Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

I have noticed that all the belts and wallets here turn to an orange/red brown. Why doesn't anything turn to a chocolate brown and what characteristics must leather have to eventually turn chocolate brown?

I think some turn choc brown with more usage and time (5+ years). Theres a HR01 on RedMoons site which they say started out sdSD and is now a very dark choclate brown.

Sugar Cane belt after 3 months. Nothing too exciting but for people that want to know...

1511617645_b835524f49.jpg

1511617667_c54270fc5a.jpg

Applied Obernauf's Oil twice and tanned in summer sun for an entire day or two. Only wear it 2 or 3 times a week.

Pictures taken with flash. The color is a darker orange/brown than in the pictures, but on-screen color really depends on your monitor and what angle you're looking at an LCD. The white area is from scratches. Plan on putting some Obernauf's Oil on it to blend in the color but been too lazy.

Corter are you using a burnishing tool on the edges of these creations? Some of the edges look a little rough and could use it. All in all though wonderful stuff.

yea, i am those arent burnished yet, i took those pictures right after i finished them. the edges on the midlength are burnished, you can see it in the pics, i just got lazy. it's all done now though.

knucks- equipment so far has cost me maybe $80, i've spent more on hardware. Total with leather and stuff i don't know how much i've spent, it's a lot of $5 here and $10 there, but i'd say no more than $200 on tools, 2 shoulders of leather, dyes and supplies etc. i'm not posting everything i make, just some of my favorite stuff, but i've probably made 5 wallets i haven't posted here to give to friends, so 8 leather wallets and a bunch of misc. goodies for that amount of money is a pretty good deal i'd say. its all manhours, the materials don't cost so much.

so what tools are you using and where did you get them? and the leather?[/quote

basic leatherworking tools include an awl, thick needles, a hammer, a ruler and a t square, a #2 exacto, and a cutting board. I use saddle thread and 4-5oz leather, although i'd like to try thicker leather on the outside and thinner leather for pockets and such. Then I'm slowly collecting a bunch of buttons, rivets, zippers, dyes, burnishing gum, etc.

I get my supplies locally, but i'm sure theres places online to get stuff too.

40 oz. I just recently recieved a KC's wallet as a really late present. The attention paid to details like the quality of the leather and the stitching are astoundingly beautiful I stayed away form the RM wallets because they are hyped up on here a whole bunch, but offered me very little in \what I needed in a wallet (no room for CC's in most of their models). Go for the KC's you won't regret it one bit.

6 monlths, eh? gonna wash it now? :)

i've decided to get a skull wallet that is half the price of the flathead mid-length.

haven't ordered the skull yet, though...

deciding on the colorway... solid red, black, white, or white with black?

http://www.fabfour.co.jp/netshop/babe/showcase/BC015.html

intending to coordinate with the flathead leather chain i got at selfedge..

So, I'm wondering if it is worth it to shell out the extra 150 to get a similar style redmoon instead of a KC. I've heard from you all that redmoon is superior, but is it worth spending that much extra?

I have a KC's wallet myself and have owned an RM, I'd say if your looking for a wallet that will age well then definitely get an sdSD RM, the colour they get is so much richer than what KC's get. If your getting a tanned one, then consider the KC, their details are slightly better, but I've always been a fan of the trademark red moon buttons.

You can check the RM thread on mynudies for some comparisons, worth a look to help you decide.

thanks, dick. i'm sure i'll enjoy it, as it's thinner than the flathead, which means it'd be less of a bulge against my cheek. still trying to decide on a color, though.

the skull wallet is great, im really happy with mine aswell dick....i think the stitching design on the medallion wallet (which i have) really makes it stand out from a lot of the other japanese wallets.

normally, i would go for the understated option and get something very plain...i was considering a few red moon wallets, but i didnt like the internal zip, and basically wanted something that had at least 6 credit card slots without being prohibitively bulky.

definitely get the natural leather ken....no other option in my opinion.

really?

thats surprising.

is that a result of there being excess oil/polish etc on the surface, it not soaking into the leather, and then being rubbed off over time?

or a result of stress/pressure being applied to the leather?

my wallabees (brown leather) for example - the wear developing on them is much lighter. if i press my big toe upwards against the leather, i can see the imprint of it show up then gradually fade after i stop applying pressure. the shape of my foot is slowly but surely emerging.