Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Bill, where did you have the cat's paw job done? I want to have it done to my pair but I'd rather do it on the west coast because that's more accessible to me than going to NYC.

Eddies Shoe Repair!

13716 Ventura Blvd

Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

818-789-1972 - Ask for Greg

Fadeaway: Do you really wear all your shoes laced up straight across like that?? I see it working on the brogues, but on the boots too? Unless you're going for a scooter mod look....

Eddies Shoe Repair!

13716 Ventura Blvd

Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

Fadeaway: Do you really wear all your shoes laced up straight across like that?? I see it working on the brogues, but on the boots too? Unless you're going for a scooter mod look....

Since I found that Ians shoelace link I have been experimenting with different ways to

lace. And whats wrong with the scooter mod look anyway lol

Since I found that Ians shoelace link I have been experimenting with different ways to

lace. And whats wrong with the scooter mod look anyway lol

No hate, all love! Also asked because I've gone through and laced up all my boots for pictures before....Nothing makes you feel as SuperGay as lacing up six pair of boots you're not wearing at the time, for a photograph

Oh, and I just had a great meeting with Greg from Eddie's Shoe Repair. He just came by with some new goodies to show me. You guys are going to be impressed! I'll post some pic's soon.

I've yet to have someone call them cute, but the first day I had my Indy's, I was in a shoe repair store picking up some polish for an old pair of dress shoes, I have and one of the other customers in the store looked at my shoes and knowingly said, "Skechers, right?"

Before I could say anything the shoe repair guy corrected him.

I've never seen a model of Skechers remotely like these, but whatever.

The first time I wear my Cigar Chukka, the sales asked if they're APC.

Regardless of the adjective, I guess it means that the Indy boot has mass appeal beyond us on these forums....

second that ...

this may be a silly question, but could someone tell me how comfortable the indy boot is? are they cushioned at all? im used to wearing sneakers mainly so i want something that wont be a complete shock.

Compared to sneakers, they feel flat and hard. But this is the case with any non-soft-sole shoe. Therefore, fit is more important. They have to fit pretty well to feel comfortable. Some people use insoles with them.

Not every pair fits me, even in my size. The pair below are both 8.5 EEE. The pair on the right (has Cat's Paws now) fits very well. The pair on the left (has eyelets all the way up, no more speed hooks) bruises my ankle because the laces bind in a strange way. Less so with no more speed hooks. I'm gonna sell these, cheap. I find Alden's work to be uneven from pair to pair.

indy.new.old.front.gif

But, one thing about the Indies. More than almost any other boot, even more than the White's, they give you a vintage dressy casual look (like a blue collar guy going out on the town). Red Wing 1911's are more strictly worker footwear. And other boots go the other direction, corporate/white-collar-toff-dressy, such as Edward Green, Lobb, and Crockett and Jones. High-class English "City of London" boots (which I also like). And with the Indies, when you add the Indiana Jones/high-adventure angle, there's really nothing else like them. I haven't found any other boot that has this same appeal. I think Indies would look really really good with all leather soles. And I like the leather-sole cigar cordovan version a lot. I'm gonna try for another pair of better fitting Indies and get high quality leather all around, even on the heel.

Eddies Shoe Repair!

13716 Ventura Blvd

Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

They did mine too below, and Greg is old-skool. They've been in business for 60 years and know the old ways. Bill, I hope it's something old-skool you've got in mind!!

ind.heel1.gif

this may be a silly question, but could someone tell me how comfortable the indy boot is? are they cushioned at all? im used to wearing sneakers mainly so i want something that wont be a complete shock.

thanks

i've installed spenco insoles in my indys with honey vibrams, and i swear they now almost feel as comfortable as sneakers. okay, a little less cushions from the walls of the shoes, but because they are more snug than sneakers, i think they're even better.

no that i'm planning to go jogging in them or anything, but. i feel like i could if i wanted.

thanks for replies guys, that helps. obviously not being in a position to try them on makes the selection bit more of a gamble, but thats internet shopping for you!

my other option being in the uk, is to go for an english shoe company, grenson etc, but i am undecided as i like the indy styling.

regards

Percy, if you are anywhere near northampton, I can recommend you go and visit the Crockett & Jones factory shop and also Trickers. My favorite boots at the moment are my Trickers Wetherby, which are a good old fashioned English country boot and match pretty well with denim.

edit: this is how they look

1712342527_f90de8f4c1.jpg

I've never liked them much. I love the quality/price ratio on Aldens and I've a pair of their plaza last plain toes coming from Leather Soul (eventually), but the stitching on the front like that looks busy to me.

