Pure Blue Japan

midnight

Bit of a longshot, but anyone recommend a cut in PBJs similar to Kapital Ciscos? Possibly more tapered below the knee? Really love how PBJs fade.

XX 015 ?

I read that denimio is having a denim contest with the XX012 specially made with a green leaf on the back pocket. Starting next September and for a year. Sounds pretty good plus their service is always great, might be jumping in althought I'd love to get the new 710 16oz... Choices choices... :)

^ they just emailed me about that...

Typical, I'm already a month in to a pair of 12's... I wonder if I can convince them to do it with 9's too?! Ha. Some hope. Bollocks.

If they get over 200 people the prize is a trip to the pbj factory in Okayama.

I swear, for that prize I will not remove the things for the whole year!

^ they just emailed me about that...

Typical, I'm already a month in to a pair of 12's... I wonder if I can convince them to do it with 9's too?! Ha. Some hope. Bollocks.

If they get over 200 people the prize is a trip to the pbj factory in Okayama.

I swear, for that prize I will not remove the things for the whole year!

I've been itching to join a denim competition to show off what my chicken legs are capable of....what are the details and how do I sign on? 

Quote from the denimio email :

"Send an email to [email protected] and specify your size to preorder your contest jeans by June 15th. Your jeans will have a unique signature: the indigo leaf stitching will be green. Of course, the patch will be tanned gorgeously."

^ yeah, what he said :-).

Sod it, I might just double up. 23000 jpy is only 130 odd quid., which isn't too tragic. They are nice enough to have 2 of and it will be good to keep a pair 'semi smart'.

Come on BigSugar - I'll put my chicken legs in the running against yours... Ha ha ha!

Thank you for your email.

Ok, we will reserve a pair of XX-012 Contest Limited Edition, size 29, Raw for you.

You just need to pay right before we ship them to you which is scheduled to be sometimes in September.

And sorry about the lack of details. 

The contest is about "Holding the first PBJ fade contest and watching everyone's favorite PBJ pair age together :)"

It works by getting the jeans. Then the contest period starts at the end of September.  

You post photos during on the site we specially prepare to show progress, and then at the end of the period, 

the contestants pairs are judged to determine the winner (one of them is the founder of PBJ)!

You just have to buy the special contest jeans, post updates and get judged at the end of the period! 

If you are the winner, you will get $300 Denimio gift card. Plus, if we can boost this even up and gather more than 200 contestants, 

PBJ and Denimio will invite the winner to Okayama, Japan where PBJ's factory is located.

We will update you as we prepare the special site, etc.

Kind regards,

Mahoto

Denimo.com

Well, there it is. Signed up for my first comp. Bring it on people - i'm heading for Okayama!

If I'm doing my math right, the price with free shipping to the US would be only $225? Am I missing something or is this a good deal regardless of the contest? Anyway, I emailed them and can't wait to start another pair of slubs =)

So tempting .... Plus if we can pay in September it's all good....

Screw it I'm emailing them

Think I might do the same, not sure if I can make the cut work for me or not, but might have the opportunity to try them on before September so might as well.

Think I might do the same, not sure if I can make the cut work for me or not, but might have the opportunity to try them on before September so might as well.

Definitely do this if you can mate, i'm pretty sure it's a Marmite cut for most. I'm firmly in the 'love it' camp. For both.

When I tried on a pair in 29 they felt fine in the waist, ok in the top block, slim in the thighs and REALLY slim knee down. When I tried on a pair in 30, the waist and top block were not good - really loose - and it hadn't made a huge amount of difference anywhere else although there was a bit more room to maneuver... This obviously made them look odd as the slimness was still holding the jeans up so they gaped out around the crotch & waist.

Oddly though, this seems to be peculiar to the slimmer sizes - any fit pics ive seen from about 32 up do not seem to have this, whereas a few of the 30 and under do. Not sure if that's down to a (western?) slim dudes body shape or a difference in the cut/pattern for the sizes.

I did understand that a lot of my initial concerns were due to a lack of familiarity with the cut. With this in mind, decided to make the 29s work and am now really happy with them after a bit of stretch (although they have only had a warm soak, I expect to be screwed if these see a washing machine) and now he shape and cut has relaxed into my form. If I'm honest though I would have taken them if they were shaped like oxford bags - the denim is THAT nice.

Looking forward to having the competition pair and will probably get a pair of the straight 009's too for a more comfortable mooch around in jean. Cant get enough of this fabric....

I'm also tempted like Blackpig with the 20's but they are the same cut as the 12's and I dont need that much of one cut in my life!

^ yeah, what he said :-).

Sod it, I might just double up. 23000 jpy is only 130 odd quid., which isn't too tragic. They are nice enough to have 2 of and it will be good to keep a pair 'semi smart'.

