Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Today on the Sartorialist, good boots.

Think they're vintage?

Hi,

Yes, that's me. The boots are from the 30's or 40's. Horsehide leather, cork soles, Light Tread heels like those found on WWII Army service shoes. One of my favorite pairs.

Best regards,

-Josh.

I might try a Saphir for the shades of brown. But I've been sticking with Kiwi for many years, no prob with dryness. It's a kind of nostalgic thing with me, related to about a decade in the military. I actually like Kiwi's harsh and synthetic odor. It reminds of me of the smells I associate fondly with the military, freshly cut grass on drill fields, diesel exhaust fumes, Zippo lighter fluid, howitzer gunpowder, Brasso, and floor wax. Kiwi goes right along with these!

I use a mostly milk-chocolate coulour cream and sometimes a dark tan wax on my indies.

It isnt until fairly recent Kiwi started adding alcohol and preservaties in their waxes, i guess it doesnt do much harm atleast not on short-term period but why risk adding something to your shoes that eventually will dry them out when they cost 300-500 usd. In Stockholm most high end cobblers stopped selling kiwi.

The smell of Saphir is very strong altough very different from kiwi.

It isnt until fairly recent Kiwi started adding alcohol and preservaties in their waxes, i guess it doesnt do much harm atleast not on short-term period but why risk adding something to your shoes that eventually will dry them out when they cost 300-500 usd. In Stockholm most high end cobblers stopped selling kiwi.

I've been using Kiwi for over 35 years and know what to expect with it. High-end cobblers in New York still stock ot and their polishing staff still use it hundreds of times every day, along with Meltonian. Of course if I see a change in its effects, I would I'll certainly stop and switch to something else!

Hi,

Yes, that's me. The boots are from the 30's or 40's. Horsehide leather, cork soles, Light Tread heels like those found on WWII Army service shoes. One of my favorite pairs.

Best regards,

-Josh.

Josh, those boots are fucking boss, I'm telling you. Where did you find them?

Alden indies?

What do I win? A pair?

I didn't see the Indy boot there so much. Well, a litttle I suppose. I see a little Frye there, specifically their Arkansas boot, and some Red Wing maybe. But the fact that it's shell, damn. That boot is present in alot of what gets thrown up on this thread.

as the demon requested, here's moar indy pics

the color is true, even though they're in direct sunlight.

indies002copyub3.jpg

indies003copyjn7.jpg

indies005copypg5.jpg

indies007copyhx4.jpg

indies006copyoi9.jpg

that's what i meant by my sole wearing down...from my lazy steps. that will change though!

i want waxed laces...do i just rub the laces against a candle?

BrokeDJ - first pair of new good leather shoes, congrats, nice! I like AE's classic-designed shoes. The Leeds are among my all-time favorites.

flex0r - some of the best waxed laces come on the Red Wing GTs. You can get them from What Price Glory (http://www.whatpriceglory.com/usboot.htm) but they might be too broad at the tip for Indies - mine were. I've never found where Red Wings gets theirs made, but they're really good.

Or you can get something like these from B. Nelson. See my photo (low-budg-version waxed ones on top), it's a lower-quality version, but B. Nelson's are the same diameter - just smoother and more waxy and much more durable. They are the only kind of lace I use on my Indies. They hold in place much much better than Alden's stock cotton laces. You buy them by the inch. Anyone who needs these can let me know.

new.year.laces.gif

these 2 paris of Red Wing just arrived my place .

1911 and 1914 are real nice ,

they are way better than red wing 8166 in my opinion .

i love them so much .

thanks jpgm and GregNYC for answering my sizing questions .

i thought it could be a little contribution if i tell my sizing issue .

I normally wear :

US Size 9.5 D in Red Wing 8166 and 0931 (which is pretty "fit" if wearing a pair of thin socks, and not much room inside.)

US Size 10 in Clarks

US Size 11 in most Nike/ Adidas/ Vans sneakers

US Size 10 in Converse

for those 1911s and 1914s ,

i ordered 9D and 9.5D as the shop didn't stock full size run .

i found 9D is similar to 9.5D in Red Wing 8166 ,

and it fits me perfectly .

and 9.5D is slightly bigger than i would like ,

so i inserted an insole ,

and now the 9.5D fits me like the 9D does .

Detailsof19111914-05.jpg

Detailsof19111914-03.jpg

Detailsof19111914-04.jpgDetailsof19111914-10.jpg

Detailsof19111914-11.jpg

and GregNYC ,

i am just wondering should i go for 9.5E for the Indy ??

thanks ,

Buga .

update on my brown semidress and introduction of my newly acquired black/brown semidress:

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

thought it might be cool to do a little comparison. thanks again, rawhide. :)

Chicken

with the picture compare like that, i really do think the single leather sole looks better than the double leather sole. Are those D width? By the way, those are very very nice:) It is really interesting to see how much flatter the front is compare to the new one when it has been broken in for a while. So does the front actually stretch wider?

the brown pair is 8D and the two-tone pair is 8E. maybe that's partly why the 8E look slimmer at the toe. i don't think the front stretched much at all. here's how they looked in the beginning:

IMG_0587.jpg

still not sure what i'm going to do with the new pair. perhaps i should just wear them the way they are and compare how they are with single leather soles.

I think 9.5 is good, but you could go for D too, since the Gentleman Travelers are equivalent to D width...

is there a big different between 9 and 9.5 in Indy ?

and

is there a big different between D and E in Indy ?

since the indy is in Trubalance Last ,

which means it is half size bigger than normal .

and in this case ,

9D of 1911s are the best to me (1911s are like half size bigger than other Red Wing shoes) ,

so should i go for 9 in indy (it is similar to 9.5 in general) .

thanks .

since the indy is in Trubalance Last ,

which means it is half size bigger than normal .

and in this case ,

9D of 1911s are the best to me (1911s are like half size bigger than other Red Wing shoes) ,

so should i go for 9 in indy (it is similar to 9.5 in general) .

thanks .

The Trubalance last gives you more width, not more length. The 1911s are longer than other Red Wings, but available only in one width, which is about D. So if you actually fit 9Ds in 1911s, then go for 9D in Indies. As always, you can't be sure till you actually try them on. So buy them from a vendor who has a good return policy, and wear them on carpet till you know for sure how they fit.

The Trubalance last gives you more width, not more length. The 1911s are longer than other Red Wings, but available only in one width, which is about D. So if you actually fit 9Ds in 1911s, then go for 9D in Indies. As always, you can't be sure till you actually try them on. So buy them from a vendor who has a good return policy, and wear them on carpet till you know for sure how they fit.

i am a bit confuesd ,

sorry for asking so many questions about the sizing .

and thanks y'all for answering me .

i concern more about the length than width as my foot are pretty thin .

1.as trubalance gives more width , not length .

2.and 9 in RW 1911s are like 9.5 with D width . (i feel good with the Length of it)

3.which means the length of 9.5 (in general) is good for me .

so i think i will go for 9.5 .

go for the same size as your 9d 1911 we have the same size andf i have a 1911 rw too

and Demonito ,

how do you find the difference between 1911 and Indy when they are both in 9 ?

as i found from searching ,

9 in 1911s is about 9.5 ,

and 9 in Indies is right about 9 .

do you find the Indies in 9 is tighter/ shorter than the 9 in RE 1911s ?

thanks .