Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Bugga me. I was nearly complete with a long response and hit some key that jumped me out of there and lost it. Grrrr. I hate it when that happens.

Where was I? These wear well with about anything you want. I’ve already worn mine with denim, mountain khakis and a pair of RMWilliams moleskin jeans. They look good, depending mostly on the color match. The burgundy/brown do well with denim, but I already know the suede will look even better with denim. They’re comfortable, although it is odd to feel like the front end is a tank and feel the air on your heels (socks or not).

On the leather, I couldn’t get the details I wanted beyond understanding it was the best available. I asked about horse butt leather, but they were mostly amused by this. I did get that their best was “young cowâ€, I guessed meaning calf. But, who knows? I have gotten some good feedback from various people that they are about as good as it gets. It’s good leather, but it wouldn’t impress the Edward Green crowd. It is thicker than the usual fare used.

Photos will take a while. I’ve been deliberately waiting, seemingly forever, to go digital. I have lots of films cameras. Now, if I’d stop buying pricey denim and shoes, I might save enough to buy the Leica M8 to go with my lenses. In the meantime, this will be a nice “end of the film rolls†sorta project. I’ll post ‘em when I make ‘em. Hope this was entertaining. :cool:

GREAT STORY Leica hold off on the M8. I have a good friend that bought two and has already had some problems. I've heard they're working out a few bugs like with any new technology.

Ah, shucks. Well, Miz, I dedicate the post to you. Your blog on horse butt shoes brought me here. I've enjoyed it. And have other nice shoes enroute. Ha.

For AirFrog, Thanks. Yes, I've been watching the boards on that one. I have no need to be bleeding edge on this one. It looks really, really good, but I'm just not in a hurry. The restrictions on us here mean I'm actually taking fewer photos that I have in years. sigh.

My thanks to everyone here. This is simply good fun!

Ah, shucks. Well, Miz, I dedicate the post to you. Your blog on horse butt shoes brought me here. I've enjoyed it. And have other nice shoes enroute. Ha.

For AirFrog, Thanks. Yes, I've been watching the boards on that one. I have no need to be bleeding edge on this one. It looks really, really good, but I'm just not in a hurry. The restrictions on us here mean I'm actually taking fewer photos that I have in years. sigh.

My thanks to everyone here. This is simply good fun!

The M series is probably the finest 35mm cameras ever made. Very quite and they have great optics. Theres a reason some of that glass cost so much. You see it in the final image. Keep on shoot'n as much as you can bro. Oh great shoes by the way.

So I have been trying to keep up with the thread over the months, but that is pretty tough with how much I can get on lately....

What is the consensus (say for like my Red Wings)? Take care and let nature run its inevitable course, or beat the hell out of the boots with no maintenance. I have been brown polishing and mink oiling.

I know some here do not like Mink oil, but I gather it can not be too bad, maybe just not the best. How often should I do both, can you over do either?

So I have been trying to keep up with the thread over the months, but that is pretty tough with how much I can get on lately....

What is the consensus (say for like my Red Wings)? Take care and let nature run its inevitable course, or beat the hell out of the boots with no maintenance. I have been brown polishing and mink oiling.

I know some here do not like Mink oil, but I gather it can not be too bad, maybe just not the best. How often should I do both, can you over do either?

I say beat the fuck out of them, but take care of them at the same time.

nice beaters! :cool:

what's the story behind them? say, like how old are they?

1950's Red Wing, got the in NYC in the late 80's, been wearing them on and off ever since, paid $10 for them.....

they have out lived every other pair of boots and countless pairs of Sneaker....

Neil

I say beat the fuck out of them, but take care of them at the same time.

Definiotely. Treat them well and they'll last a long time, like any good shoe should. Don't forget that leather is an organic substance, it is not a synthetic. Occassional conditioning together with a healthy schedule of rotation with other shoes and waxing will let them live a long time.

^^ What he said.

And if you're extra geeky, shoe tree it when not in use.

That's a given!

Extra geek points for using a shoehorn.

Speaking of which, I have still to find a long shoehorn to use with my boots. Those plastic IKEA ones are an option but I have been scouring eBay for some antique one I can find for cheap :)

skalogre, you looking for shoehorns or shoetrees?

high quality versions of either can be found at your local shoe repair shop. i get my cedar shoe trees from the shoe repair shop and whittle the cedar down by hand to make them fit the last perfectly. try that for geeky.

+1000 geek points for that, miza ;) !

I am still lookinmg for a shoehorn. I have been lucky enough to find at some discount retailers Nordstrom's cedar shoe trees for VERY cheap so I have a good amount. I may still get some RMW ones but I would ideally like some that are properly lasted, which those don't seem to be :(

I just have a nasty old steel one and the plastic Loake shoehorn Pediwear sent me but I want a nicer durable long one that I can use with my taller boots in particular as well as my other shoes.

That's a given!

Extra geek points for using a shoehorn.

Speaking of which, I have still to find a long shoehorn to use with my boots. Those plastic IKEA ones are an option but I have been scouring eBay for some antique one I can find for cheap :)

:mad: I have a shoehorn! I just used it this morning! I should've been the one to post that!