Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Paul already has something of a relationship with David at Tricker's (at least, he's known to him now), which might make it easier to arrange an MTO on a boot that's an old model; also there's the profit margin to them, discussed above.

Had a chat with David. Sounds like they don't like treading on retailers' toes (tee hee) so Shoehealer sound like the best option.

That boot is a stock model from some time ago apparently called William. It is a true veldtschoen. I've sent details to Ben, as he knows Richard @ Shoehealer.

Whites boot question.

what are the general thoughts on real life wear with Whites:

Water Buffalo vs. French Calf?

i am doing my next pair in an oxblood color and am leaning towards these..

so anyone have pics of:

-Red Milano Water Buffalo

-Sienna Water Buffalo

thanks...

hey davi, here are some images i managed to find of the red milano water buffalo and the sienna water buffalo. hope they are useful for your next pickup ;)

red milano water buffalo

208046_10150219425695549_198093005548_8794337_3053482_n.jpg

206602_10150219425635549_198093005548_8794335_4271479_n.jpg

sienna water buffalo

23653_420735740548_198093005548_5633134_4131157_n.jpg

23653_420735730548_198093005548_5633133_7226816_n.jpg

23653_420735710548_198093005548_5633131_6201188_n.jpg

denimjunky, when i googled up red milano water buffalo, a link came up from the white's website and listed these:

Picture1-5.png

however upon more research on red milano water buffalo, the colour seems closer to the image i posted earlier on which you thought was screaming red. i also found a shot that you posted quite a while back of your sienna water buffalo here:

dsc_0162.jpg

it seems to me that the uppers in those are neither sienna nor red milano. could it be burgundy french calf?

edit: those are real sweet btw, i can see why you want to ID that leather.

So effed up.

The lighting makes everything look different each time!

No, I dont think its FC. It sure looks like WB.

The kind of gloves look it has. And also it is not at all as even as the FC.

(It has some nice texture to it.)

this is exasperating. it is not sienna for sure because i tried to D.I the photo to something as close as possible to the uppers of the boot you mentioned but it was almost impossible to do so. i would say that it isn't sienna even with the vibrance of the photo reduced. still cant tell what is it though.

my apologies if i have added more confusion to this...

this is exasperating. it is not sienna for sure because i tried to D.I the photo to something as close as possible to the uppers of the boot you mentioned but it was almost impossible to do so. i would say that it isn't sienna even with the vibrance of the photo reduced. still cant tell what is it though.

my apologies if i have added more confusion to this...

This is an interesting case undoubtedly.

Actually, the shop says its sienna....

I doubted it from the beginning, though.

Could it be black cherry WB? (I guess its darker still)

http://emptygarage.jp/SHOP/WHITESSTOCK41.html

Great connies, CTB! I suspect you are seeing the factory wax treatment extruding. I get that a lot, mostly on cordo boots - it looks like a white haze. Take a blowdryer and gently heat, while buffing with a brush or cloth - it should come out.

Further to riff's advice when I asked about how to deal with the residue I found post-polish on country grain, whilst the remedy worked I think it wasn't due to wax extruding, as you might get in a cordovan boot (right?), but due to the polish being applied too 'cold' .

I've since found out that you can avoid this residue build-up on zug/scotch/country grain boots by using warmer water when applying the polish, and really working it into the leather with your fingers to further warm it up.

Seems to sort the problem just as well as using a hairdryer, and it's possibly a little healthier for the leather :D

cool video. why do they only show the hands of the only other guy who cuts the leather?

and why do I never see any allen edmonds on this thread? I only want one pair of theirs... BroadStreet in Brown....

Allen Edmonds slogan should be "by awkward dads for awkward dads".

I mean, the shoes are fine, but they need to hire someone more charismatic than the dude in that video, and fire the guy who chose that music. Luckily the Horween guys are awesome.

So can any Hong Kong locals shed light on the Red Wing situation there? The fact that HK runs pretty rampant with counterfeit goods, coupled with the fact that there are tons of "Red Wings" and similar boots in Shenzhen and dodgier HK markets, makes me wonder how many regular mall stores are stocking official products. Is it pretty safe to shop at the more mainstream stores in malls or do some of these also sell boots that aren't quite authentic?

i just let it hang my trousers or jeans will cover em up so no worries as long as they dont touch ground.. when you do bike you gotta tuck it in or make sure the lace is pretty short

Had a chat with David. Sounds like they don't like treading on retailers' toes (tee hee) so Shoehealer sound like the best option.

That boot is a stock model from some time ago apparently called William. It is a true veldtschoen. I've sent details to Ben, as he knows Richard @ Shoehealer.

Bad news on the boots, folks.

Apparently the 'William' boot was actually a Burford variation made for the Italian market, and the model in Paul's photo was actually a one-off sample (a particularly delicious one, at that!) and no more were ever made.

Furthermore, Tricker's have no intention of making any more veldt models as they're too busy with the models and collaborations that they presently have in production - to paraphrase Paul, why go to all the trouble of making a veldtschoen boot when you can stick a natural welt on a Stow or Grasmere and flog it to the fashionistas on forums and in boutiques...

The only other option would have been to get an MTO Selkirk or Kelso, but Alfred Sargent would have to cut the leather for that distinctive triple 'scalloped' shape especially for us, and this would push the price up to around (or more than) the same as MTO Tricker's.

Personally, I'd have wanted the Tricker's if it was an actual historical model. Getting the design copied as an MTO by another manufacturer doesn't have the same appeal to me...

Back to the drawing board, eh? :D

i just let it hang my trousers or jeans will cover em up so no worries as long as they dont touch ground.. when you do bike you gotta tuck it in or make sure the lace is pretty short

When riding, do you match your jackets to your boots, or mix it up?

about a year of wear on these. i know theyre the same shoes that i always post, but hell, theyre all i got.

DSC_1838.jpg

DSC_1839.jpg

DSC_1840.jpg

DSC_1841.jpg

DSC_1843.jpg

Pretty leather.

DSC_1846.jpg

DSC_1845.jpg

Furthermore, Tricker's have no intention of making any more veldt models as they're too busy with the models and collaborations that they presently have in production - to paraphrase Paul, why go to all the trouble of making a veldtschoen boot when you can stick a natural welt on a Stow or Grasmere and flog it to the fashionistas on forums and in boutiques...

Ah, that's a bummer :(

^ Sounds good!

I've been looking at some trippy custom White's lately, e.g. light-tan upper + dark brown textured vamp, textured black upper/vamp + light brown heel, etc...

Not sure how these colour combos sit with Tricker's folk though.

Something I do want to get from Tricker's this/next year is a pair of suede brogue/u-tip boots in midnight blue or turf green. Possibility of two tone?

Ah, that's a bummer :(

Agreed :(

Something I do want to get from Tricker's this/next year is a pair of suede brogue/u-tip boots in midnight blue or turf green. Possibility of two tone?

Ah, great minds... I'll post pics in a couple of months... ;)