Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

actually, now that I'm thinking of it and have nothing better to do, heres a little update on my rough outs.

photo.jpg

a couple months ago I had the boots re-heeled by a local cobbler. I'm not very impressed with the job. the heel kinda sticks out off the back and looks fairly sloppy. I'll probably wait to have this fixed until the sole needs to be replaced.

photo3-1.jpg

photo5.jpg

Also a curious new problem? if anyone remembers the first pair I had of these were shipped with a huge rip in this area...before I even put them on. It appears that this boot is ripping in that area now. not sure what to do about this. I guess a cobbler should be able to repair it...

photo4.jpg

actually, now that I'm thinking of it and have nothing better to do, heres a little update on my rough outs.

photo.jpg

a couple months ago I had the boots re-heeled by a local cobbler. I'm not very impressed with the job. the heel kinda sticks out off the back and looks fairly sloppy. I'll probably wait to have this fixed until the sole needs to be replaced.

photo3-1.jpg

photo5.jpg

Also a curious new problem? if anyone remembers the first pair I had of these were shipped with a huge rip in this area...before I even put them on. It appears that this boot is ripping in that area now. not sure what to do about this. I guess a cobbler should be able to repair it...

photo4.jpg

baker shoe dot com. i don't have the particular aldens you mentioned but there's no comparison there. the white's are work boots. those SFO's are boutique boots made by dress shoe manufactures with like, workboots as grandfathers; very nice but you wouldn't put them (the alden's) on to dig out bushes in your yard with a shovel (meaning i put on my white's for like, shovel work, and aldens for like, maybe some woodworking in my basement, like [i don't do too much of that, in truth])

That is a very astute observation about Alden boots. Are there others that agree with this?

baker shoe dot com. i don't have the particular aldens you mentioned but there's no comparison there. the white's are work boots. those SFO's are boutique boots made by dress shoe manufactures with like, workboots as grandfathers; very nice but you wouldn't put them (the alden's) on to dig out bushes in your yard with a shovel (meaning i put on my white's for like, shovel work, and aldens for like, maybe some woodworking in my basement, like [i don't do too much of that, in truth])

That is a very astute observation about Alden boots. Are there others that agree with this?

Anyone have a good link for decent and inexpensive shoe trees?

I get most of mine from thrift stores....

They always seem to have them. I can even get the vintage ones that are sized to the actual shoe size not just S, M, L.

but you can actually find like an 11 C or a 9 1/2 D.. .

Worth checking out and they'll only run about 3-5 bucks per pair...

They always seem to have them. I can even get the vintage ones that are sized to the actual shoe size not just S, M, L.

Thrift stores/flea markets would be an option, but being in New York it means that those things are either extremely picked over or (for the vintage ones at least) overpriced

I'm trying to figure out what 10N means vs 10W - it's either Narrow or Normal and those two things have very different meanings

Thrift stores/flea markets would be an option, but being in New York it means that those things are either extremely picked over or (for the vintage ones at least) overpriced

I'm trying to figure out what 10N means vs 10W - it's either Narrow or Normal and those two things have very different meanings

10 N is narrow. 10 W is wide. There is not normal as far as know when it comes to shoes.

Narrow, Regular, Wide.....

10 N is narrow. 10 W is wide. There is not normal as far as know when it comes to shoes.

Narrow, Regular, Wide.....

i will probably end up buying a pair of trickers grasmere in black, but im not sure what size. i wear a size us9 in most sneakers (vans) and a us8 in a pair of red wing 875. not sure whether i should drop ½ or a full size. (uk7 or 7½) so a person owning trickers, red wings or vans would be of much help! i really want a pair of trickers!

i will probably end up buying a pair of trickers grasmere in black, but im not sure what size. i wear a size us9 in most sneakers (vans) and a us8 in a pair of red wing 875. not sure whether i should drop ½ or a full size. (uk7 or 7½) so a person owning trickers, red wings or vans would be of much help! i really want a pair of trickers!

I would agree with this, but I have worn my Indys for digging ditches and they hold up just fine, but some of the other models would not cut it.

I would agree with this, but I have worn my Indys for digging ditches and they hold up just fine, but some of the other models would not cut it.

I am a UK 11 (measured size) and find that on some lasts I am also a UK 11 for Trickers, especially in their shoes, rather than boots. In boots I can go down for example on the Burford to a UK 10.5. I absolutely could NOT go down a full size.

nb I am a US 11 in Red Wing GT's if that helps.

I am a UK 11 (measured size) and find that on some lasts I am also a UK 11 for Trickers, especially in their shoes, rather than boots. In boots I can go down for example on the Burford to a UK 10.5. I absolutely could NOT go down a full size.

nb I am a US 11 in Red Wing GT's if that helps.

rochester shoe tree company

$25 on amazon

this is a reasonable price for made in USA, good quality shoe trees

if i recall correctly, they provide the shoe trees for a certain american shoe company

however, any cedar shoe tree should do the trick

lower end "decent" ones can be found on several online shops, depending on your preference for roughly $14

anything lower than $14 is like half of a wooden stick.

i would just buy the rochesters

i have no experience with the aforementioned "vintage shoe trees"

i reckon they could be gross

rochester shoe tree company

$25 on amazon

this is a reasonable price for made in USA, good quality shoe trees

if i recall correctly, they provide the shoe trees for a certain american shoe company

however, any cedar shoe tree should do the trick

lower end "decent" ones can be found on several online shops, depending on your preference for roughly $14

anything lower than $14 is like half of a wooden stick.

i would just buy the rochesters

i have no experience with the aforementioned "vintage shoe trees"

i reckon they could be gross

Just ordered some of those WWII rough outs in 8D! I've been tempted to for a while now. We will see how they look, i dont like the color on them too much as-is but i've noticed with a few coats of some sno-seal and some wear they get a nice patina. $140 aint bad at all.

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/usarmy.html near the bottom