Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

actually, my indys have rubber souls but with no traction. (so basically, we're still talking about the same thing.)

let's look into it miz. don't know if we hit the last ice storm of this season, but it might be worth looking into at any rate like leicalad says.

If anybody is interested in the next Leathersoul order the info is posted on AskAndy in the deals and steals section. He asked that people actually visit AskAndy to get the info so that Andy gets more exposure. Spectacular deals on the wingtip boots continue. :)

I'm ordering a pair of #8 indys. :) :)

I read the AAAF site, but not that forum. Now I've registered and tried all the work-arounds, but can't get in. Yet more temptations. The wife will not be pleased. Exotic slip-ons, maybe, but she's of the Asian school that has no appreciation of boots.

Adam at Alden of Carmen says the AF61 will shortly be discontinued http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Cigar_Shell_Cordovan_Plain_Toe_Blucher_Oxford_171.htm

It's a beaut.

Why do you suppose commando soled shoes of this type aren't available at the Alden shops here in NYC? I just want to wear nothing but cordos forever.

This thread will never die. As Martha says, That's a good thing.

For a mere $700+. Bill should be embarrassed.

Ok, so this is a "Can you help me Identify these?" and a "Check out what I found at the thrift store today"

They are marked "Sabels Shoes". Heavy black shiny leather, leather sole. Heel marked both "Good Year" and "wingfoot". The heel also is marked with the redwing logo (or a copy of it, somewhat more generic)

They are cotton duck lined

pics with my new Okinawas

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_04071.jpg

I think I'll keep my Indies cork for now:

I finally did it. Not being able to find any other high-quality brown boot wide enough, I finally went to the Alden shop here in NYC and picked up the Indy boot in 9 1/2 EEE. It's bit wider than I need, but they didn't have an EE.

Last year the Indy leather came from the tannery a very orange-ish brown. This year, look at the leather! A deeper tan, almost russet, and softer leather, comfortable from the get.

Enjoy!

indy1.gif

indy2.gif

indy3.gif

indy4.gif

indy5.gif

indy6.gif

I have one question though - what will raw denim do to them? My Red Wings are going blue. I'm hoping it's because of their tacky oil-tanned surface. The Indies are smooth leather. And to take the tiny bit of tack off and make them glossier and hopefully more indigo-resistant, I treated them several times with this stuff:

shoeshinekit_1934_2661359

I think I'll keep my Indies cork for now:

I finally did it.

indy1.gif

indy2.gif

man they look so nice. I just went to the SF store last Sat and tried on the indy and the chukka, they were very helpful and I got the perfect size on both... I need 7.5EE on the Indy and 8E on the Chukka, well, the chukkas were a bit weird, like 8E with thick socks were perfect, but with thin socks the right one was a bit loose, went down to 7.5 and left foot was too tight and the guy said the cordo leather doesn't give by much... so 8E will probably be safer...

I'm so tempted to go in and just get the Indy too man, they're readily available in like ALL the sizes, and of course they're relatively "cheap"...

I'm also kindda in love with the cigar color, it's so nice. When I went in I thought I'd like color 8 the most, but they had the chukkas in color 8, cigar, and ravello, and between those cigar was my favorite. So right now I'm thinking about either the AF68 or the AF73 from Carmel. They won't have the AF68 in 7.5EE though, the AF83 uses the same last as the chukkas so maybe sizing would be similar? it's gonna be risky to order without trying them on.

oh btw the sf store got matching cordo belts that are very dope... heh...

If you got the AF73 that would be great! They are dressier than the AF68s or Indies. Good luck finding what you need. One thing that helps with sizing is good insoles. I got some great ones from Mephisto, some of the most comfortable I've had. They make the Indies more walkable.

I'm often in a retro mood, wanting to wear the way-cool heavy shoes my father used to wear as an architect in California in the 50s and 60s. Alden has something like that I'm gonna get this spring, the cordovan chukka:

1339.jpg

I have one question though - what will raw denim do to them? My Red Wings are going blue. I'm hoping it's because of their tacky oil-tanned surface. The Indies are smooth leather. And to take the tiny bit of tack off and make them glossier and hopefully more indigo-resistant, I treated them several times with this stuff:

i've been wearing my indys for more than three months with different raw denims, including about three weeks with my eternal 811s which bleeds like crazy. yet, not a sign of indigo on my indys. :cool:

If you got the AF73 that would be great! They are dressier than the AF68s or Indies. Good luck finding what you need. One thing that helps with sizing is good insoles. I got some great ones from Mephisto, some of the most comfortable I've had. They make the Indies more walkable.

I'm often in a retro mood, wanting to wear the way-cool heavy shoes my father used to wear as an architect in California in the 50s and 60s. Alden has something like that I'm gonna get this spring, the cordovan chukka:

1339.jpg

how much do these run?

Woah! The thread has had 5 opr so pages of replies since my last visit :confused:. Stupid forum software did not notify me of replies :mad:...

I once made a similar statement. There is no endpoint to a boot collection...:( .

Ah yes. At least I am not the only one with that fear. I wonder if chewing on a piece of tanned cordo or roo boot leather would work the way Nicorette gum does for smokers...

Ok, so this is a "Can you help me Identify these?" and a "Check out what I found at the thrift store today"

They are marked "Sabels Shoes". Heavy black shiny leather, leather sole. Heel marked both "Good Year" and "wingfoot". The heel also is marked with the redwing logo (or a copy of it, somewhat more generic)

pics with my new Okinawas

Those are interesting!

a little over $500. I was thinking about getting them but I'm just not sure if I would be able to wear them in the summer.

Tsk tsk tsk. As I have mentioned before, if I only wore boots when the weather were cooler, I'd only wear my boots about 10 times a year :D

Not to sound like an Alden fanboy (really!) but they look a lot like these, but maybe a special order for another company. My indys have a "made specially for LeatherSoul" logo inside the heel.

Nice pickup!