Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I'm looking for an elegant boot with a leather sole that isn't an ankle boot. I would like it to be able to pass as a dress shoe. I've seen a lot here that I really like, but I would like them to be a few inches taller.

botanueva5hv3.jpg

How bout those? They're expensive unfortunately, but are made to order based on your last size in another boot with any of like 4 different soles.

I just sold a pair I had. I don't regret it as I'm getting 4060s or something instead, but man, they were gorgeous in person.

I hope those 4060s in a plaza last become reality

i've had them for about 6 months now. I love them. they go great with just about any outfit.

How bout those? They're expensive unfortunately, but are made to order based on your last size in another boot with any of like 4 different soles.

Ah... the London Lounge Balmoral boot... if the exchange rate wasn't so bad right now I'd be all over that.

i've had them for about 6 months now. I love them. they go great with just about any outfit.

I wish the AF53's were with double leather. I pretty much only wear the AF60s when the weather is downright nasty out. Now that I'm used to leather soles, I feel like the stickiness of the rubber to the pavement affects my natural movement.

botanueva5hv3.jpg

I was wondering when these would make an appearance in this thread...they are pretty amazing looking. I remember them being relatively expensive, but as far as I remember, pretty reasonable for what they are, all things considered. Anyone recall the price precisely?

I was wondering when these would make an appearance in this thread...they are pretty amazing looking. I remember them being relatively expensive, but as far as I remember, pretty reasonable for what they are, all things considered. Anyone recall the price precisely?

700 euros... which at current exchange rate comes out to a little over $1000 USD. It is almost what I paid for a pair of Edward Green Shannon's (which is nearly exactly what these look like). I guess boots in that style are just expensive.

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7327

- Is there any store in New York that could help me order a custom pair? I'm very nervous about ordering a custom pair over the phone without a fitting or looking at lasts.

===There is a men's fashion shop in Greenwich Village that stocks a few models of Tricker's. On Hudson I think, a few blocks north of Grove Street on the east side of the street. I went there and they had a few suede models. But - they didn't know anything about shoes or fitting, since it's a men's fashion shop. The shoes were more like props to an image they were trying to portray. I wouldn't rely on them for fitting advice. That's why I didn't remember the address!

- Any other reccomendations for boots that are a couple inches taller than an ankle boot, have an elegant last, no scotch grain, and are plain toed? Is this asking way too much?

===The place I would definitely try is Vogel's, not too far from Blue in Green. I've never been there myself but intend to go. They seem old-skool. Their website looks pretty serious, and it looks like they could make just what you want:

http://www.vogelshoes.com/specialty_boots.asp

Have heard a lot of good things about Dehners, but don't recall ever seeing one in the flesh.

700 euros... which at current exchange rate comes out to a little over $1000 USD. It is almost what I paid for a pair of Edward Green Shannon's (which is nearly exactly what these look like). I guess boots in that style are just expensive.

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7327

The Carminas are shell instead of calfskin, and as shell tends to be more expensive, could be considered a better deal. But, I dunno, it seems like you're getting whatever you want at that price anyway.

Gonna drop by Carmina and have a look-see in March I think.

===The place I would definitely try is Vogel's, not too far from Blue in Green. I've never been there myself but intend to go. They seem old-skool. Their website looks pretty serious, and it looks like they could make just what you want:

Interesting site. The "Paddocks" look the most appealing to me, out of all the models I could find, although I think they'd have to take the height of the boot down (which IS a service they provide... it's just that it costs $100+!)

Man, boots are such an investment... just can't rationalize spending that much money on them atm.

Denim, on the other hand, I somehow am able to (even though I can't wear it at work!) :confused: go fig.

Man, boots are such an investment... just can't rationalize spending that much money on them atm.

Denim, on the other hand, I somehow am able to (even though I can't wear it at work!) :confused: go fig.

===Same here. I guess that's cause the boots cost like 2x as much. I can wear them to work at least.

Carmina shell is beautiful! (NOT MINE, sadly)

IMG_0071.jpg

:eek::eek: OMFG!!! I need these

I suppose this is a British brand? I looked all over and didnt find anything , company doesnt even have a website.

Anyone knows anything about it and where to get some PM me please.

I suppose this is a British brand? I looked all over and didnt find anything , company doesnt even have a website.

