Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Got handed down this pair of boots:

01_24_1.jpg

01_24_2.jpg

01_24_3.jpg

They are supposedly like 20 year old Frye's, but haven't been cared for in years. I want to clean them up, and clearly they need to be oiled, but do they have to be cleaned before they get oiled? It seems like obenauf's is the brand of choice here, so I plan on buying some oil from them, and perhaps some cleaner, but I'd rather not have to buy the cleaner if its not necessary. Do most of you guys wipe your boots down before you oil them or use leather cleaner, or perhaps nothing? Thanks everyone, and btw, great boots!

Just my suggestions:

Key to the clean up is to get absolutely as much dust and dirt off BEFORE any oil or treatment conditioner goes on. It’s the dust/dirt carried into the stitching by the oil and treatments that can do the most damage to the stitch threads. Thus, brush ‘em with a stiff brush first. Then, moist to wet cloth to get more dust/dirt off. Then, when dry, brush again. When you’ve gotten ‘em as clean as possible, then do the conditioner or oil treatments. Don’t use the cleaners that are meant to strip off polish. It’s harsh and not needed here. Any of the oils and most of the conditioners might darken the boots a bit, but it will be really appreciated by the dry leather.

Later, after fully dried, you can do a polish layer, if you wish. Have fun.

Those McQueen boots are the shit. I've been turning their $600 price tag around in my mind, but I can't square it. So, no sale.

I really like those hand-me-down Frye boots. Now that's a project.

Those boots are very expensive. You can get C&J or even some cheaper E.G.'s for that price, which if I had 600 to spend I would do just that.

this is a little off topic, but has anyone heard of the Adidas GSG9 Tactical Boot?

i was doing a little research on the boot most recommended by bodyguards and this is the one most experts use. this is the older version that was still made in germany.

http://www.botac.com/adgstacboot.html

these were made to the specifications of the GSG9 German Anti-Terrorist Group. subsequently, it has been used by several major tactical units. it was designed to be comfortable, sturdy, strong, waterproof and silent. as a result, it is considered THE best shoe for close-quarter protection professionals and tactical assault teams.

it looks pretty dope too.

i have read that the tread wears pretty quickly, but i'm sure my shoe guy on wall street can resole these for me when they wear down.

any of the ex-military guys on here heard of these?

this is a little off topic, but has anyone heard of the Adidas GSG9 Tactical Boot?

i was doing a little research on the boot most recommended by bodyguards and this is the one most experts use. this is the older version that was still made in germany.

these were made to the specifications of the GSG9 German Anti-Terrorist Group. subsequently, it has been used by several major tactical units. it was designed to be comfortable, sturdy, strong, waterproof and silent. as a result, it is considered THE best shoe for close-quarter protection professionals and tactical assault teams.

i have read that the tread wears pretty quickly, but i'm sure my shoe guy on wall street can resole these for me when they wear down.

You think that you can resole these? I mean for one from what I see they are not welted that will make it that much tougher, not sure myself if it will even be possible.

i wanted a pair of these 2-3 years ago. could never find them for a decent price/in my size though. they looked great..

skalogre - i am going to buy a pair and take them to my shoe guy. i've heard on the military forums that it is possible to resole these. if anyone would know, it would be my shoe guy on wall street.

coldrice - sent you a pm ;)

btw, here's some more info about the GSG-9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSG_9

here's an excerpt:

Training

Members of the Bundespolizei and other German police services with 2 years of service can join the GSG 9. The 22-week training period includes 13 weeks of basic training and 9 weeks of advanced training. Besides medical tests there are many physical and psychological requirements, for example running 5000 meters within 23 minutes and jumping a distance of at least 2.4 meters (from a standstill). The identity of GSG 9 members is classified as top secret. Further training often involves co-operation with other allied counter-terrorism units.

Only one in five pass the training course.

OT

the 5K running part isn't very hard for someone who is in good physical condition (I ran well below that in HS), but then again, these guys are probably bulky dudes who know how to put someone down six ways from Sunday.

And that Jumping requirement sounds nuts.

OT

the 5K running part isn't very hard for someone who is in good physical condition (I ran well below that in HS), but then again, these guys are probably bulky dudes who know how to put someone down six ways from Sunday.

And that Jumping requirement sounds nuts.

Plus as you get older it is progressively harder to stay that fit. Takes more and more effort to achieve the same results.

5K in under 23 minutes is not superhuman, but add clothes, boots, weapons and equipment, and it's not as easy.

skalogre, you hit it right on the nail. i've been hitting the mats after a few months off, and it's been rough! for the first time, i'm starting to feel my age. i think the key is to always keep a decent level of fitness, that way, you never have to kill yourself to get back into shape.

5K in under 23 minutes is not superhuman, but add clothes, boots, weapons and equipment, and it's not as easy.

skalogre, you hit it right on the nail. i've been hitting the mats after a few months off, and it's been rough! for the first time, i'm starting to feel my age. i think the key is to always keep a decent level of fitness, that way, you never have to kill yourself to get back into shape.

Yeah...as you can imagine, I was not very happy when my doctor told me that the chest pressure/breathing problems I have been experiencing intermittedly may just be that my body is finding it harder and harder to work with the strain I place on it. Hell, I am only 29 for heaven's sake!

