Jackets [generally so]

I have a Levi Engineered Jacket right now that I layer under a red down vest, I also have a Levi Type 1 Jacket, sometimes I'll wear a duffle coat over jeans, and a North Face down if it's really cold. A fake leather jacket with fake fur collar as well, but that's falling apart.

Jeans are pretty versatile, wear pretty much anything with them.

you really got to be a certain kind of guy to pull of a jacket like that cheap.

I think you do a good job.

I on the other hand have been teetering back and forth on trying to rock one but Im not sure I could do it.

nice find.

Here's what I've been wearing everyday since august:

dscn3850al8.jpg

LVC 1905 Sunset Coat, i'm normally not into pre-destressed stuff at all, but this was too hard to resist and I'm glad I got it. Goes great with my "first blue jeans" Levi's,

Now that it's colder here I'm wearing a LEE Loco jacket under it to keep me warm.

I saw those it the little booklet you get with your LVCs a few years ago. I called the Levis store in New York that had some though nothing in my size. Nice jacket. I usually don't like pre-aged stuff either but would make an exception with that.

I got it in Berlin at Buttenheim, they had it on sale, but still I had to go in there 3 times to try it on before I finally got them.

I was a bit scared of all the pre-worn stuff but in the end just hoped that after wearing it a little while it would start looking less artificial, wich it does I think, I could have gotten that kind of hard wear on it in about year if I wanted to. Now their wear just has to sort of blend in with my wear.

Still if it would have been "raw" I would've probably bought it straight away, and saved me the going back to the shop 3 times.

I think LVC misses a change by not bringing out a raw version of all the pre-destressed pieces they have each season. I mean they start out with the raw ones anyway.

Still I'm very happy I ended up getting it!

(hmmm? hope this post makes sense, I'm at work and not able to fully concentrate.)

Completely agree with this –

I think LVC misses a change by not bringing out a raw version of all the pre-destressed pieces they have each season. I mean they start out with the raw ones

Would've love to have gotten this jacket in its raw state:

pLEVI1-2926314dt.jpg

• 1 year later...

My constant attention to "Shoes that look better with age..." and the resurgence of "Vintage Sweatshirts" combined with today's pick-up of a 10-Button WWII-era Navy peacoat made me realize the need for a thread dedicated to the discussion of jackets/coats that would be of particular interest to the Superdenim regulars. If my assumptions are right this will mean: military, workwear, motorcyle, vintage, repro, leather, and more, hopefully including a bunch of cool stuff I don't even know about yet. Classic styling, functionality, craftmanship, durability, and "aging with grace" while always looking good would be what I consider the points of interest.

I will try to get pictures up soon of my new peacoat, but I have so say I am impressed on a few levels, and disappointed in myself for not doing a better job of searching vintage shops for these gems more often. The wool is of a higher and finer quality than any peacoat I can recall seeing up to this point, and makes for an incredibly warm coat that breathes well enough to wear indoors or in moderate weather. I was fortunate enough to find a coat that fit me perfectly in the torso, in the length and in arm length, which is totally rare for me. However, this coat has has some repairs on the front, and while I enjoy the weathered look the repairs give (they are actually pretty subtle) I would like to find a cleaner example for when repaired garments aren't appropriate.

My only other jacket is less exciting, but it is a great multi-purpose jacket that has served me well so far, a Barbour Waxed Cotton Flyer. It is lined and quilted, so it is warm, and the waxed cotton definitely repels water. Its a bit bulky though, and I definitely want to add a leather jacket to the arsenal for when I need waterproof but not so warm and bulky. Also, an old pilots jacket would be nice for when the rain and cold are really serious. Enough about my stuff though, share your jacket goodness.

we definitely need to get cotton duck talking about his jacket here:

dsc_1585.jpg

in my opinion, the best leather jackets that will last, feel comfortable to me, and can stand a beating, are usually the heavier functional ones.

My last two related pickups were:

LL Bean, Original Field Coat. Old and interesting design, really nice cotton duck material that will wear great (got mine used, so it already has that washed duck look). Mine is unlined so its nice to wear kinda oversized (since its a pretty big and burly cut) with somewhat slimmer pants. Might be possible to size down on it though.

Vintage Blue Bell denim chore coat. Great cut and surprisingly good denim, aswell as awsome buttons. Rather strange I havent got one of these earlier considering how cool, easy to wear and practical the model is.

Do twill jackets count here? I think non-leather/denim jackets that wear in well are just as cool. What other kind of jackets could wear in well? I mean, I like some work clothing from Carhartt, but alot of them don't really look great when worn...

For sure. Waxed cotton goes through a cool evolution. This definitely doesn't have to be an evolution thread, as the item that inspired me to start it up doesn't really get worn-in. At least not in a way similar to denim or leather.

In that case I recently got a Barbour border jacket, waxed cotton, that i am in love with. something about always smelling like candles...

Which model Barbour Jacket. I really liked their waxed parka and waxed international coat but needed the warmth of the Flyer

Those look pretty nice...all the warmth of wool without the length and overall bulkiness.

Nice choice of Barbour. I have been thinking of getting a winter weight Barbour. I am lovingly committed to my 5-year-old (?) waxed Barbour Beaufort in blue. The patina is quite beautiful, even the paint chipping off the buttons. I haven't ever had it rewaxed, but I plan to send it away for a rewax, to let out the sleeve, and a small repair, this summer.

Most recent addition Belstaff Trialmaster. Perfect for the (seemingly endless) rain we've been having in London lately. This is the Sammy Miller edition repro, fully waxed with some nice detailing like the Belstaff branded buttons.

Belstaff1.JPG

Belstaff5.JPG

Belstaff2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As requested:

My sheepskin bomber.

Picked it up thrifting early this winter, just when I was looking for a new winter coat.

Got a pretty good deal on it aswell, especially for how warm it keeps me.

It's based on what's commonly referred to as a B-3, but isn't an exact repro by far.

Go here (halfway down the page) to see some real B-3's. As you can see, the basic shape is the same but the most obvious differences are that the original didn't have handwarmer pockets but only one map pocket and also used different types of leather.

Needless to say that I love it!

2232175877_cc5db4bdda_o.jpg

2232965086_c6324f1456.jpg

As it was a little on the short side on me, and I'm my bike daily and wanted to prevent a very cold lower back I decided to add extra ribbing to it.

I wanted to keep it in style with the jacket as much as possible and after trying to stitch it on and breaking my machine on the thick sheepskin (durrrrrrr....) I had to handstitch it on.

2232175665_fd554b2f1c.jpg

2232965530_e708de5511.jpg

My battery died right in the middle of taking these pictures.

I can take more if people are dieing to see more....