Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

i haven't handled the 285s in person, but best guess is that the samurai 5000bks are quite slubbier and come with more modern fit. the pbj xx-005 blacks are even more slubbier with even tighter straight fit. i think the 285s might be the closest thing to the black 47s which give you contrasty fades.

have you ever checked out their 285s?

Hmmm. You have my attention. On my screen, they are barely black, but I'll trust that's just my laptop.

I can't find them on SC's site. Who is actually selling these at what prices? Got links to sellers?

Thanks!!!

hmm.

i never looked them up to purchase before, and with a quick search i'm having a bit of a problem, too. seems like i can only find them in brown and/or pre-distressed:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/mtjam/809726/809972/#697699

otherwise, this model looks pretty close, but the details are a bit different and it doesn't come with the arcuates:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/earthmarket/460157/597194/764623/#834530

meanwhile, i also ran into a model they created to go with the ma-1s -- buzz ricksons william gibson model:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/fukuraku/431399/493104/1774724/#1338828

i'll keep searching and will let you know if i find the right one.

EDIT: okay, it's definitely still on the sugar cane website. but they no longer seem to come with the arcuates like the rest of their lines:

http://www.sugarcane.jp/products/standard-0006.html#sc40285-411

EDIT2: you might have to go through someone like 2000db, and have him look into contacting hinoya and people.

hmm.

i never looked them up to purchase before, and with a quick search i'm having a bit of a problem, too. seems like i can only find them in brown and/or pre-distressed:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/mtjam/809726/809972/#697699

otherwise, this model looks pretty close, but the details are a bit different and it doesn't come with the arcuates:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/earthmarket/460157/597194/764623/#834530

meanwhile, i also ran into a model they created to go with the ma-1s -- buzz ricksons william gibson model:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/fukuraku/431399/493104/1774724/#1338828

i'll keep searching and will let you know if i find the right one.

EDIT: okay, it's definitely still on the sugar cane website. but they no longer seem to come with the arcuates like the rest of their lines:

http://www.sugarcane.jp/products/standard-0006.html#sc40285-411

Thanks Chicken. The worn black and brown ones do look rather nice. Wonder if they would indeed look as good IRL after some (or many :D ) months of wear.

Edit:

Wait, are those suppossed to be distressed jeans, not examples of the dry jeans worn in?

Chicken,

Many thanks. I kept digging and did find the page on the Sugar Cane site. The one-wash looks pretty interesting. May need to ask DB2000's help.

The Wm Gibson model looks like nice denim, but the cut seems to be, what?, 1942? No rivets to speak of. Can't see if any are used. And, unless the detail work is better than what one can see, hardly worth the premium for Billy Gibson's name on your butt.

I'd like a pair of these Black 47's to compliment the black Sammies coming in February.

Thanks, yet again.

sorry for taking the thread a bit off track, but i think these denim will go really well with nice pairs of boots. (or, is it the other way around?)

Wait, are those suppossed to be distressed jeans, not examples of the dry jeans worn in?

yeah, those are pre-distressed. hopefully, by wearing them from one-wash, you can age them to look even better than what was artificially distressed.

Chicken,

Many thanks. I kept digging and did find the page on the Sugar Cane site. The one-wash looks pretty interesting. May need to ask DB2000's help.

The Wm Gibson model looks like nice denim, but the cut seems to be, what?, 1942? No rivets to speak of. Can't see if any are used. And, unless the detail work is better than what one can see, hardly worth the premium for Billy Gibson's name on your butt.

I'd like a pair of these to compliment the black Sammies coming in February.

Thanks, yet again.

i completely agree about the gibson model. i think toyo enterprise is riding this pattern recognition thing as much as they can. i've been wanting someone to get a pair of these sc blacks. they're supposed to be awesome.

anyone got any of these? grenson bleasdale... would like to see them broken in

6538bleasedalebrwnbgkx8.jpg

You know, many people like scotch grain but for whatever reason I cannot warm up to it. I don't recall for sure but I think someone mentioned these over at Styleforum - I could be mistaken though. I know some people have similar boots from other makers, IIRC either Crockett & Jones or Edward Green.