In general, I'd agree with you (which is amusing since I have so many of the Indy variants). I typically prefer a captoe or a plain toe boot myself. However, in the shell Indy boot variation, the stitching matches the leather so I find it to be fairly subtle. On my regular 405s, I polish them so that the stitching is as close to the same tone as the leather to not make the stitching as obvious. I think the reason why I like them so much is that when I find an Indy boot that fits, they fit my feet really well. My #8 Indy boot is probably the most comfortable shoe I own (I did have to throw a cheap $3 Dr. Scholl's insole in them to make them fit right, but that just adds to the comfort).

The mailman brought me a pair of ebayed Whites Smokejumpers today. Quite a boot. After an hour of wearing my arch and the boot are still not convinced that they're best friends. I think they'll learn to get along.

I'll post some pics if the baby naps sometime before I have to pick up from kindergarten. That's not likely to happen though,

I find Alden's work to be uneven from pair to pair.

I've noticed significant sizing differences from pair to pair, and not just in Indy's. I tried on a pair of 4060s in 9D and they were so tight that I thought I was going to lose circulation in my toes. Then, from the next shipment, I tried on another pair, also in 9D and they were actually very comfortable, if not maybe slightly loose.

In my 405s, my 8.5D laces up great, with a good amount of space between the facings. (This is unusual because I have low instep volume and skinny ankles.) In contrast, I have no space at all in the cigar shell Indy boots, also 8.5D. This is less problematic with the shell boots since the tongue is fairly stiff and doesn't slide around even if the boots aren't laced tight all the way up.

Percy, if you are anywhere near northampton, I can recommend you go and visit the Crockett & Jones factory shop and also Trickers. My favorite boots at the moment are my Trickers Wetherby, which are a good old fashioned English country boot and match pretty well with denim.

edit: this is how they look

1712342527_f90de8f4c1.jpg

I came close to picking up a pair of wetherbys recently. They look absolutely brilliant.

Do you have any recent photo's? I seem to recall that this photo was when they were quite new.

That photo was taken a few of months ago when they were about 5 months old. I'll try to get some more pictures this weekend if there is any decent light.

I love them, perhaps a little more rugged looking than say a Crockett & Jones Coniston or some of the Alden boots and wouldn't look great with a suit (unless it's tweed) but matches denim.

The darker pair is a few coats light brown polish (like Amlai, I wanted to darken the stitching on the toe), and from then on, light tan polished to a high shine once every few weeks. Only Kiwi, no Propert's or other boot cremes. And then the lighter pair is only neutral, since I don't want to darken the great natural-colored welt!

That photo was taken a few of months ago when they were about 5 months old. I'll try to get some more pictures this weekend if there is any decent light.

I love them, perhaps a little more rugged looking than say a Crockett & Jones Coniston or some of the Alden boots and wouldn't look great with a suit (unless it's tweed) but matches denim.

There sure isn't much snow in London but have noticed how bad that Tricker's commando sole is in snow (after awhile you're walking with these platform shoes)? It's actually so bad that one can't wear them at all if theres snow... I haven't found a decent cobbler from Finland who could change the sole.

thanks for replies guys, that helps. obviously not being in a position to try them on makes the selection bit more of a gamble, but thats internet shopping for you!

my other option being in the uk, is to go for an english shoe company, grenson etc, but i am undecided as i like the indy styling.

regards

if i were you, i would go for the english shoes. there are so many wonderful models by crocket & jones etc. im going to uk in a few weeks to buy shoes :).

those are sex.

family has been cleaning up for some goodwill-type donations-

i am tempted to take a selfish look through my pop's shoe collection...

home-thrifting lol