Options for Buying Japanese Denim

i know this thred is near dead, but just found this on stylforum.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=82298

its about rakuten and their stylforum affiliate and there is a rakuten representativ in this thread too.

but i havent read all of the thread yet, so.....

maybe we should try that here on sufu too, or did i miss something ?

• 4 months later...

Tenjin Works Leather

http://www.tenjinworks.com/

Came across this brand in Lightning Mag Nov/2008 issue. I send an email and inquired about international shipping. I got a reply the next day from Mr. Hideto Tagaki of Tenjin Works. He does not speak English but was friendly and willing to communicate through online translator. I ordered a mid-length wallet setup and a belt (http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=1844580#post1844580) three months ago and just received the package from him a few days ago. Mr. Takagi included some wax and a key fob for free and a hand written note thanking me for the purchase. Anyways, I am quite impress with his leather products. Mr. Takagi accepts PayPal and ships international.

• 3 months later...

Hello all SuFu members

Please fell free to contact Us who want buy denim from Japan

We usually proxy for denim from

(rakuten shop )

2nd

D-Stock

Americaya

All Japanese website....

We have a voucher 500 yen OFF to first customer.

Please tell the voucher code "DENIM MANIA" when you make an order to us

P.S : Please go to our thread (proxy details) in follow sign :)

--------------------------------------------------

Best regards

SuToCorp

http://www.SuToCorp.com/buyingservice/

Buying Service dept

[email protected]

• 1 year later...

Yup, old thread.

Is anyone familiar with Japanese repro brands' pricing in Japan, Taiwan, China, Korea, Hong Kong? I assume that Japan would be the cheapest/ best selection. DO any of the countries that I have come anywhere close in terms of price selection, or is Japan far and away the best?

Also, in terms of sales, I know that BiG and Selfedge have either very infrequent or no sales on their quality jeans. Is this the case in East Asian countries?

Lastly, how does that Take5 discount work?

Thanks SUFU

Most of the pricing you will find is pretty much standard RRP worldwide - you will probably be able to shave a couple of dollars off through exchange rates but not much.

Regarding the pricing - you will find that the margins are pretty small and in order to stay competitive most places offer free worldwide shipping and match their competitors' prices. Some suppliers also have rules regarding pricing which may be the reason why you dont see many sales in the online stores.

Not sure about the Take 5 discount though - maybe someone else can answer that for you.

Most of the pricing you will find is pretty much standard RRP worldwide - you will probably be able to shave a couple of dollars off through exchange rates but not much.

Regarding the pricing - you will find that the margins are pretty small and in order to stay competitive most places offer free worldwide shipping and match their competitors' prices. Some suppliers also have rules regarding pricing which may be the reason why you dont see many sales in the online stores.

Not sure about the Take 5 discount though - maybe someone else can answer that for you.

What are some places that offer free worldwide shipping, other than Self Edge?

Yup, old thread.

Is anyone familiar with Japanese repro brands' pricing in Japan, Taiwan, China, Korea, Hong Kong? I assume that Japan would be the cheapest/ best selection. DO any of the countries that I have come anywhere close in terms of price selection, or is Japan far and away the best?

Also, in terms of sales, I know that BiG and Selfedge have either very infrequent or no sales on their quality jeans. Is this the case in East Asian countries?

Thanks SUFU

In Taipei, faith and Take5 (after discount) come pretty close to Japanese retail.

Selection at faith is on the smaller side, but Kurt is so knowledgeable and passionate when it comes to things denim/leather/vintage, and he does a mean chain-stitch.

The dudes at Take5 refused to give me membership discount when I went there, saying I must have purchased more than xx amount, otherwise they only give first time discounts to people who are truly interested in denim :(

Yup, old thread.

Thanks SUFU

If I remember correctly, for Take5 (at least in Taiwan), you have to buy NT12,000 worth of goods before they give you a Membership card. The membership card entitles you to 20% off regularly priced merchandise and 10% off sale merchandise. At 20% off, prices are about the same as Japanese retail. The membership card is good for 1 full year and then you have to renew it on a yearly basis after that at some nominal amount, NT 100/year or so. I assume it works the same for Take5 in its other markets at whatever the comparable local currency is.

I recently visited The Denim Store (SG), Take 5 (Shanghai), and Take 5 (HK). Take 5 HK easily had the most stock. The prices (after membership) were pretty damn close to Japanese retail at the current exchange, like maybe 10% higher?

At the HK store you have to spend HK$3000 (~AU$375) to become a member, at which point all goods in the store are reduced by 20%. Staff at T5HK are super friendly, too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...