They do have a website. They're Spanish actually, though their bespoke is out of their Paris store only. They specialize in non-traditional shapes and colors of shell cordovan.

http://www.carminashoemaker.com/

The Carminas are shell instead of calfskin, and as shell tends to be more expensive, could be considered a better deal. But, I dunno, it seems like you're getting whatever you want at that price anyway.

Gonna drop by Carmina and have a look-see in March I think.

Right, shell is definitely more expensive. I guess it depends on whether or not you think EG is worth their price and whether or not you think Carmina makes as good a product. Some would probably say yes, others would probably say no. Either way, the boots are pricey.

Spanish brand. I unfortunately have not found a good way to get them except to travel to Spain or France. In the past there have been various retailers in the US who have carried them, but my understanding is the demand is too high and they can't support the volume, so (for now) they have stopped their US retail sales.

http://www.carminashoemaker.com/eng.html

Thanks for the replies everybody...

Greg - ^ Those are looking great.

Goat - Those look very nice. Do you have them already or did you just order? I'd like to see some more pics if it's possible.

Thetruescan & Amlai - I've never seen those LL Balmoral boots before, thanks for the pic and link. I'd love to see a well worn pair of those (or the EG Shannon's ;) )

-

Well, Tricker's got back to me today and said the boot I'm looking for is called the Burford Logger 8 eyelet boot, and they are 'made quite regularly for the Japanese market, but in non standard colours'. They said I would be able to send a foot tracing in for sizing, but I wouldn't be able to return it if it didn't fit. I think I am going to take the chance though, since these are the boots I really want...

trickers1.jpg

Dehner's also got back to me this morning about the leather options for their boots. The only thing they said though, is 'The dragoon is a great leather and very rugged, but since it is oil tanned, it doesn't polish very well. We also have the Voyager leather which is the dragoon without the oil'. Can anyone clarify what this means? I'm still unsure of the differences between Calfskin, Dragoon (oil tanned), and Voyager (not oil tanned). What would you guys choose? Is calfskin not oil tanned? Is Red Wing leather oil tanned? Sorry for the newb questions.

The place I would definitely try is Vogel's, not too far from Blue in Green. I've never been there myself but intend to go. They seem old-skool. Their website looks pretty serious, and it looks like they could make just what you want.

Wow! That place looks amazing. I'm in Minneapolis right now, but I'm definitely going there as soon as I get back to New York. I have a feeling I'm going to end up having three pairs of custom boots, all thanks to this thread.

Oil tan leather is easiest to identify by the ability to visibly scratch its surface, then rub the scratch away with your fingers. There is a lot of oil impreg. into the leather to keep it tough, water resistant, and acid resistant. The surface is too uneven and porous to take a proper shine. Your kiwi will get too oily from the leather, and never properly dry out.

Dehner's also got back to me this morning about the leather options for their boots. The only thing they said though, is 'The dragoon is a great leather and very rugged, but since it is oil tanned, it doesn't polish very well. We also have the Voyager leather which is the dragoon without the oil'. Can anyone clarify what this means? I'm still unsure of the differences between Calfskin, Dragoon (oil tanned), and Voyager (not oil tanned). What would you guys choose? Is calfskin not oil tanned? Is Red Wing leather oil tanned? Sorry for the newb questions.

Go for what they call Voyager leather. Those boots look best polished, no doubt.

Shoe leather for uppers is usually chrome-tanned or oil-tanned. Chrome tanning leaves the surface glossy and smooth, polish-able. Oil tanning impregnates the leather with fish oil, and leaves a tacky, grippy, slightly oily surface. Like Bill says, scratches in it are easily rubbed out. Many if not most U.S.-marketed Red Wing boots are oil-tanned, like the famous 875s. The oil-tanned surface actually attracts denim-stains on the light colored surface. I'm not crazy about this kind of leather. On the other hand, their chrome-tanned 1911s with the cherry finish are fantastic, but too narrow for my feet. :-(

I'm glad they actually explained this to you before you bought something. With this boot, I'd go for what they are calling Voyager leather. The boot screams for a polish. Calfskin is from younger cattle, the grain is tighter, smaller, closer together, a bit smoother surface. But leather can be from older cattle as well - it's usually called "cowhide" or "top grain leather."