Come on BigSugar - I'll put my chicken legs in the running against yours... Ha ha ha!

I've never gotten any calf fades, but hell if dont tear through the knees quicker than anyone on this planet...

If the judges value the ability to rip out the knees from razor blade kneecaps then I'm totally gunna win this thing....

Not really worried about the slim cut, but the fact my ass will hang out if I go tts on these. Might size up, and do the cold soak method. Preferable back rise is 15.5, lowest I'd like to go is 15, so the 14.75 pre soak is going to be pushing it. But I have lots of time to decide.

Rosarkar: I have no experience with the bsp but all of the measurements for a 29" are very similar to my 29" 12's post soak. The PBJ's are maybe 0.5cm thinner at the thigh and 0.5cm larger at the hem. I don't see the need to size up one unless your bsp's are on the slim side for you.

Mistral from what I can tell they are almost identical (give or take a cm) until you get to the knee and the taper kicks in on the 12's. Both the knee and the hem are a good 2-3 cms smaller. Be interested to hear from some one with actual hands on experience though as I have been wondering the same thing, hence the research!

Edit: meant to say taper from thigh to knee - note to self careful with updates whilst tanning the bevvy on a Saturday night...

Edited by Artisandenim

I'm conflicted on the sizing of the XX-013JP (or XX-011, since they're the same cut).

I tried on the 013JP in a 31. Great fit, a tiny bit loose below the knee but figured it would be perfect after a soak. Thighs were good, but snug enough that I couldn't afford them to be any tighter.

I'm just concerned the thighs will be too tight if I do a soak, but I've heard people say that the jeans will stretch back to pre-soak measurements anyway. Should I stick with this size and just do quick cold soaks, or size up 1?

Thanks for posting the contest.  I'm sure everyone who reads this thread is aware, but to state the obvious the 007/012 fabric is amazing.  (A bit sad I won't take part in the contest, but I'm having trouble convincing myself to own 2 pairs of the same denim in different cuts).

@Artisandenim "i'm pretty sure it's a Marmite cut for most" - help me English .. this means good?  or bad? strongly divided?

@ poofoot - ha ha ha! Sorry mate, it's a very English expression.

Marmite is a yeast extract (a by product of real beer - another favourite English pastime) used as a food spread/paste/in sauces etc. it has a very unique and powerful taste that you either love or hate. There is no in between.

Hence I used the term 'marmite cut' for something low rise, very slim with a strong taper. You're either going to love it or hate it :-)

Ah, fair enough Brad. If it's any help mine went from 14" raw to 13.5 after a warm/hot soak and are now back to 14.

BIgSugar what size are you going with?

Well puberty really screwed up my jeans purchases for about the last 15 years. For many years I kept thinking I was going to keep growing, or get fatter or something, and bought jeans in the 30-31 sizes. Which was fine, Hello Belt! I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm a tight 28 or comfortable/natural 29 (after stretching).

This is the first foray into PBJ and from what I gather, the denim stretches quite easily. So perhaps a 28? I've also become a fan of the hot soak while wearing the jeans, to yoga session while wet, to nap in the sun till dry method. Fit is golden no matter what!

Any suggestions? 28 or 29?

Hog, those look really chilled and faded in a washed out kinda way - most surfer appropriate...

BigSugar, I found the 12's quite difficult to stretch anywhere other than the waist, which pinged out beyond raw almost immediately (don't know why, they are not overly tight so I don't think i'm putting that much pressure on them). My natural waist hovers around 30, here are some measurements from a tag 29.

Raw             Soak          3 weeks

Waist                                  30                 29               31          

Front rise                            10                 9.5              9.5

Rear Rise                           14                 13.5            14 

Thigh                                  11                 10.8            11.1

Knee                                   7.2                7.2              7.2 

Hem                                     7                    7                 7

Inseam                                 34                 33               34

I was surprised the inseam stretched back out without any deliberate encouragement but I suppose it's from where they are close fitting, there is tension on the legs vertically too. They have been taken on a couple of fairly long bike rides and worn for at least an hour two every day. Mind you sounds like your initial break in regime is 'holistically intense' so your results could be considerably different!

Yep, I'm into giving the 003's a go too - they didn't have my size when I was at rivet and hide last month. I'm also well into the idea of the 009's which are the 003's in the double indigo. Wonder if I can convince Danny to get some?!

Just a slave to slub, me ;-)

Yep, I'm into giving the 003's a go too - they didn't have my size when I was at rivet and hide last month. I'm also well into the idea of the 009's which are the 003's in the double indigo. Wonder if I can convince Danny to get some?!

Just a slave to slub, me ;-)

We'll restock the X003 with the next production run, and also taking the 007. No plans yet for the X009.

We just got the brand new X015 in.