OTOH Kendo requires a lot of explosive power from the whole body plus the headgear reduces your oxygen intake quite a bit as well as reduce your ability to cool down. Add that to Tucson heat and you have a disaster :(

For years I did not exercise much if at all, then threw myself in to running in a bid to get my mile under 8 minutes... hit that milestone then lost interest (never liked running even though I was able to do a good pace while I was in the army, especially by the end of bootcamp). Anyway, several months later I started kendo which is when I realised that my fitness had deteriorated.

Now four years later if I am out even one week, I feel like I am training with 20-30 extra pounds on me everytime.

Have you found that you need longer periods in between training sessions for your body to recover now, miza?

yeah, i'm about the same age as you and i'm experiencing the same problems, even though i've been in excellent physical shape most of my life. when i was training for a grappling competition, i was getting chest pains when i would run more than 2 miles at a fast pace and i actually had a stress test done on my heart. the cardiologist told me the same thing your doctor told you, which is, it's natural, don't worry about it.

recovery from heavy training sessions has taken longer and the pain lasts well into the second day. incidentally, i find the same results from heavy drinking.

yeah, i'm about the same age as you and i'm experiencing the same problems, even though i've been in excellent physical shape most of my life. when i was training for a grappling competition, i was getting chest pains when i would run more than 2 miles at a fast pace and i actually had a stress test done on my heart. the cardiologist told me the same thing your doctor told you, which is, it's natural, don't worry about it.

recovery from heavy training sessions has taken longer and the pain lasts well into the second day. incidentally, i find the same results from heavy drinking.

Heavy drinking? :D

I occassionally get that after eating searing hot Indian food but I am too addicted to stop doing that; we're becoming old codgers, miza, oh noes11!!!!!!one!!1!!!

I was referred to a cardiologist for a ecg, as well as having x-rays taken. Found nothing serious, which sort of stinks because at least if there was something that would mean I would know what to do to either avoid getting those symptoms or what to do to recover.

To go back to the McQueen boot for a sec, on the Buzz Rickson page those boots- and they look like the same damn boot, exactly- go for $312, but they're $600 at that toy collectible company. That must be the answer- guy's selling them as a collectible, with a collectible's price tag. It doesn't matter, since the largest size BR has is a 10, they're no use to me.

The very same. BR calls them "service boot", as you saw. The boots the man himself is wearing in that very cool pic, look very similar but I can't see enough detail.

Thursday morning trivia: You know the show Prison Break? The lead actor Wentworth Miller (what a friggin' name) is a McQueen man. If you've seen the show, Miller's character Michael was sporting a khaki suit after they escaped from the joint. That suit was similar to one worn by McQueen in Sam Peckinpah's "The Getaway". He also chose to wear the boots McQueen wore in "The Great Escape". The suit is gone now, but Miller refuses to give up the boots.

On my list of great things that never happened is a film featuring John Cassavetes, Lee Marvin, and Steve McQueen. "The Dirty Dozen" gave me two out of three, damn...

yeah steve mcqueen was, is and will always be awesome.

he's as real as it gets. a real racer (cars and bikes) and real fighter (trained under bruce lee), a real bad-ass. not to take anything away from robert deniro who is a great actor, but... steve mcqueen, in a way had a completely different mentality than deniro who said this:

"I've never been one of those actors who has touted myself as a fascinating human being. I had to decide early on whether I was to be an actor or a personality." -Robert De Niro

and

"One of the things about acting is it allows you to live other people's lives without having to pay the price." -Robert De Niro

steve mcqueen was always willing to pay the price. he was was a "fascinating human" who happened to be an actor. here are some great mcqueen quotes:

"I don't believe in that phony hero stuff." -Steve McQueen

and

"I live for myself and I answer to nobody." -Steve McQueen

and

"I don't know why it (stardom) happened--but it's kinda nice. Maybe it's because I'm someone off the streets. Maybe people relate to me." -Steve McQueen

and

"If I hadn't made it as an actor, I might have wound up a hood." -Steve McQueen

that's pretty fuckin' real.

here's a page of his quotes:

http://members.tripod.com/~stvmcqueen/McQuotes.html

probably sold out of the other sizes, EoD.

the article says that mcqueen refused to receive belts for his martial arts training, but under chuck norris's estimation, he was a third degree black belt. that's pretty awesome.

btw, before you knock chuck norris, he is actually an awesome fighter and also a blackbelt in brazilian jiu-jitsu under the machados. a machado blackbelt is no joke. anyways, i digress.

:confused:

Here's the original question:

DDML what type of outfits do you plan on wearing your Alden shoes with. You think you can get away with jeans tshirt?

And I wish these came in boots in either black or burgundy :

ds59gu2.jpg

way late to this thread and digging this up, but these are amazing. what are they?

i love my red wings!!!

24nlbn4.jpg

where did you find the tan suede pair? i've been looking for a pair forever. jp only right?

saw a dude in the apple store today wearing these, but he just kind of looked at me weird when i asked where he picked them up.

Here is the ToysMcCoys version

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/porkys/971500/1133653/

66,150円

I don't know how they can charge so much more than the Ricksons. I prefer the Rickson's burnt wash, but TMC have a nice box.