Show us your leather

aleopold

got a question, is it bad to not oil your leather goods?

Depends how long and how hard you use it, the type of leather, secondary treatment which have been applied (sealing, settling, etc).

You have to decide for yourself, though, what you want your leather to achieve - there is no absolute right or wrong way, just preferences.

Briefly, if we're talking about vegetable tanned cattlehide, then...

If you were to use belting leather (machine leather) you might only need to oil it after many, many months to years.

If you had a bridle/harness/latigo/etc leather which has been stuffed or curried heavily with oils, etc after tanning, then you may only need to oil the leather periodically (months between oil).

Pick-up a pure neatsfoot oil, the best for beginners, and play around with thin layers of the stuff on your leathers (they won't hurt your veg. tanned leathers, I promise!)

If your leather goods are made of an unfinished/saddle/skirting/etc, then I would oil it from the get go, and would do more frequent oiling and waxing in the first few weeks to months.

I perhaps do more maintenance than what most people think is necessary, or desirable...but my leathers have turned out OK (and more importantly, to my liking) - my advice with oiling is start low, go slow, and you'll be fine.

Cattlehide. Kinda wanted to get a closer look at their worksmanship before ordering a cordovan wallet and so far I'm very impressed. I'll probably order a cordovan one for my dad real soon. The stitching and finish on the edges are top notch, really happy with it!

panthermodern, don't hesitate to buy the cordovan wallet from Angelos for your dad. I keep forgetting to post the one I just purchased; it's beautiful. The finish is perfect and the French cordovan is every bit as nice as Horween, possibly even a little better finish.

panthermodern, don't hesitate to buy the cordovan wallet from Angelos for your dad. I keep forgetting to post the one I just purchased; it's beautiful. The finish is perfect and the French cordovan is every bit as nice as Horween, possibly even a little better finish.

Oh hey, forgot to ask you about it!

Could you post up some macro pics when you have time?

I had to opt out of ordering because I received my main wallet when I was conversing with Chris.

If you say it's the goods, then I might have to get my parents to proxy me one!

^ it's a beauty; I'll post some pics tonight. And, if you're in to a longer wallet, I'd recommend it. If I do it again, it will be the longer one. Also, Neil Hunt is vacationing for the holidays. I asked him about the type of linen/cotton/? he uses for stitching and he will eventually answer.

ok, here is Angelo's 1/2 cordovan leather wallet. It really is beautiful; cordovan, workmanship, total package. And the cordovan is so well finished and tight! I think the full size will be a remarkable wallet.

014-1.jpg?t=1293741198

011.jpg?t=1293741229

my best attempt (of many) of a macro

023.jpg?t=1293741255

010-1.jpg?t=1293741484

what it will replace

012-2.jpg?t=1293741369

ok, here is Angelo's 1/2 cordovan leather wallet. It really is beautiful; cordovan, workmanship, total package. And the cordovan is so well finished and tight! I think the full size will be a remarkable wallet.

014-1.jpg?t=1293741198

011.jpg?t=1293741229

my best attempt (of many) of a macro

023.jpg?t=1293741255

010-1.jpg?t=1293741484

Damn, I bet you could use that edge burnish as a mirror!

Everything is so neat~

Beautiful piece lance, must spread.

Keep us updated with evo.

I think I will get my folks to proxy one for me...

^ I agree, the workmanship is superb :)

I'm quite keen on the medium wallet no. 2 in a brown cordovan.

ap_F23_20081226020028235.jpg?TT46bHNBgPziZQ2F

I already have a humongous wallet as my main wallet, so I need something smaller for formal occasions and long trips.

..x-post from The Flight Jacket thread..

Wanted to share some snaps of my Visvim Elmendorf Horse Hide jacket that I have been wearing for 2 years now to the forum. I think it is just starting to show its first sign of what this jacket has to offer, only time will tell...

Visvim_elmendorf_HH_jacket_001.jpg

Visvim_elmendorf_HH_jacket_002.jpg

Visvim_elmendorf_HH_jacket_003.jpg

Visvim_elmendorf_HH_jacket_004.jpg