Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

This sounds sarcastic, but it's a sincere question to the collective wisdom here. Why don't folks talk about Timberlands? They seem to be really popular with folks in general (non SuFu-ers). I know why I'm not crazy about them, but what do others think? After all, we talk about so many other brands and styles of boots...

This sounds sarcastic, but it's a sincere question to the collective wisdom here. Why don't folks talk about Timberlands? They seem to be really popular with folks in general (non SuFu-ers). I know why I'm not crazy about them, but what do others think? After all, we talk about so many other brands and styles of boots...

There are a lot of great work boots out there, but I'd say 99% of the people here have never worked in a place where a work boot of any kind was mandatory.

Most of the boots shown here are not made for the type of work that a boot like timberlands were made for. A boot like a timberland is really made to last about 6 month to a year until it's thrown out and a new pair is bought. I doubt anyone here would want their $300 -$1000 boot to last 6 months and then get a new one...

the only timberland i like, and i have owned, is the classic handsewn. It's a boat shoe with thick lug sole and the fat ankle roll. I had a pair for almost 15 years before I sold it last year.

I really dislike their boot designs though.

Amlai, Calden, LeatherSOUL, familyman, jskidder,

Good points, I had to ask the S.A.'s repeatedly because I also was sure it couldn't be shell cordovan. I assumed I was just naive- I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about shell cordovan as most on this thread. They explained that while many shoes are just horse hide, these shoes are actually the shell cordovan from several (as someone here suggested).

Then again, they did have a retail price of 1750. that's why I felt compelled to say that I think Augustas are beautiful shoes (in fact everyone I know who is into handmade boots from the carpe family thinks augustas are the best), but only on a big sale, as thats just an outrageous amount to pay for a pair of boots. I was lucky enough to get them for about the price of a new pair of alden's- otherwise I would have felt compelled to hide my head in shame for making such an outrageous purchase.

I think they will age very will given the quality of the cordovan and the sturdiness of the boot, and as soon as I get pictures I will post- both before and after some time has passed.

the only timberland i like, and i have owned, is the classic handsewn. It's a boat shoe with thick lug sole and the fat ankle roll. I had a pair for almost 15 years before I sold it last year.

I really dislike their boot designs though.

I love this style, and have been looking for them in burgundy, but no luck..

Fuck Bill!

May I ask where you got them? Also how do you feel about holes all the way up as opposed to speedhooks?

I planned to get them while I was in the US but it didn't work out, and now it seems that I'll be out fo funds for a while, hmpf!

Also getting them here in NL is out of the question as last time I checed they were 799 euros.(you don't want to take that through a converter and see how much they slapped on...)

Fuck Bill!

May I ask where you got them? Also how do you feel about holes all the way up as opposed to speedhooks?

I'm not Bill, but I have a pair of 4060s as well. I personally really dislike the holes all the way up. For me, I just find it a real pain to get in and out of the boot and I end up not wearing the boot nearly as much as I would otherwise. My Indy boots, I can just plop my foot into the boot, speed lace them and run out the door. So, they have ended up being one of the Alden boots I wear least frequently. I wonder if I sent them back to Alden if they could replace the top eyelets with hooks.

Yes, after wearing my Cigar 9D, I've realized that the 9E was too big and was starting to annoy me. I also have some whiskey Geroge Boots up too...but they got all scratched up by someone when I left them by the front door, hence the sale.

It seems like maybe Tom has put his tan suede Indy boots (size 9E) up on eBay. I hope someone from here snags them! Too bad they're not my size!!! :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALDEN-SHOES-Indy-Boot-Limited-Edition-TAN-SUEDE_W0QQitemZ190192612264QQihZ009QQcategoryZ63850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a pair of timberlands and they arent as nice as the boots in this thread but they are extremely comfortable to wear.

picture006.jpg

picture004.jpg

picture003.jpg

I have a pair of timberlands and they arent as nice as the boots in this thread but they are extremely comfortable to wear.

They look pretty good to me. Never knew Timberland had something like that. It's a strange commbination of leather pieces, and it doesn't look like a Goodyear welt, so they might not be easily re-solable, which I think is the case with most Timberlands... Anyway, my step-son used to wear "Tims" all the time, 'cause his buddies in high school did. You know, the wheat-colored ones that match those Carhartt jackets. Then he joined the Marines, where he was issued Danner suede desert boots, the heavy-duty cold weather style (to Happy Hooligan - these are the new chunky ones, not the old-skool jungle-boot ones). And he said they are a world of difference apart, and he'd never put on those Timberlands again.

