Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

...then he said, "next time, i'll make you a pair of shell cordovans. i'll show you my skills." swear to god he said this. he added, "i get my leather from chicago, that's the only place in the world where they make it. the butt of the horse."

Miz,

The anthropologist in me goes nuts with this. What a fantastic window of opportunity. Let him know he has lots of time, you’re in no rush. Put a deposit down to cover his initial materials costs. But the true key is that you have a huge entry into his life through the process. It’s clear he already likes you, but now you have a framework through which you can spend more time in the friendly visits. Discover what he likes to drink, then bring some to share. (If alcohol, make it the end of the day!) Keep notes! Not only is this blog-worthy, but you’ll find yourself with the grist for multiple novels. Moreover, the end result will be an experience worth ten-times what you spend, not to mention a pair of truly one-of-a-kind bespoke shoes. For me, the shoes would be the least important outcome of the entire process, but I still bet they will have touches you’ll not see on another pair of shoes.., possibly in your life. And, best of all, you’ll have stories to tell for years to come.

CrownZip, What great boots (both of them). Where are you finding such boots in such excellent condition? They look great. Are they comfortable to wear?

Is this a great thread, or what?

Hey Allen,

Yeah, both pairs are originals, the ankle highs being WWII and the combat boots are Korean War era.

LeicaLad,

Old boots pop on ebay now and then, but I've had alot of luck finding them at flea markets and vintage clothing shops.

Grant

Grant both pairs look great. I really like the sevice shoes. I've actually been looking for some I just haven't been able to find any in my size.

Moykky, are you happy with your Malton boots? How have they broken in?

Miz,

The anthropologist in me goes nuts with this. What a fantastic window of opportunity. Let him know he has lots of time, you’re in no rush. Put a deposit down to cover his initial materials costs. But the true key is that you have a huge entry into his life through the process. It’s clear he already likes you, but now you have a framework through which you can spend more time in the friendly visits. Discover what he likes to drink, then bring some to share. (If alcohol, make it the end of the day!) Keep notes! Not only is this blog-worthy, but you’ll find yourself with the grist for multiple novels. Moreover, the end result will be an experience worth ten-times what you spend, not to mention a pair of truly one-of-a-kind bespoke shoes. For me, the shoes would be the least important outcome of the entire process, but I still bet they will have touches you’ll not see on another pair of shoes.., possibly in your life. And, best of all, you’ll have stories to tell for years to come.

ah, great advice, especially about not rushing. i will probably visit him again today to show him my new black boots. like you said, even more than the shoes (which i am anxiously anticipating), i am looking forward to the experience.

i became friends with him when i printed out a story about him and his store that i saw on cnn.com. he hadn't seen it before, so he was glad to receive it.

I have a serious and personal question: Between the Tricker’s Malton (with the commando sole) and the Alden Fan version of the Indy boot, which would be a better boot to cover some serious miles across tough terrain?

The Alden looks the part of serious hiking boot, but I’m wondering if the Tricker’s would be its equal strictly from the standpoint as a hiking boot? Obviously, the Tricker’s would be better looking at the end of the day, but I’d need it to be the equal as an actual boot before I go strictly for the style issue. They’re each about $350.

[For Steve: Either would look great with my Canes.]

I’ll order by mail, so opinions would really be appreciated.

the new alden site is so much better.

not sure if this is the right place or even if there will be any interest in it but I found a cordovan jacket on ebay, from the decription it looks pretty real.

anyhow

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AERO-LEATHER-HIGHWAYMAN-CORDOVAN-HORSEHIDE-JACKET-46_W0QQitemZ280056533748QQihZ018QQcategoryZ52755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hey guys, i just came back from visiting my local shoe repair man on wall street. if you remember, he's the very, very old greek dude named minas.

anyways, i told him i got another pair of cordovans, to which he replied (in his trademark thick greek accent), "good! you deserve it!" then he said, "next time, i'll make you a pair of shell cordovans. i'll show you my skills." swear to god he said this. he added, "i get my leather from chicago, that's the only place in the world where they make it. the butt of the horse."

so, looks like i might be able to get a custom pair made! seems like he doesn't do this often, so i feel pretty spiffy. when i asked him when this could go down, he said "someday. let me prepare."

Sounds like an awesome offer-- your man definitely knows his stuff. Alden gets their shell cordovan from the same supplier, Horween Leather Co, which they calim is the single tannery still producing genuine shell cordovan today. I guess it's tough to acquire a lot of horse flank to make it. Anyways, jump on that opportunity... and document the whole process!!

Guest engteach

What's a good polish to use on Indys? I'd really like to bring out the reddish color like the color in the photos above. I know they switched leather a few years ago; does that mean I can't get that red hue?

Alden's black/cigar saddle shoe is really sharp. Why is it that Leather Soul Hawaii seems to be the only shop fronting that Alden V-tip w/commando sole? When I bought my chukkas, the NY salesman was unaware such a shoe was available. I'd like to get that for spring, maybe. Or Fiorentini + Baker brogues.

DDML, can you drop a link to the Rickson "Great Escape" shoe?

Crownzip, I can't tell you how very envious I am of your WWII service boot. Fucking aces.