Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Hardenco x frIedson brothers, made in PA . hand carved and cast brass buckle made in new york by Ryan Andes. Copper rivets are hand peened in Hartford. Vibram wedge.

Holy shit this is a dope thread, yo klue those raw veg tanners look great! I was just thinking I love veg tanned leather, it's like the raw denim of leather. I was thinkin you could make one of those veg tanned leather jackets for me, I'm coming up soon Thursday for repairs!

you was almost right mate. the service boot is 890 SFR. :)

size 9 and 10 are left...

did you happen to inquire about the price for the engineers as well?

:(

I'm looking at getting some nicer winter boots this year, I want something that's tolerably nice looking, US made, and welted. my top candidate is the Red Wing 4418:

Any other contenders out there? Serious cold weather boots, Bean boots don't count.

I have the black version of the Red Wing loggers and it's a seriously beefy boot. Highly recommended.

Maybe this will entertain some of you all.

I've had these suede J. Crew "Macallister" jodhpur (chelsea?) boots for a handful of years now. They weren't in Uganda with me, but were otherwise my go-to knock-around boots and have seen a lot of wear in inclement weather, in no small part because they're goddamn comfy (crepe for the win) and fit in toe clips. Needless to say they've gotten a bit beaten up - certainly not the type of life suede is generally intended for. "So," I figured, "why not go all the way and make 'em as rugged as a pair of suede boots could be?" So I decided to pretend they're roughout leather and dub the hell out of them.

To begin:

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

IMG_5455.JPG

After an interlude consisting of a good brush-down with a horsehair brush, a serious and violent scrubbing with a nylon brush and Dr. Bronner's dilute, two coats of Obenauf's boot oil and a finally hefty layer of Obenauf's LP (oh yeah and the unfortunate and unavoidable sprinkling of dog hair) they're delightfully slimy/oily/sticky and looking like so:

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

I look forward to seeing how they hold up!

dkatz - honestly i really liked the before look a lot better, but that`s just me ;)

Haha, so did I! But I was curious enough to give the project a try, and I'm sure (and curious to see) how their appearance will change with wear now.

I think natural chromexcel would be great for a contest...

How would one win a boot contest?

By wearing them every day and thereby massively shortening the life of the boot, just so that they look as 'authentic' as possible? Bit like not washing jeans that are being worn day in, day out, I suppose.

Boots are like jeans, their true beauty only comes out after years of wear and care. Putting a timescale on their evo kinda misses the point, both for leather and denim.

Just my two pence.