Options for Buying Japanese Denim

Alright, so my order went through and I confirmed all the details with them through e-mail. Then I asked 2nd to hem the Samurai's to 34 inches. They replied with this:

いつもお世話になっております。2ND(セカンド)の井瀬です。 ご返信ありがとうございます!! 了解いたしました!! 最初の状態で34インチに裾上げして出荷をさせて頂きます。 それでは作業が終了次第、発送させていただきます。 あとは御到着の方をお楽しみにお待ち下さい。 それではこれからもできる限りの努力をさせて頂きますので これからも2ND(セカンド)をよろしくお願いします。 失礼します。

Do I need to reply back to them? I put it through google translator but I just wanna make sure. Trying to comprehend these translations is really amusing, haha.

Anyone have any customs problems ordering from the US? Holding packages, having to pay extra taxes, etc...?

I just placed an order with 2nd for a pair of Samurai S510xx II 19oz. and a Flat Head shirt. This is my first time ordering direct from Rakuten. *crosses fingers*

How did you go about ordering from 2nd? Did you just email them? Google translator quit working for me when I reached the checkout page.

I think it said on the site that it will not lie or change prices and other stuff like that for customs. However, that's on the website so they don't get in trouble, i'm sure if you emailed or requested it along with your purchase they might.

Still wondering if anyone in the US has had any problems with customs such as having the item held or getting some kind of charge. I want to order some cargo pants in the near future and was wondering if this would be my best bet or if i should use a bid service where the person could mark it as a under $50 gift. It would cost a bit more this way, which is why i'm asking.

Still wondering if anyone in the US has had any problems with customs such as having the item held or getting some kind of charge. I want to order some cargo pants in the near future and was wondering if this would be my best bet or if i should use a bid service where the person could mark it as a under $50 gift. It would cost a bit more this way, which is why i'm asking.

I lived in the Us for a bit and sent lots of my stuff home to the UK by Airmail and shipping, I didnt have any problems at all, they were all marked as value under $50 and as clothing or gifts. I have heard of some people having to pay the extra 9.5% VAT through customs though as they only pay about 8% in the US *** I think!

Hell yeah!!! I placed an order with 2nd for a pair of Samurai S510XX II 19oz. and Flat Head houndstooth shirt four days ago and it just came in today. Chainstitched to 34", red tab and backpocket stitching still intact, no import taxes, and no customs fees. Thanks to Denim Phenom for the help!

DSC00145.jpg

I give up. I just want a pair of jeans, not plutonium. I just can't believe it is worth the hassle. I have spent a week reading every post. The only one with kinda easy to follow instructions is super rag and they dont sell the samauri s510xxII

Begging for help!!

Why don't you just support Blue in Green and buy from them?

I give up. I just want a pair of jeans, not plutonium. I just can't believe it is worth the hassle. I have spent a week reading every post. The only one with kinda easy to follow instructions is super rag and they dont sell the samauri s510xxII

Begging for help!!

buy straight from samurai

I emailed that address three times over the last two weeks, no reply. Not to worry, my buddy is moving there to work for NKK in a month. I am gonna get him to set up as a retailer and then we can just get him to get them for us at cost, and deal with us in english only!

Sound good?

PS I finally figured it out and need to decide if I size down (based on the samauri chart specs) and control shrink/stretch them or be safe and get them at my size and use the dryer if they are too big?

I realize I'm a noob here but...

Doesn't it seem like it would be better in the long run to exercise some patience, and work with the US retailers who are stocking these brands? From my (albeit limited) experience, it seems like Kiya and others are pretty on top of things as far as covering all the sought-after brands and models.

I mean, I realize there is some joy in getting a package from another country. I've got a box of yo-yos coming from Singapore, but only because it's the only country in the world selling the model I want.

I dunno. I could be totally off base here. But I personally do as much as possible to support my friendly local retailer of any product I want.

S

The main reason why I ordered my Samurais from Japan instead of Self Edge or BiG is because the remaining stock still has the red tabs and arcuate intact. Self Edge and BiG were forced to modify their remaining stock due to the Levi's lawsuit and all denim coming to the U.S. from here on out will have no red tabs and different backpocket stitching. The red tabs are not that important but jeans without backpocket stitching is really dull. And yes some companies have changed their stitching but to me it just isn't the same.

I realize I'm a noob here but...

Doesn't it seem like it would be better in the long run to exercise some patience, and work with the US retailers who are stocking these brands? From my (albeit limited) experience, it seems like Kiya and others are pretty on top of things as far as covering all the sought-after brands and models.

I mean, I realize there is some joy in getting a package from another country. I've got a box of yo-yos coming from Singapore, but only because it's the only country in the world selling the model I want.

I dunno. I could be totally off base here. But I personally do as much as possible to support my friendly local retailer of any product I want.

S

What's the problem? You do what you want, let everyone else do the same. Why do you need come here with your pointers and tell people what to do?

We're obviously all adults(we have credit cards) here, I'm sure I am as fit to make a decision about where and what I buy as you are.

Your argument is also completely wrong since SE and BIG don't sell the same product as the Japanese stores.

What's the problem? You do what you want, let everyone else do the same. Why do you need come here with your pointers and tell people what to do?

We're obviously all adults(we have credit cards) here, I'm sure I am as fit to make a decision about where and what I buy as you are.

Your argument is also completely wrong since SE and BIG don't sell the same product as the Japanese stores.

Totally agree.

I buy from Japanese stores because I don't want to pay more for an item that isn't going to have the tab and arcuate on it. Yes, yes, I realize that stock is going to dry up soon, but right now, it's still there.

When American stores charge the same as Rakuten stores, then maybe i'll switch.

I've said this many times before.

I mean seriously, why should I pay $295 for a pair of SC41966As from SE when I got them for $160 shipped from Earth Market?

placed my first order on rakuten through rebirth...hope everything will be good. i'm a little weirded out because they did not calculate shipping costs to the united states when i placed the order..

they do that after the fact.

I buy from Japanese stores because I don't want to pay more for an item that isn't going to have the tab and arcuate on it. Yes, yes, I realize that stock is going to dry up soon, but right now, it's still there.

When American stores charge the same as Rakuten stores, then maybe i'll switch.

I've said this many times before.

I mean seriously, why should I pay $295 for a pair of SC41966As from SE when I got them for $160 shipped from Earth Market?

these are my thoughts exactly.

and the reason why ive been wasting so much time with the google translator and making my friends hate me with all of the help im forcing out of them lately.

Sugarcane is an exception because there is an incredibly high markup stateside. Samurai, PBJ, Oni, and others are a lot closer to what you'd pay from rakuten + shipping.

Either way, buy wherever you want :P For some people, a better price is outweighs the benefits that go with buying locally.