What is the appeal of denim contests?

blackmaged

For all the denim fanatics out there, why do you partake in denim contests?

Surely it can't be about the money, right? :confused: BiG's Eternal 811 contest, for example, is $500 for 1st place, but when you really think about it $500 for ~2 years of "work" (depending on how you see it) is not that lucrative. PLUS you're dropping $2xx-300x just to buy the contest jeans alone + $$$ for repairs and whatnot, so your net profit really isn't that much in the end...

If it's for the fame/reputation, can't we achieve the same ends through the Evo thread?

The only real "perk" I can see is that the contest jeans is a one-time-only kind of deal... but it's not like there's no such thing as an "anniversary edition" or something.

I'm not trying to give contests a bad name; in fact, I'd love to join one when I have enough experience with raw denim). I'm just genuinely curious as to what's motivating you guys.

Just look at the # of dropouts for every contest except the first one and it becomes painfully obvious most people are doing it to chase the jawnzdragon.

If only we could channel that jonesing into people trying out rare/lesser known brands we'd be getting somewhere.

I've never participated, but I really do enjoy seeing how uniquely people beat on their jeans. Some people can wear their pair for 2 years and have the same amount of wear as someone who wore them for a couple months. Different things kept in pockets, different style fits, all of that makes for a unique look at how one pair of jeans can differ from person to person. One jean can offer a vintage style fade at the end, or something completely unrealistic looking ala Samurai and APC. It's just an interesting process to watch.

I dont know what a 'hypebeast' is, or a 'jawns dragon' for that matter, but I am entering my first (and only) contest next year (RoyxCone).

What motivates me is the fact that my jeans are being made by one man, on old sewing machines, by hand, from start to finish (just like Jacob Davis did) using a very special Cone denim which emulates the denim used on 1920's Levi's.

Btw, I am a vintage Levi's nut, and have been since 1985.

These jeans have all the elements I like about my association with the fabric, plus I was invited to take part by a good friend who also is a levi's nut.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about 'winning', but have already enjoyed the social aspect of it and enjoy a bit of banter.

Regardless of the rules, I will wear the fucking things 'till they fall apart !

And yes, I cant help but breifly gloat in the elitism of it all.

Hope this helps?

:D

A contest is really just a pretext for a bunch of people to wear the same jeans at the same time IMO. It makes it more of a social experience.
A contest is really just a pretext for a bunch of hypebeasts to buy another pair of super limited edition jawnz IMO. It makes it more of a consumer experience.

Internet consumerist friends FTW.

To be honest, I think the appeal of such contests is fading...

Too true, a bit over done these couple of years.

Roy x Cone will save us all!!!!

Just look at the # of dropouts for every contest except the first one and it becomes painfully obvious most people are doing it to chase the jawnzdragon.

If only we could channel that jonesing into people trying out rare/lesser known brands we'd be getting somewhere.

What he said.

On behalf of the ROYXCone organizing committee, the intent of this contest was to celebrate ROY (a one man wrecking ball) and also to re-introduce Cone as one of the best (arguably THE best) denim mill in the world. It seemed like a lot of folks were jumping on the Japanese bandwagon and completely forgetting that nice denim IS made here in the states as well.

Also, I think ROY wanted to give back to SUFU for our support of him and kind of launching some of his success. Obviously his success is due 99% to his skills, but sufu was able to add a little bit of grassroots marketing.

I should say that when roy6 and rnr, and then almostnice mentioned the comp to me, roy had sold not that many jeans. Nearly all his early business came from SuFu. That's one of the cool things about this forum. Some of it, unsurprisingly, is marketing spiel, but there's been some great stuff - ooe, burgus for budget freaks, even terry dear's belts - that's picked up a clientele thanks to the people on this board.

I think denim contest can be compared to skiing under the lift line

haha I usually ride as far as I can from the lifts but I understand your comparison...

for me it's just about wearing a good pair of jeans for a year and sharing the experience with some friends here that know something about denim

I dont know what a 'hypebeast' is, or a 'jawns dragon' for that matter, but I am entering my first (and only) contest next year (RoyxCone).

What motivates me is the fact that my jeans are being made by one man, on old sewing machines, by hand, from start to finish (just like Jacob Davis did) using a very special Cone denim which emulates the denim used on 1920's Levi's.

Btw, I am a vintage Levi's nut, and have been since 1985.

These jeans have all the elements I like about my association with the fabric, plus I was invited to take part by a good friend who also is a levi's nut.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about 'winning', but have already enjoyed the social aspect of it and enjoy a bit of banter.

Regardless of the rules, I will wear the fucking things 'till they fall apart !

And yes, I cant help but breifly gloat in the elitism of it all.

Hope this helps?

:D

Blahblahblahblah...elitist cnut ;)

To any that missed it: Note the word "fading".

(and no, you should need a (10) or whatever the fuck it is to denote a freakin' joke...)

What's a (10)? Just got home from a corporate freebie - QPR 1 - Watford 3. Sitting by the WAGs, free food and booze, hilarious listening to the home fans' weak laments when they could easily have lost 9-0 (no joke). Anyway the Flatheads had a nice time too. I love you all xxx

NB. only corporate 'cos of my mates photography work with QPR. Not some white collar schmoozefest or owt like that.

i do it for the nookie. :rolleyes:

not really. but it's fun. i believe in riding it out if you join- period. unless there's some extreme circumstances. buy the jeans (if you really like them), wear them, post some pic's and enjoy it. would people do it if forums like this didn't exist- probably not.

now, my bs opinions- there's too many contests. there should be one. and there should be a "jackpot". all contestants put in $$$. (i don't care about laws- first rule in denim club, you don't talk about denim club) most of you have the dough. . .c'mon!!!! :D

^ 10 characters. For when the forum software rejects your post as too short.

Actually the "(10)" is sufu language for sarcasm. A "10" is super sarcastic, while a "1" is legit.

For characters, you are suppose to count down "321" etc.

So like, "Maynard Friedman is a chump (1)" means he is a chump and "Paul T is totally cool (10)" means he ain't so cool.

ok, this thread seems like it's a big joke now but,

I am a participant in the LVC contest and I think some of the things that I have learned from being apart of a contest have been beneficial.

+I like observing a brand from a wide focal point and critiquing whether or not the brand is worth the money( come on 250+ for jawnz?)

+I like the pride I feel when I wear jeans that I am representing (this past year I have abstained from purchasing an unnecessary amount of jeans by saying to myself 'hey come on dude yur in the lvc contest')