Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

New Aldens came today. LHS penny loafer in cigar shell. Why didn't I get these years ago?!

I'll be posting copious amounts of photo updates on these.

cropped APCs are a casual Friday concept. Only getting one day of love a week =/

IMG00009-20101203-1317.jpg

them's some gorgeous white's. i JUST ordered a pair of brown dress leather semi dress boots from baker's. i used the promo "twitter" and got a $15 discount. can't wait - will post pics when they arrive.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing yours as well. I'm pretty interested in getting the dress leather for my next pair, but that probably won't be happening for a long long time.

so if you had to choose one work boot to wear,

between your whites, wesco or viberg's,

what would it be..?

I think it just depends on aesthetics and comfort. I find Viberg and White's more customizable, but White's arch is too high for me. Each company has a specific model that I would to cop. Damn this recession for making me broke!

Wesco:

Boss / Jobmaster

White's

SD / Dress Packer

Viberg:

Service Boot / Engineer

I'm probably going to be buying myself some Red Wing Beckman boots this weekend and was wondering if I need to protect the leather in any way before I wear them out. It's been snowing a fair bit in the UK recently and I don't want to mess them up straight away.

Cheers.

I just had these made by Dayton. You'll have to call them and ask for the same service boots they made for wings and horns. I went with leather soles but you can get them with a nitrile (vibram like) sole also. They come out to be around $475 when it's all said and done and it took 6 weeks for me to get them.

These are an 8.5 (fit like 9.5). I put them up for sale on styleforum as I could really use the money but I'm second guessing it.

oie23125540pa5dwjky.jpg

holy fuck. these are sweet

Thanks Morse!

^Fuck! I was a bit scared of doing a combo but yours turned out great, hieveryone. Super nice!

Shite, can you'all feel that SD wave?

Btw, hieveryone, where and how much?

Thanks! Yeah I was kinda apprehensive at first--but thankfully it turned out alright, otherwise Id be kicking myself. I ordered it from Baker's, and it ran me roughly $400--everything was standard on it-single celastic toe, single leather midsole, etc.

because there really is not a proper forum to post questions about boots, excuse this please..

Being in NYC, funny enough, it is almost impossible to test fit or pick-up and fell any of these boots in the real.

i am very interested in pursuing a custom rough-out 6 inch boot with one of these companies so,

i would love to hear from the group what they think about comparing these companies boots vs one another,

in craft or any other comments about comparing them to one another please.

i only made parentheses to show my personal intreats in particular models. but fell free to comment away on any.

thank you.

WHITES (smokejumper)

VIBERG (ironworker)

WESCO (jobmaster)

I live in NYC area and had the same issue. At the end of the day, I went with WESCO (Jobmaster 8" in Brown), cause they were most helpful in terms of getting a custom fit. For style options, you might want to lean more towards White's.

If you're just looking for a kick-ass workboot and need a real custom fit - I'd go for WESCO. If you're more interested in style - I think White's will have more options. WESCO & White's will run you about the same $$$ and I hear Viberg will be more expensive.

I live in NYC area and had the same issue. At the end of the day, I went with WESCO (Jobmaster 8" in Brown), cause they were most helpful in terms of getting a custom fit. For style options, you might want to lean more towards White's.

If you're just looking for a kick-ass workboot and need a real custom fit - I'd go for WESCO. If you're more interested in style - I think White's will have more options. WESCO & White's will run you about the same $$$ and I hear Viberg will be more expensive.

thank you very much Mike, (and the others that have commented back.)

great to hear that Wesco is working out for you so far, i understand you have very strict orthopedic needs when sizing and fitting, from what i have read in the forum..

Funny thing, i had to go into two NYC sexy-time BSDM shops yesterday in order to try on Wesco's. :P

It seems to be the only folks that stock Wesco in NYC are really into their "leather" ~ hahahha, all good.

at least i was able to size, and get my hands on how well built Wescos fell on.

i have emailed out all three companies yesterday about doing a custom rough-out 6 inch Smokejumper | Jobmaster | Ironworker.

