ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Okay, one more post. After this, I promise no more updates for at least a month:

After being gone for a weekend, there were a few things I needed to take care of.

farm_upclose.jpg

After work I headed up to the zoo. My family works a small vegetable garden that is basically in the middle of the zoo. Not owned by the zoo, but you need to go through the zoo to get to the property. The zoo was closed, so we had the run of the place.

farm_farm.jpg

Neat rows.

farm_rows.jpg

I planted a couple rows of Moscow Tomatoes (named for the town in Idaho, not the capital city of Russia).

farm_giraff.jpg

farm_bees.jpg

The bees.

farm_flood.jpg

On the far end of the garden is a creek. This is normally is nice little trickle. This year, however, creeks and rivers are flooding all over the state. The valley Zissou lives in is getting hit pretty badly.

farm_fit.jpg

The Farmer fit.

Now, where'd I put my Supreme hat?

Since the zoo was closed I thought we'd walk around. Look at this fella chomping on his dinner.

farm_tiger2.jpg

The wife doesn't like me getting into the cages with The Boy, but since she's not around....

farm_tiger.jpg

(Since people on the Internet take most things literally, and to avoid a call to Child Services, I'll let you know that there is a glass partition between the tiger and my son. We wouldn't climb into a tiger's cage).

roy6,

You're not kidding, I herd that cheap, exploitative grazing labour is on the increase nowadays - really gets my goat.

You know, I was ruminating on your cutting observations today,

I guess American's are now so lazy and hands-off that we'll turn to ever cheaper and cheaper labor sources, wether human or no, with little regard for their well-being. We really buck that trend when we consider our own kids, who are treated like veritable little princes and princesses drenched with social activities where everyone is a winner and gets a trophy, even if they lose. We've become a nation of dam nannys.

farm_tiger.jpg

Good to see Cash's outing billys the notion that all Americans are over-protective nannys. Nice photos, sire!

Nice pics cash!

Sansome1877, you have the most worn in Roy x Cone jeans in the world!

My RxC and I just finished writing a referee letter for myself (my old boss wanted me to draft it for him) - the hardest piece of writing I've had to do in my life.

dkatz just saw in the New York Times that political turmoil is not the only threat to your life in Uganda, but you also have to contend with DDT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/world/africa/19uganda.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=ddt%20uganda&st=cse

zissou we are just finishing up an addition to our very small house. All I can say is that I wish we could just buy yours.

Sansome That's how waist overalls should be worn.

^ Nice - you rock the denim tux well!

Great to see all the activity here - beautiful updates from all. I gave my Roys a break for a few days as well. Nice to have them back on!

a2d00c70.jpg

My RxC and I just finished writing a referee letter for myself (my old boss wanted me to draft it for him) - the hardest piece of writing I've had to do in my life.

Oi I hate doing that shit. Good luck!

dkatz just saw in the New York Times that political turmoil is not the only threat to your life in Uganda, but you also have to contend with DDT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/world/africa/19uganda.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=ddt%20uganda&st=cse

Greeeeat. I actually remember reading a piece not too long ago in which some expert, I believe affiliated with the WHO, lamented DDT's bad rap since it's so good at combating malaria. Interesting.

Also, there was recently a confirmed case of Ebola a couple hours east of Kampala. Charming all around!

^^me too.so back into the Roys after the Chino-shock from last weekend.

5737096395_9b320b5049_z.jpg

LOVING this shot!

Rebel Night Benefit Party for Japan

IMG_9032.jpg

Hombre looks like waylon jennings in his hay day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmHkjCUYKS-6MUNTGwtWRDZjfoj8VyhIb1bMduuw7szAmTFueA

One of the biggest badasses ever.

Mike, I'm stoked to hear you're doing more painting, but not that those beauties are being relegated to the closet so much! Those are gorgeous...

Thanks dkatz, it's nice to be working again, I will put my Roy's to good use, next month. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THE EBOLA VIRUS!!!!!!

entertainment, cash, almostnice, mikecch... thanks for you compliments & rep:)

Hadn't had one of my lunchtime rambles with my mate Carl for some weeks so…

We headed by the river.

1.jpg

this stretch is just down from Greemwich. We've lost a huge local scrapyard, redeveloped as swanky riverside apartments, but there's still a great, industiral feel, helped by the presence of the last boat repair yards on this part of the river. Occasionally you'll see three or four mast sailing boats in there. Mostly they are working on the barges that ply their trade up and down the river, usually carryig hardcore or rubble from building work.

2crane.jpg

3junk.jpg

This wharf was the site of the first telegraph cable company - they made the cable that first connected Britain to the states. Now developers have just got planning permission to convert the wharf into a terminal for luxury cruise liners.

4wharf.jpg

5machinery.jpg

According to legend, all the swans on the River Thames are owned by the Queen. Wonder if this couple know?

6swans.jpg

This thames walk is supposed to stay open by law - stretches keep getting closed, eventually they reopen, like this one:

7noentry.jpg

8theriver.jpg

The sun glinting on the river

9thesun.jpg

There is one upside to the loss of the old industries - less pollution means more fish. And these fellas, cormorants, who live off them.

10cormorants.jpg

This section used to have massive towers for a sugar refinery, recently demolished. They're still clearing away the rubble.

12oiltank.jpg

13container.jpg

I love these old gas holders, many of which date from Victorian times. THey're ruggedly beautiful. Yestreday I got a train thru West Ham where there were five of them, I want to go and see them again.

14gasholder.jpg

We looped away from the river to hurry back home to do some work. I've got 3,500 words to deliver for MOJO monday, Carl has a 148 page booklet for a special edition vinyl album to design, so we had to speed up a bit.

This is the factory that had the huge sugar silos. Now you can see their huge, brick distillery building, which seems totally deserted. I wonder how long this will last.

15olddistillery.jpg

But, not everything is crumbling and being demolished. Here's a happy site - Meantime Brewery, the home of the magical beer I am sipping right now. I'm 2,500 words in. I hope Carl got to his target of 120 pages by tonight. Have a great weekend, folks.

16Meantime.jpg

IR's do rule!

This was our last week of school...

5737174835_9ccae0ab63_m.jpg The last one of these I'll be washing for a few months.

A good friend from work is moving to a new school. We had a going away party this afternoon for her. Kicked off the summer w/ a little grilling, a little food and some LADDERBALL.

* we followed the 'rules' of the game and had drinks in our hands, but since we work at a school no adult beverages visible in pictures. *

247791_10150189253016835_508016834_7399390_7968227_n.jpg

250546_10150189254006835_508016834_7399404_18168_n.jpg

this is what winning looks like

230577_10150189254076835_508016834_7399405_3209399_n.jpg

247836_10150189254151835_508016834_7399406_2298886_n.jpg

She claimed to have never played before...

230307_10150189254316835_508016834_7399409_2671833_n.jpg

249793_10150189255546835_508016834_7399426_7315045_n.jpg

Then she proceeded to kick my ass.

230997_10150189255606835_508016834_7399428_6241408_n.jpg

But at least I had my wife, and my Roys to console me in my time of defeat.

226356_10150189255486835_508016834_7399425_2883475_n.jpg

7 7 7 - damn, wish it was a slot machine.