Scotch grain may indeed look interesting once it has been beaten up. But I like wearing my shoes while polishing them a lot so that the break in is gradual and they keep looking good rather than trying to achieve the "filthy and torn 70 year old shoes of a hobo" effect popular with quite a few designer labels. These may get to the bashed and knackered stage faster than smoother grained leather boots.

On the other hand I should mention that these will be easier to maintain if you go "off-road" a lot than the Ilkley because of the dirt getting in the brogueing.

Oh and if you live anywhere with finer gravel (such as Tucson where it is used as a substitute for grass in people's yards), the commando sole is a serious PITA.

If that style is your taste, I'd suggest also looking at the Grenson Huntingdon, currently only sale for £10 less than this one. The C&J Coniston is probably better yet, but also more pricey. GregNYC has nice photos of his Conistons just a couple pages back in this thread, and he says his are very comfy.

For the Grenson boots, see Pediwear's sale. For the Conistons, Plal is cheaper.

If that style is your taste, I'd suggest also looking at the Grenson Huntingdon, currently only sale for £10 less than this one. The C&J Coniston is probably better yet, but also more pricey. GregNYC has nice photos of his Conistons just a couple pages back in this thread, and he says his are very comfy.

For the Grenson boots, see Pediwear's sale. For the Conistons, Plal is cheaper.

Seconded. I also got my Grenson from Pediwear - they even emailed me on their own volition before fullfilling my order to inquire if I have any other English shoes so they could help me with the sizing.

As I happen to be wearing them now, I thought I'd mention that the R.M. Williams boots are great, btw. At some point I need to take some proper photographs of my jodphur boots (they are the buckle sort of jodphur, not what RMW calls jodphurs - ie chelsea/dealer boots). There are very few photographs of that model on the net, unlike the Craftsman that is everywhere. I should also mention that Sator has been working on some sort of secret project over at his Australian "skunkworks" on a combination of last, sole construction and sizing tweaks that will make the RMW chelseas as per his post, "giant killers." Waiting with baited breath.

Skalogre, your mention of the Stockman buckle boots you’re wearing makes me curious. Have you seen the Tricker’s Chepstow jodhpur? This is in their premier line. The UK10 is on sale at Pediwear, too. I’ve been looking at it, but can’t decide whether the RMW is the better boot. The Tricker’s look pretty elegant! What was your price delivered? I’m presuming you’re quite happy with them. I’m simply amazed that you wear a UK10 in the Ilkley and a 9F in the RWM. That’s a major difference!

g'nite!

724jermyn_chepstow.jpg

Skalogre, your mention of the Stockman buckle boots you’re wearing makes me curious. Have you seen the Tricker’s Chepstow jodhpur? This is in their premier line. The UK10 is on sale at Pediwear, too. I’ve been looking at it, but can’t decide whether the RMW is the better boot. The Tricker’s look pretty elegant! What was your price delivered? I’m presuming you’re quite happy with them. I’m simply amazed that you wear a UK10 in the Ilkley and a 9F in the RWM. That’s a major difference!

g'nite!

Yeah... I am much happier with the fit on the RMW actually. The Ilkley are quite wide but with thicker socks they are not that bad. Still rather loose but I have walked before several miles in them with no trouble so I am keeping them. Unfortunately I have spindly ankles so I think the only way I would get a perfect fit would be with made-to-measure or bespoke.

Price was I think around 300 USD. Significantly more than what Nungar charges for the Craftsman but I am thinking I will keep these boots for MANY years and they are unbelievably versatile. My most expensive footwear purchase but I am enthralled with the Stockmans.

Don't know how they compare to the Tricker's jodphur but RMW boots have a reputation for durability and quality materials.

Another reason for the price is that they are kangaroo leather. Suppossedly it is one of the most resilient and pliable leathers around. It is just unbelievably soft. Almost as pliable as some sort of thicker fabric!

Unlike cordovan it stretches and softens very fast.

^ man, those are some sexy boots skalogre. so glad you're here.