Bret from Viberg replied the same night about the Ironworker, he is super fast..

personally what I want in a rough-out boot is something i can work/walk/stand in 8-14 hours,

so comfort is key, along with material/craft that is built to to last many years, good for weatherproofing,

and of course classic styling.

i am honestly open to working with either of 3 companies (Whites, Wesco, Viberg), until I have personal conversation with each rep to see what their custom order process and material choice yields.

i will def keep the forum informed of info and my process.

personally what I want in a rough-out boot is something i can work/walk/stand in 8-14 hours, so comfort is key, along with material/craft that is built to to last many years, good for weatherproofing,and of course classic styling.

David, I have a large bias towards White's, I own a couple pairs and can't recommend them highly enough. I like the looks of Viberg, but imo they are simply too expensive for what they are. They are about 30% more expensive, and I'm not sure what you're getting for the extra $. I have held a few pairs of Wesco, and they seem very well made, but I think the styling and looks of White's in general is well beyond what they're doing. And if you're looking for all day comfort, that is really what White's prides themselves on with their Arch-Ease system - I labor outside all day and it has worked wonders for me.

In summary, get the damn White's:).

My gift to you.

WOW~not a bad idea, i wonder if it will take on? SuFu is so weird about multi threads that are close to threads that are classics already,but it would be a great spot for Q&A.. lets try;)

David, I have a large bias towards White's, I own a couple pairs and can't recommend them highly enough. I like the looks of Viberg, but imo they are simply too expensive for what they are. They are about 30% more expensive, and I'm not sure what you're getting for the extra $. I have held a few pairs of Wesco, and they seem very well made, but I think the styling and looks of White's in general is well beyond what they're doing. And if you're looking for all day comfort, that is really what White's prides themselves on with their Arch-Ease system - I labor outside all day and it has worked wonders for me.

In summary, get the damn White's:).

morse9443

so good to hear this from you... thank you...

yes, i have been talking with Riff as well about Whites, and a pair of Rough out he owns that I am a real fan of.

i am pretty convinced now leaning on a 6 inch smokejumper in rough out.

i guess my real concern is going to be doing a custom order with Whites. how are they in terms of materials? do they have access to Horween leathers, or Horsehide's?

Yes, weird at first, but the Arch-Ease system is a reality now, being i tried on a pair of nice SD's yesterday at Graham Fowler, being they are the only White's available in NYC retail shop..

and sized into my normal 8D that worked great,

is the smokejumper a similar last? i am assuming so..

what is the average turnaround time for doing a custom order with Whites?

thank you all again.

my best

:)

Does Graham Fowler have a decent amount of stock to try on?

Mike,

how are you, hope you are good.

they have 3 different models of Whites SD's

dont quote me,

but this is what i remember..

a red water buffalo block heel, double midsole ( i tried)

black cuban heel, single midsole

black block heel, single midsole

they also have a nice selection of trickers in stock

A quick question to the brit boys - is there a UK equivalent to obenaufs, etc? My Tricker's are looking dry, and I'd like to get my William Lennons prepared for the winter soon as they arrive.

Truckers Are so dry.. Really ddry.. I use heaps of different oils and a coat of Vasline to seal it off

David, I thought you were looking for a roughout, which would take a horween or horsehide out of the picture anyway.

Also, the Smokejumper is a VERY heavy WORK boot. I'm not sure what you're doing for work, but if you're simply "on your feet" all day, then I would be more inclined to recommend the semidress for your needs. Similar to the quality and durability of the SJ, but a lighter utility boot for sure.

As far as sizing and customization, go through bakershoe.com. Send in your measurements for the right fit, and there's almost no feature you can't customize.

Been a while since I've posted but I thought I'd share the results of some leather dressing and polish on my indy's. Wasn't the biggest fan of the original color so I took some dark polish to them and i much prefer the new color.

b4339db3.jpg

4c102647.jpg

When I took out the original laces they were pretty torn up. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. Now I'm on the lookout for some flat waxed laces like on my Roy boots. Anyone know where I can find them?