I'm not Bill, but I have a pair of 4060s as well. I personally really dislike the holes all the way up. For me, I just find it a real pain to get in and out of the boot and I end up not wearing the boot nearly as much as I would otherwise. My Indy boots, I can just plop my foot into the boot, speed lace them and run out the door. So, they have ended up being one of the Alden boots I wear least frequently. I wonder if I sent them back to Alden if they could replace the top eyelets with hooks.

Interesting comments Amlai. I actually feel the opposite way about speed hooks. I prefer regular eyelets. With speed-hooks, I accidentally mis-lace them, catching the lace in the hook above where I want, or cross it up on the other side. They can cause the laces to shred. But my father had them in the Merchant Marines in WWII. He could lace them up really fast with one hand. Very impressive!

But anyway, I actually took my newer, non-Cat's Paw Indies to Alex's (the Cat's Paw pair fits like a dream) and had them replace the speed hooks with regular holes. This pair of Indies was digging into my instep, because there were lumps of metal sticking out on the underside of the speed hooks. The metal bulges were covered by a layer of leather, yes. But they dug into my foot nevertheless, and actually bruised my "princess-and-the-pea" feet. So here are the Indies with regular holes:

indy.eyelets.gif

indy.eyelets.close.gif

I'm also in the all eyelet camp. My indies have speed hooks but I prefer boots without them. My Russells and my cigar wingtips are both all eyelet and they don't slow me down enough for me to care. I really dislike snagging speedhooks on pants. I'll be ordering my Whites from Bill with all eyes.

They look pretty good to me. Never knew Timberland had something like that. It's a strange commbination of leather pieces, and it doesn't look like a Goodyear welt, so they might not be easily re-solable, which I think is the case with most Timberlands... Anyway, my step-son used to wear "Tims" all the time, 'cause his buddies in high school did. You know, the wheat-colored ones that match those Carhartt jackets. Then he joined the Marines, where he was issued Danner suede desert boots, the heavy-duty cold weather style (to Happy Hooligan - these are the new chunky ones, not the old-skool jungle-boot ones). And he said they are a world of difference apart, and he'd never put on those Timberlands again.

I used to wear Tims on a regular, and they are great waterproof boots for under $100. But the lack of a leather welt and big bulbous toe is the reason why I changed to boots with a goodyear welt (although they do make welted ones too). Once they're done, they're done. I must admit though, snow, and rain, these boots were pretty dependable and kept me very dry through old New York winters. They used to be made in the USA, but I'm not sure about now. They've really moved away from classic styling and become more "techy" which I think is awful.

Fuck Bill!

I planned to get them while I was in the US but it didn't work out, and now it seems that I'll be out fo funds for a while, hmpf!

Also getting them here in NL is out of the question as last time I checed they were 799 euros.(you don't want to take that through a converter and see how much they slapped on...)

Cotton:

I actually got them from a fellow SuFu member, who decided they weren't right for him. They were a custom make up for Team in NYC however, from more than a few months back.

I like them with all eyelets actually. They are my only high boots that are eyelet all the way up, and I enjoy the real vintage look of it. I will say though, that I'm put em once, take em'off once a day kinda guy. All my shoes go on first thing in the morning and stay on until I'm goin on bed.

denim:

that's funny ... you're having the exact problems I had with my Indy's... right tongue moves, right shoe lace breaks... I just tied the ends together. I then found out you can email Alden and they'll send you a pair for free...

denim:

that's funny ... you're having the exact problems I had with my Indy's... right tongue moves, right shoe lace breaks... I just tied the ends together. I then found out you can email Alden and they'll send you a pair for free...

I went down and Tom is going to order a pair for me. I might just email Alden so I can have a back up pair incase they break again.

Here're some better pictures of my 4060's. They got alittle scuffed up the last few days, so I did a quick polish on the toe caps only:

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

And an update on my Indies. I had Cat's Paws put on these a few months ago, just never got around to taking any pictures:

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_08071.jpg

I was wearing my cigar shell Indy boots today and while I was at a store that I get my made to measure shirts from, this woman came over and asked where I got my shoes from. After having a bit of a difficult time explaining that I got them an Alden retailer in Hawaii and that they were a special order item. I eventually just told her that they were made by Alden. (I think she wanted a pair for her significant other.) After she was satisfied with my answer, she says "they're cute."

I think there are a lot of adjectives one could use to describe cigar shell Indy boots or Indy boots in general for that matter, but "cute" just doesn't come to mind. Some women have the oddest terminology. :)

Regardless of the adjective, I guess it means that the Indy boot has mass appeal beyond us on these forums....

I've yet to have someone call them cute, but the first day I had my Indy's, I was in a shoe repair store picking up some polish for an old pair of dress shoes, I have and one of the other customers in the store looked at my shoes and knowingly said, "Skechers, right?"

Before I could say anything the shoe repair guy corrected him.

I've never seen a model of Skechers remotely like these, but whatever.