;)

And just think, you could get edmorel's boots with a storm welt and composite sole! The equivalent of an Audi Allroad or a Range Rover! Take it almost anywhere off the road, move furniture and materials then just clean & polish them up for a nicer dinner out with the significant other at a high end restaurant :D

You know, many people like scotch grain but for whatever reason I cannot warm up to it.

It's for the more rustic side of gentlemen's wear. But I like my Crocket & Jones. And I like to keep mine newish and polished. As you can see from the highlights, they can polish up - even the little depressions in the scotch grain can fill in with polish over many coats, and it evens out and allows more shine.

shoes.cj.gif

To tell you the truth, but for the way-broken in hobo look, I think the only ones of my shoes that will get that way are my Red Wings. Must be all that Army training (9 years!), but if it takes a polish, I feel like I gotta keep it polished....

It's for the more rustic side of gentlemen's wear. But I like my Crocket & Jones. And I like to keep mine newish and polished. As you can see from the highlights, they can polish up - even the little depressions in the scotch grain can fill in with polish over many coats, and it evens out and allows more shine.

To tell you the truth, but for the way-broken in hobo look, I think the only ones of my shoes that will get that way are my Red Wings. Must be all that Army training (9 years!), but if it takes a polish, I feel like I gotta keep it polished....

Heheh, I hear you there. I don't feel right having my shoes unpolished either (served back home, mandatory conscription).

Those look much better with the toecaps made of smooth leather. Not bad at all!

Skalogre, your mention of the Stockman buckle boots you’re wearing makes me curious. Have you seen the Tricker’s Chepstow jodhpur?

724jermyn_chepstow.jpg

I haven't seen it, but it reminds me that a good name in shoes is not always the best when it comes to boots. I was at the John Lobb store in NYC. I tried their chelsea model (elastic-sided), called the Harborough. It had one leather loop in the back, in the same place as the Chepstow above. And guess what?? The display model's (size 9) leather loop was broken!! Now, having worn this style boots for over 6 years, I knew that you put tremenous pressure on the loops. This is why R.M. Williams and Blundstone make their loops out of heavy-duty nylon or synthetic twill, ribbed at the edges. *Much* higher tensile strength than leather. RM says that if your arm can take it, then the loop can take it. No nonsense. In my book, RM makes the best fit chelsea boots for my size, as well as the sturdiest. Blunnies are no nonsense either, but they are rubber soled, not as finely fit, and and don't appeal to my retro tastes as much.

If you go to www.johnlobb.com and look for the Harborough now, you'll see they have replaced the leather with a fabric straps, but again, only one, not two. I still don't trust them, and they are too skinny and narrow for me.

Good information, Greg.

I also agree re: Blundstones. While I have not seen any Blunnies in person, I have noticed that at least from photographs their lasts are much less elegant than RMW lasts - especially the Craftsman/Stockman last. The Lobbs probably have better attention to detail (eg no dye from the side of the sole getting underneath like in my picture) but I doubt they would take as much punishment as a kangaroo or calf RMW.

This is the best thread by far. It's also the most potentially damaging financially. I agree with the comment about Alden's partial leather heel. I wish it were entirely leather. And that's not really a negative. All in all, I'm loving my chukka's. AE's Leeds in burgundy (shell, of course) is on my short-list for the spring.

The SC black would probably be the one item that spurs me to purchase premium denim in '07.

Buzz Rickson, the man himself. http://www.mcqueenonline.com/. Constant inspiration.

[quote name=GregNYC;272382...

If you go to www.johnlobb.com and look for the Harborough now' date=' you'll see they have replaced the leather with a fabric straps, but again, only one, not two. I still don't trust them, and they are too skinny and narrow for me.[/quote']

Wow... wish I could afford a pair of JL Brooklands in Museum calf. DROOOL.

I havwe a real penchant for old fashioned/classically inspired boots.

These are boots I am also VERY interested in:

https://host385.ipowerweb.com/~indyprop/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=97&osCsid=e9e9bdcef6efa0a4dcf4b2e288f16857

wow, skalogre, those boots are crazy--and they are in the price range where they are technically within reach... i haven't branched out of the united states yet for fine shoes, and i'm a little scared to. i know there is a lot of damage to be done, as Edge of Denim put it.... :(