Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I forget how awkward looking the indys are when new. They look great after the first few creases are put into them though.

soon I'll need to put away my Red Wings and Wolverines and wear the Clarks for the summer. Feeling a bit sad as I love my Wolverines. Anyone else going to miss their footwear? :D

im not... i have to wear boots all summer long on the job site. i think my redwings are gonna get a bit of a break tho... im trying to break in these vintage ropers i have.

They also redesigned their website and now offer lots of custom examples of the semi dress. Looks like they're getting the hint and catering to the fashion crowd more. The "vintage boot line" is now at the top of the category list.

repping the old school logos

k9x2f6.jpg

3097gpl.jpg

can someone recommend a good pair of engineer/motorcycle boots?

I mocked up a custom pair on the Wesco site and it came to like $800 bucks.

Ideally I want them to be brown/tan (just not black), and I like the thinner "patrol" toe I think Wesco called it. I don't like huge heels, something low profile with a pointy-er toe. I looked at the Frye Jackson Engineers, anyone have any experience with those?

If you have time to spare for the hunt, you can find an original pair of 1940's/1950's Engineer Boots with the flat, "pointy"ish toe (they started off round, but with years of wear, they become flat and pointy) for well under the price of WESCO's or MF. Chances are, if there is a boot currently in production that offer this style of toe, that company knows the value, so you're gonna spend a grand.

The Frye Brando's (now called the Rand due to trademark issues) is an underrated boot that has a low'ish profile with low heels and, with lots of wear, the toe will flatten.

331813454_o.jpg

To get a good price idea for vintage boots with this style of toe, take a look at my blog where you'll find almost any style made.

To look at a portion of my personal Engineer Boot collection, for reference, take a look at page six HERE

I may have too much information on Engineer Boots than one should have, so if you have any more questions, I might have an answer - if not, then I'll know who to ask to find it.

Cheers!

Here's a really good photo and nice REVIEW of the Brando boots. This Gentleman purchased these boots based off pictures of mine.

He also took the blackish dye on the sole edge, which I'm a big advocate of (I've done it to a few of my boots), to give it a more vintage look.

4448756600_44053dedb4.jpg

I have a pair of these frye brandos and I gotta say they are well worth the cash. the only thing I would improve on would be the sole. The leather sole comes with a very thin rubber half sole that get worn through pretty quick and the leather sole is made of a less dense sole than some of the other top notch boot makers, but the shits look nice and the leather has a lot of character.

I recently stumbled upon $500 of Wesco credit being sold on Craigslist for a nice price. I flipped a coin and went for it, though I still haven't decided if Wesco is for me. I really like the vintage aesthetic on the Red Wing and Lone Wolf engineers, whereas half of the bosses I see online are 25" tall with a gigantic lug sole.

Interestingly: I spoke to someone at Wesco about having a boss made with the motor patrol toe and a stacked heel. I learned that Wesco U.S.A. is forbidden to sell this combination to customers for a certain amount of time, as the folks selling the $1400 narrow engineer boot in Japan bought the rights to this combination.