I just booked my ticket to NYC for April. Alden here I come!

I could do with a decent shoe guy to maybe put some vibrams on a pair of White' boots.... or even cat's paws.... Greg, Miz? I decided to splurge and order these from Bill to be delivered while I am there, as my girl said she would buy me the Alden 405's for my birthday and I wont have such an opportunity to get them easily again for a long time.

That will be it for boots for a very long time I think. I'll have enough to last me till my dying days!

Yesterday, I jumped on the Indy Wagon. I was near the Red Wing store here on Oahu but decided for the money I'm going to spend, I should at least try on a pair of Indys first, just to make sure I didn't want a pair. I went to Leather Soul down in the heart of Waikiki and I was sized up, 8 1/2 D. I didn't think my feet were that small but they are. Matt, the guy working there, was going to special order the pair for me but he found out that they had a pair of cosmetically damaged 9 D's on hand. I tried them, they were a little bit big, but after he told me how much they were I quickly snatched them up. $200 and a brand new pair of Alden's later, I was driving through an hour of rush hour traffic a happy man. For the same money I would have a pair of Red Wings and I think made the right decision.

Here is a picture of the cosmetic damage. Apparently, the person sewing the boots went about 8-9 stitches past the welt and had to pull them out. It's the only thing wrong with the boot and it's barely noticeable.

IMG_1494.jpg

Also, Matt sized me up with a pair of Cordovan chukka boots, or whatever the real name is, and if I ever get a job where I wear a suit and tie uniform, cordovan Indys are on my list. That horse "ass" hide sure did feel nice against my feet.

Anyway, that's my story.

I just booked my ticket to NYC for April. Alden here I come!

I could do with a decent shoe guy to maybe put some vibrams on a pair of White' boots.... or even cat's paws.... Greg, Miz? I decided to splurge and order these from Bill to be delivered while I am there, as my girl said she would buy me the Alden 405's for my birthday and I wont have such an opportunity to get them easily again for a long time.

===If you're in the Midtown area, you can call me at work and I can show you 3 or 4 places around Grand Central near my office. The Alden shop is there. You're gonna get the work done on Whites, not Alden's right? In case it's Aldens, there's Alex Shoe Repair one shoe repair almost across the street from the Alden shop that probably does more Aldens than anyone else in the city. Aldens recommends them for putting different kinds of commando soles on Indies. 49 E 44TH St, Phone: (212) 682-4579. There are some shops you should avoid too. Alex's can work on Whites too, and did a pretty good job of punching out some Chippewa boots that had retarded heel counters. Depending on which Vibram you want, they might have to order it.

Yesterday, I jumped on the Indy Wagon. I was near the Red Wing store here on Oahu but decided for the money I'm going to spend, I should at least try on a pair of Indys first, just to make sure I didn't want a pair. I went to Leather Soul down in the heart of Waikiki and I was sized up, 8 1/2 D. I didn't think my feet were that small but they are. Matt, the guy working there, was going to special order the pair for me but he found out that they had a pair of cosmetically damaged 9 D's on hand. I tried them, they were a little bit big, but after he told me how much they were I quickly snatched them up. $200 and a brand new pair of Alden's later, I was driving through an hour of rush hour traffic a happy man. For the same money I would have a pair of Red Wings and I think made the right decision.

Here is a picture of the cosmetic damage. Apparently, the person sewing the boots went about 8-9 stitches past the welt and had to pull them out. It's the only thing wrong with the boot and it's barely noticeable.

Also, Matt sized me up with a pair of Cordovan chukka boots, or whatever the real name is, and if I ever get a job where I wear a suit and tie uniform, cordovan Indys are on my list. That horse "ass" hide sure did feel nice against my feet.

Anyway, that's my story.

congrats on your find dp. next time i go to hawaii i need to hit that place up. now post some pics of you wearing them!

Greg, Yes indeed I'll be staying in midtown - 34th I think. It's the whites I'll be having the work done on and I thought a vibram 705 would be a nice choice on those. I suppose cat's paw - a la Chicken's very pretty whites - would be a bit difficult to track down. Perhaps when I have put in the order with Bill and things are confirmed I'll ask you again if thats ok?

Now I need to decide on the leather........