Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

agreed. aldens seem too age super well

cross-post from High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

Kampala is pretty much a second-hand clothing gold mine. I don't get a lot of time to walk around the shops, but the other day I was walking the street and caught sight of these:

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

anybody heard of "Woodstone"?

The fleece lining looked a little worn but otherwise they were in damn-near perfect condition.

I'm not a huuuuuge fan of the hiking-boot look, but I'm a sucker for blue suede shoes. Unfortunately they're about a size big on me (I was wearing dress socks and my toes were touching the end of the boot). The seller's first price was 60,000 shillings (~$30), which means I probably coulda talked her down to $15-20. I Wish they'd fit!

And now for something completely different..

I finaly got some pictures of my now half year old MOTO desert boots!

Here you go.

DSC_5095.jpg

DSC_5085.jpg

DSC_5093.jpg

DSC_5109.jpg

These have been treated with leathercream, neutral leathergrease and have been cleaned twice with saddle soap.

And a sneak peak of my new MOTO monkey boots:

DSC_5099.jpg

i think if youre buying trickers get a pair of wingtips. those look a little goofy, pretty wide/ toe looks a little too round for my liking. also with the tag on back they look A LOT like docs, which the other trickers dont. http://www.trickers.com/Collections/Country_Boot/group2.jpg look better. also speed hooks are fantastic, those will be annoying to lace

This is partly a shameless plug and partly for the edification of posterity (since there are so few pics of these online):

Jil Sander Handmade Boots, by Salvano Lattanzi

fs91.jpg

fs90.jpg

fs96.jpg

These are both the nicest and the most expensive ($2600+) boots I've ever handled. They're currently up for an IC in my FS thread-- http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=204267-- though I'm still on the fence about letting them go.

2900 $ ??

well, since most of us here spend 300 $ on jeans i can conceive that, my price limit for all the shit i wear will be 1000$, and i do hope it will last for a long time.

and now please let us know why you would let go a 3K pair of boots.

i think if youre buying trickers get a pair of wingtips. those look a little goofy, pretty wide/ toe looks a little too round for my liking. also with the tag on back they look A LOT like docs, which the other trickers dont. http://www.trickers.com/Collections/Country_Boot/group2.jpg look better. also speed hooks are fantastic, those will be annoying to lace

Don't listen to this.

Burfords look great, especially in that marron colour you posted.

I have the wetherby which is very similar and they have served me very well for getting on for 3 years.

2900 $ ??

well, since most of us here spend 300 $ on jeans i can conceive that, my price limit for all the shit i wear will be 1000$, and i do hope it will last for a long time.

and now please let us know why you would let go a 3K pair of boots.

Those jil sander boots are just silly money. Should have gone to Lobb if you want to spend that sort of cash. Or just get 4 pairs of Alden cordovan boots and keep the change.

yeah, i'm afraid i can't offer any insight into the psychology or financial situation of someone who would pay retail for these (since i got them for muuuuch less). i'm thinking of selling them just because i wear them so infrequently. i tend to opt for the slimmer profile of my butteros when i wear brown boots.

I'm guessing because they look hideous.

hmmm...i think they're actually quite beautiful for what they are-- though as i suggested above, i think the shape of the last works better with jeans that are less slim than the one's i usually wear.

I don't understand why anyone would produce a 3000 usd boot and then slap a vibram sole underneath it.

Who does that move cater to?

perhaps because the soles are made from wood and not leather? though i don't have enough experience with the former to know if that makes a relevant difference.

We are talking way to much about those frankensteinboots and not nearly enough about my beautiful MOTOs.

always been a fan of moto. nice.

Don't listen to this.

Burfords look great, especially in that marron colour you posted.

I have the wetherby which is very similar and they have served me very well for getting on for 3 years.

Well good thing since I like wide and round toe and I like Docs.

Wingtips looks too casual/dressy for me.

Anyway, thank you guys. Im gonna buy them for shoeshealer.co.uk. The guys seems super skilled. Are steel toes really useful on leather sole ?