Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Ha, maybe I was unfair on my old laptop! Gotta spread, as always...

Don't know if you saw this when I posted it a few weeks ago, but this blog has some great Tricker's pics on it, including an espresso Burford that looks the dog's bollocks...plus a pretty decent Stow in burgundy...

http://trickersmylife.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the link - haha, what a Tricker's nut :D

The Henry and Stephen boots remind me too much of RM Williams :P

Never seen those U-Tips before though.

It is kind of weird, and it begs the question "why remove the grain if you can get the same effect just by flipping it over?" And suede typically commands a higher price than roughout.

Not sure if they call it full grain when it remains, but that seems correct in theory.

Interesting indeed!

Maybe because when making suede leathers they could split the hide into a top-end and split end - more profit?

But then again, one could split a bit of the corium and still do a rough out, just not technically full grain.

I have a pair of Wesco Boss in burlap, which looks like what they call nubuck ( for lack of a better comparison, like Timberlands). The flip-side has a roughout side as well. Is nubuck different than suede, or is this all the same shit?

lw4.jpg

Great job!

IIRC nubuck is suede that comes from the top end/level of the split - the better layer apparently.

Thanks for the link - haha, what a Tricker's nut :D

The Henry and Stephen boots remind me too much of RM Williams :P

Never seen those U-Tips before though.

Yeah, agreed on the Henry and Stephen boots. The U-Tip is possibly a MTO for the future, I've got ideas already...

Coleslawyum - not a fan of the Wescos I've seen so far, but you even manage to make that pair look good to me! Good to see I'm not the only Saphir fan on here...chuffed to fuck that I've been able to source some in the UK...

wow i wanna see how you do it pls post step by step buddy

I don't think you need little old me showing you how to polish a boot, Ed ;)

This is what I use though:

dscf2334n.jpg

Toothbrush and water for cleaning the welt; Saphir Renovateur if they need some TLC; cotton rag and water for applying the polish and for bulling the toecap; brush for the initial buff and microfibre cloth for the finish...

Takes about 30 mins to get a finish like the Burfords above...didn't I saw something a while back about 'they're only boots'? Meh...

Those burfords look great. Who was it who once said trickers don't take a shine? Eh Eddie?

Ha, I read through the thread recently and saw that comment...not had a problem with mine, and not needed elbow grease either.

What're the Wetherbys like to shine? The leather on those feels a little 'matte', more so than the others I've handled.

Did you resole those burford or are they MTO? What sole do they have??

Resoled with a Victory sole by the Shoe Healer, looked like this when I got them back:

dscf2182d.jpg

While not really what is typically seen here, I thought I'd post them anyways. I just got these bespoke dress shoes back from JP Myhre for a repair/refurbishment. I wish I had taken some before photos because they were in really bad shape. I've had them for about 3 years.

New heel, half outsole, toe plates, dying, waxing, and glazing. I assume it was a half outsole because he didn't think a full replacement was necessary.

IMG_3259cropped.jpg

IMG_3260sized.jpg

Nice refurb, amlai...

Picked up a couple of battered old pairs C&J off eBay, as I fancied summat a little dressier without splashing the (now depleted) cash.

These boots cost me eleven quid, and an hour or so of my time for TLC...if the '1972' refers to the year of manufacture, then they're older than me by a year and possibly brush up a little better...

Before:

dscf2351s.jpg

dscf2352j.jpg

And after:

dscf2365t.jpg

imag0003kc.jpg

Apparently my Lotus are now resoled, but it wasn't the easiest of jobs due to their construction and the stitching on the underside isn't as clean as he'd have liked (he warned me in advance that it mightn't be as straight forward as you might expect...)

Oh, and some of you might like these Alden now available from The Bureau:

aalden1.jpg

http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/product/1557/alden-milkshake-suede-pull-up-work-boot/

For £440, I'd rather go for one of their Tricker's and pocket the remaining hundred quid...handsome boots, though...

Any experience with Nick's custom boots? It's somewhat similar to White's offering but slightly lower price.

Nick worked at White's and broke off to open his own shop years ago. Same technique, probably same materials, quality should be comparable. You're paying less because Nick is lesser known.

Thanks Morse for the info, I requested catalog from him to see what options he has.

Anyway, Kyle from bakershoe told me that White's 'might' carry blue/burgundy chromexcel around June, and possibly other options that aren't available yet in the US...

Don't know if these have been posted yet, but I wonder how high they will go.

Horsehide Vintage Wolverine 1000mile Deadstock