Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

those Alden restoration pics look fantastic! I certainly won't hesitate to send my shoes off to them if I ever feel the need.

BTW my narrow feet ruins another purchase for me. I now have a pair of Leather Soul ULTIMATE Indy's for sale in a size 8 D tru-balance last. I'm looking to sell them for the retail price of $450.00 total shipped in the U.S., if anyone is interested, please PM me. They are BRAND SPANKIN NEW. (I'd also be willing to throw them up on ebay for the LIVE discount, just let me know.) I do apologize for shittin' up this thread with stuff I have for sale, but I don't see any other real Alden fans other than in this awesome thread :)

Nice boots! I'd LP them pretty much right away but it's not going to hurt them much if you can't do it immediately. I learned the next part the hard way...rotate them and keep them DRY! I had a pair of 875s develop a horrible smell after I wore them too often and never let them dry out.

To me, they look virtually new:

DSC_0004_3.JPG

The insoles and soles are stamped "Alden Restoration":

DSC_0009_2.JPG

I think they look a lot better than new- this is what this thread, and good shoes, are all about! I think they look totally fantastic- they're as clean and fresh as new shoes, but they still have the character they earned while the were being worn. Love the Alden Restoraration stamp too- again it's nice because it's a certificiate of the fact they're not brand new:)

edit- sorry I can;t +rep

Thanks, JonB27, fattybfat, and rodeo bill! I'm happy with the results, and am looking forward to wearing them. The Alden service was really good, and I'd definitely think about using them again for other shoes. I wonder how they'd handle more idiosyncratic requests (I didn't want anything unusual for these shoes), and I wonder if they'd have any different attitude towards special makeups by places like Leather Soul or Alden of Carmel.

Thanks, JonB27, fattybfat, and rodeo bill! I'm happy with the results, and am looking forward to wearing them. The Alden service was really good, and I'd definitely think about using them again for other shoes. I wonder how they'd handle more idiosyncratic requests (I didn't want anything unusual for these shoes), and I wonder if they'd have any different attitude towards special makeups by places like Leather Soul or Alden of Carmel.

good job on the restauration - lets buy all our aldens off ebay and do the same. rules!

^^ I have no experience with those, but with Boston which pretty much are Londons with open back. If you got a proper fit on the Arizonas (meaning no toes hanging out), I see no reason to size up at all. I wear the same size in Boston as in Ramses (open toes), and if anything, the Bostons fit looser because they are roomy in the toe box.

The fit should be the same, and I have a hard time beliving you couldnt get your feet into them because of the closed back.

For Arizona, i have the proper fit which is 39 with no toes hanging out, and it feel perfect, but when i try on the boston size 39 and when i walk, my toes keep hitting/touching the front which feel very uncomfortable. That is why i dont know if the 39 would feel different for open back(clog) and shoe, or will i be hitting the front for the shoe too.

not sure if anyone is going to be in HK anytime soon, but there's going to be 2 new Alden cordovan boots coming!

--------------------------------------------------------

malibaabm.jpg

We are pleased to share with you that Mr. Nate Humble from Alden Shoe Company will be in Hong Kong on November 15 to launch two new Shell Cordovan Boots for the Fall/Winter 2008 collection. These models are made exclusively for TASSELS and will not be available elsewhere in the world. Furthermore, he will offer customers a preview of several new Alden models that will become available worldwide in 2009.

Kindly stop by our shop between 1 P.M. and 7 P.M. on next Saturday, November 15 to meet Mr. Nate Humber and learn why Alden Shoe is favored by America’s elites.

You will also receive a pair of complimentary Alden cedar wood shoe trees with every purchase of Alden shoes on that day.

Store Information:

Tassels – Gentlemen’s Shoe Store

Level 2, 9 On Lan Street, Central, Hong Kong

Monday to Saturday, 12 noon to 8 pm

------------------------------------------------------

must. not. buy. more. shoes...

not sure if anyone is going to be in HK anytime soon, but there's going to be 2 new Alden cordovan boots coming!

--------------------------------------------------------

malibaabm.jpg

Looks a lot like a shell Indy boot, but with a pull loop on the back...

Hey, is there any further talk about the cigar plain toe boots from a few pages back? Was there ever any consensus on that?

We had pretty good consensus on:

Plain toe

Leydon last

Leather soled (single or double)

Close heel welt

Natural edge dressing

Speed hooks

And then all of a sudden there wasn't... in particular, partytaco's and Bill's votes...

modified last, calf skin gusseted tongue, cigar shell cordovan, single leather sole plain toe, eyelets all the way up, close heel trim, heel counter stitching.

My vote is for Trubalance...

I like double leather soles, close regular heel welt.... Natural/antique edge trim just like the Plaza Cigar boot

I'd go for metal eyelets.... I just don't see blind eyelets on a double leather sole working together, its a mixed message to me.

Now, unfortunately, while partytaco's suggestion is nice, it isn't feasible at all, so I suppose we can discount that. Bill's major dispute is the last.

I was hoping that Tom would weigh in on the thread, but he hasn't.

Though I prefer Trubalance, and really just wish we could get Modified somehow, I am all about that boot with double leather and metal eyelets...but I would definitely throw my full support behind having the metal eyelets go all the way up for aesthetic and functional reasons (tearing up shoe laces, speed-hooks stretching/tearing my cigar shells at the point of attachment). Maybe I should give up on these and pounce on a pair of the cap-toes at moulded shoe.

i am thinking about adding a pair of the black redwing GTs to my collection. are they sold anywhere in NYC? i would ideally like to try them on first.

if i have to order them, what size do you recommend? i wear a 12 D in alden.

My Alden size is a 12C my AE size is 12D. My GTs are a 12 and a bit wide. If I could get them in a 12B I think they would be perfect.

I have a question for the shoe polishing gurus on the board. I recently got a new pair of black calf Aldens, and went overboard, building up crazy layers of polish...the polish was great, pretty much like patent leather, but it all came crashing down when I put the shoes on and creases started forming. I am now hoping to strip most/all of the wax (black Lincoln) and was wondering what my best plan of attack is. Thanks in advance.

Anyone experience with Birkenstock Alabama or London?

if i wear size 39 for arizona sandal do i need to wear 40 for the shoe since there is no opening on the front and back?

i have both and both are 42. its quite easy to slip your foot in and out of the shoe and in fact i feel it fits a little larger than the arizona. never seen that colour before tho... provide a link please?

i am thinking about adding a pair of the black redwing GTs to my collection. are they sold anywhere in NYC? i would ideally like to try them on first.

They actually just got GT's in at the David Z's shoe store on Broadway between Prince and Spring, thats where i bought mine from lol probably spent too much money on them.... If i were you i would go and try them then just order online, something i shouldve done too but i fell in love with them the second i slipped them on so i couldnt wait :P

i have both and both are 42. its quite easy to slip your foot in and out of the shoe and in fact i feel it fits a little larger than the arizona. never seen that colour before tho... provide a link please?

well, birkenstock recommend to have 1/4 inch on front and back for sandal, but for my arizona 39 it pretty much fit perfectly with not much room at all. So anyway, i guess i will hold on to it until i find one to try on. Actually i find my new arizona tighter than my previous one even they are the same size..

here is the link ..

http://www.birkenstockusa.com/products/men/shoes/alabama/terracotta-nubuck/86717

There's also the Shoe Market out in Brooklyn, L Train to Bedford Ave. Last I checked they had GTs and Iron Rangers.