Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

some guy calls me at work. i hear him talking to some girl on the side. i say hello? like an idiot for like 10 seconds and hang up. he calls back. say hello for a while again, no response just wind noise so i guess he's on a cell outdoors. i hang up. he calls back.

when the dial tone stops, that means you are connected. if you are calling a land line and don't hear anything, chances are your cell phone is probably messed up so stop calling?

he leaves me voice mail.

"you have 1 new message. press 1 to hear new message."

(presses 1)

"first new message. this message is four minutes long"

and i listen to the first 10 seconds and it's just straight wind noise what kind of fuckign retard leaves a 4 minute voice mail???

Language

A characteristic of the Smurf language is the frequent use of the word "smurf" and its derivatives in a variety of meanings. The Smurfs replace enough nouns and verbs in everyday speech with "smurf" as to make their conversations barely understandable: "We're going smurfing on the River Smurf today."

When used as a verb, the word "Smurf" typically means "to make," "to be," "to laugh," or "to do." When a word is replaced in a statement, that same replacement is made in every repetition of it, even by other Smurfs: as an example, the statement "A dragon that breathes fire" becomes "A smurf that smurfs smurf", no matter which Smurf says it.

It was implied a number of times that Smurfs still understand each other due to subtle variations in intonation. Humans have found that replacing ordinary words with the term "smurf" at random is not enough: in one adventure, Peewit explains to some other humans that the statement "I'm smurfing to the smurf" means "I'm going to the wood," but a Smurf corrects him by saying that the proper statement would be "I'm smurfing to the smurf"; whereas what Peewit said was "I'm warbling to the dawn." So "I'm smurfing to the smurf" is not the same as "I'm smurfing to the smurf."[7] This is somewhat contradicted in The Smurfs and the Magic Flute when Peewit brags that he has mastered the Smurf language and "proves" it by asking for a drink of water ("Dear Smurf, I want a smurf"), leading to a musical number in which each of the Smurfs interprets "smurf" differently.

So that the viewer of the animated series is able to understand the Smurfs, only some words (or a portion of the word) are replaced with the word "smurf." Context offers a reliable understanding of this speech pattern, but common vocabulary includes remarking that something is "just smurfy" or "smurftastic."

In Schtroumpf vert et vert Schtroumpf (see Smurf Versus Smurf), published in Belgium in 1972, it was revealed that the village was divided between North and South, and that the Smurfs on either side had different ideas as to how the term "smurf" should be used: for instance, the Northern Smurfs called a certain object a "bottle smurfer," while the Southern Smurfs called it a "smurf opener." This story is considered a parody on the still ongoing taalstrijd (language war) between French- and Dutch-speaking communities in Belgium.[8]

Martin's potato rolls are by far the best hamburger buns. By far.

I hadn't even thought about it until I was at a cookout this weekend and had to eat my burger on an inferior bun. Disappointing. Then I picked up Whit Stillman's The Last Days of Disco with Cocktails at Petrossian Afterwards (really like his films, but unsure there is really a point to a book form) and within the first 10 pages there is a Martin's shout out. I knew it was a sign I needed to proselytize this truth.

godammit can't find my lunesta I could have sworn I had two in a ziplock somewhere...I have been going to bed naturally around 4 and waking up like noon or 1. I have a midterm Friday and I need to get up at 8:30, and then I have to be up at 9 the next day to move out of my apartment. I was just going to pop one each night around 11:30 and be good to go. Looks like I'll be a zombie for the next two days :(

also forgot my running shoes at my house.

have any du's here ever got waxed? i ask because although i can deal with my robin williams level of chest hair, my back hair (although not as bad) really has to go. no/yes homo.

It's not a big deal. My girl takes care of my back hair. We've done the wax but to be honest, I can't stand the way it makes my skin feel afterward.