organising it for people from around the world might be difficult, especially considering the language barrier some people may have.

Anyone who has a working knowledge of Mandarin would have an easier time contacting Angelos' directly.

True a custom mod should be worth the group ordering. One person deal with Angelos about the modifications.

But the Wallet no.3 is just a perfect wallet for me, there is nothing more i would want to add.

wait, maybe different special leather options? and tendon thread

ha.

Yeah, I'm very happy with their type III build already - just asking Chris about their French 'cordovan' atm...

Actually, I think it's best to leave the thread as linen because if Angelos isn't familiar with using mammalian tendons, then their first few attempts will likely be less than perfect.

Not to mention you could re-wax linen or artificial sinew to increase longevity :)

Right now, as I understand it, they offer the type III in either French cordovan (brown or black) or veg. tanned cattlehide (natural or black).

Being in TW, I don't think they can visit the major tanneries in person to pick hides like Terry could at Baker's.

That said though, if we have enough people interested, wouldn't hurt to ask :)

Well, if anyone is interested or have any ideas, please feel free to PM me. I will try and get another expression of interest list in order :)

Don't want to clog up this thread too much (sorry folks!)

^ Thanks undcvrsm!

I've initiated conversation with Chris of Angelos already (I'm fluent in Mandarin) regarding overseas orders and how their French cordovan differs from that of Horween's.

I reckon if we get enough people, I can work out a order template with Angelos for people who may have trouble ordering.

I think the pattern only gets as contrasting as the original growth of the grain allows (i.e. the texture of the grain before the tannery 'sets' the leather).

That said though, I think the pattern can be maximally brought out by using the leather gently for a long time, and periodically maintained with oils which don't stain the leather (e.g. pure horse oil is the closest thing to stain-less I've come across so far).

P.S. Or, get a wallet made out of hippo or sueded elephant skin, and then dub it - the contrasting texture will not only be visible, but also intensely tactile :) (and it doesn't have the classic elephant skin appearance either, more like uber-textured cattlehide)

I really love the idea of getting a hippo or elephant wallet and dubbing them! That would be one of the most interesting things to see. How exactly would you dub a wallet that's any different from regular leather treatment?

If I knew of any hippo or elephant wallets I'd definitely try this out.

p.s. Keep that blog up it's a real gem.

Thanks technicolor :)

Nice to know someone reads my rants!

Here is a dubbed sueded elephant coin pouch at 6 months use...

pb150004.jpg

pb150016.jpg

I generally dub 'precious' hides with beeswax and a bit of natural oil only.

Apply a thin layer of oil, wait for it to dry, and rub down with wax.

With elephant, you might need to do another wax rub after a few days, and maybe another after a few weeks, to complete the job.

With dubbed sueded elephant though, it will have small cracks in the surface naturally with use (especially on items like wallets and coin pouches which we sit on), so you want to make sure the elephant skin is backed with a strong-ish but supple hide (just regular veg. tanned cattlehide will do).

Also, it is essential that the edges securely sealed - a sealant can do the trick, but much better if it is double-loop braided (like the pouch above).

leather shirt

DSC_1346.jpg

i just had it at my house for a little bit, wore it for fit pic. dont think i would wear it around. cool denim shirts in the jeans of the old west thread though. check em!

As I recall, trade in elephant hide is highly regulated and is governed by the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES). Typically hides come from animals that died of natural causes, but sometimes from animals that were culled for sustainability reasons; most often rogue bulls.

I picked up a pair of elephant boots a few years ago and did some research on the sourcing before I bought.:)