usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

thanks a lot for the information everyone..we realize it'll probably cost a little more than $1500/month for a desirable place in a good location so we are open to spending more..we are expecting to end up paying roughly around $2000 after discussing it with others who live/lived in the area..we are heading up in april so i guess we will just have to wait and see first hand what we can find.

I second all of the talk about Queens for sure. Fuck Brooklyn.

I'll second the great point PeteyRoss brought up, you can find a no-fee apt. in nice areas pretty easily on craigslist. My girl and I did this after having checked some spots out through brokers and quickly realized that we just didn't want to get hustled out of our well-earned/saved money. Queens is a definite plus for a quiet, cultured (I disagree with the previous comment about lacking culture), step away from the city...plus most areas are actually closer to the city, esp. midtown, than most/all of the Brooklyn hot spots (for the price vs. quality of life). All of the neighborhoods I know are mini-melting pots so that means you get a wide range of food to choose from...very overlooked and probably one of the most important ...sometimes some interesting bars to hit up...definitely some other perks if you're into exploring.

I recommend Astoria, Woodside, and Sunnyside/LIC as the top areas...those spots are on the best Queens subway (7, N, R, W) and bus lines to get you to and from the city and you really shouldn't have trouble finding a 2BR for around your asking price (you'll definitely find a large 1BR for $1500). We lived in SUnnyside and had a hard time leaving because of the amount of really good food made available from all over the map (also cheaper than the city...especially groceries). You get a lot of mom & pop transplant businesses and the vibe is a lot more neighborly than in the city. I also would vote for Elmhurst. A little bit deeper than the aforementioned, but it's still along Queens Blvd. which means you have plenty of transportation choices and shit like Queens Center is nearby (for a kind of semi-authentic city mall experience, if you're into that sorta thing...worth a visit at least once) and some really good roadside diners/restaurants (Georgia Diner especially...also some great Chinese, and an Argentinian steak house).

Ultimately, we had to move back into the city (not a bad thing) because everything we do is really centered in the city...I'm from the city (upper east side mostly) so work, play, etc. was/is done in Manhattan...I just ate and slept and sometimes had friends over in Queens. But since our budget allowed it, we figured we go back onto the island and back to the more reliable trains and craziness.

BK:

Fort Greene is where the cool kids play these days, but it's already way overpriced, just like much of Brooklyn.

Prospect Heights is a little hyped, but i don't think there's anything "worthy" going on. Proximity to Prospect Park is nice, but it's still a lil rough around the edges.

Bed-Stuy is supposedly up and coming, but I can't really get past the fact that it's BED FUCKING STUY!

Avoid Bushwick. At all costs.

QNS:

Deals can still be had Astoria. It's super close to NYC too, on a great subway line.

If your buddy is ballin', he prob afford something in Manhattan. Expect to pay up to 2k+ for a 1br/studio in a "desirable" 'hood. It prob won't be the nicest place either.

If he needs to live on the island of Manhattan and doesn't have baller dollaz, tell him to check out Washington Heights. It's waaaaaaaaaaay up there, but there are nice deals.

Astoria is on a great subway line? Stay out of Bushwick at all costs? Bed stuy is supposedly up and coming? Nice deals in Wash Hts?

You dont know what the fuck youre talking about.

Astoria is on a great subway line? Stay out of Bushwick at all costs? Bed stuy is supposedly up and coming? Nice deals in Wash Hts?

You dont know what the fuck youre talking about.

NRW is more reliable than than shit lines like the F (which is shut down a lot of weekends and is packed beyond believe right after park slope) or the entire ACE.

Bushwick is an overpriced shithole. It's still a completely un-safe area, shitty subway situation, and floats by on a bunch of hipster hype for nothing.

A few Sufu's live in Bed-Stuy. MIA lives in bed-stuy. its proximity to Pratt, FtGreen/Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights, etc make for affordable living with access to gentrified Brookly.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/603654976.html

You fucking lose.

bumping this for the NYC meetup that is a closing in fast...further to the sufu standards, i would love to find some kind of grimey hipster dance bar for at least one night of all out slimeball debauchery, preferrably the friday night. word?

if you decide to go with sunnyside check out the sunnyside gardens area. i just discovered this little section of the neighborhood and might try to look for a place there. there's deals to be had and it's a few blocks from the 7 train and a few more from a couple of other subway lines. if my greenpoint search continues the way it has that'll be my second choice.

also, from my own experience of living in queens for last 14 years, i would suggest to never consider moving to areas which rely on buses to connect them to subway. outside of rush hour most come once or twice an hour, usually not on time. you'll end up taking cabs often.

Alright, I appreaciate all the help you guys have given me. I've booked plane tickets, bought the concert tickets, and my lodging is all in order. I also checked out the main superfuture NYC page and learned a good deal from that. You've all been immensely helpful.

So now I ask this:

Are there any must-go, must-eat, must-see places in NYC that might be a bit below the radar, i.e. not on the superfuture page, not commonly known to tourists, etc?

I'd really like to make the most out of my four days there.

Second this. I'm going this weekend and I've never been. -_- yeah I know. Some recommendations would be nice. I've read the superfuture maps, but wow those things are so densly packed. It's difficult to read and there's way too much stuff. What are some must go to places? I also want to check out some museums and art/photo galleries (I wish I could go to sidneylo's thing, but I have prelims. :) Could I get sneak peaks if there's anything there this weekend?). Help would be nice. Obviously +rep.

Save some extra money and move to MANHATTAN. If I had to move out of Manhattan, I'd sooner go to Europe then to Brooklyn or Queens. I got a rent stabilized studio for $1275 in the East Village. There are deals out there if you look for them. Try VillageVoice.com instead of Craigslist. That's how I found my spot less than a year ago.

i would suggest to never consider moving to areas which rely on buses to connect them to subway. outside of rush hour most come once or twice an hour, usually not on time. you'll end up taking cabs often.

yea living out in Bayside sucks, at night buses come like once an hour in Main Street if i'm out late, so I usually just take the LIRR in Manhattan. if theres a big snow storm or accidents...yea It's gonna take a long time to get into the city.

Save some extra money and move to MANHATTAN. If I had to move out of Manhattan, I'd sooner go to Europe then to Brooklyn or Queens. I got a rent stabilized studio for $1275 in the East Village. There are deals out there if you look for them. Try VillageVoice.com instead of Craigslist. That's how I found my spot less than a year ago.

wow 1275 for a studio? how far east u living? by ave D?

I second all of the talk about Queens for sure. Fuck Brooklyn.

I recommend Astoria, Woodside, and Sunnyside/LIC as the top areas...those spots are on the best Queens subway (7, N, R, W) and bus lines to get you to and from the city and you really shouldn't have trouble finding a 2BR for around your asking price (you'll definitely find a large 1BR for $1500). We lived in SUnnyside and had a hard time leaving because of the amount of really good food made available from all over the map (also cheaper than the city...especially groceries). You get a lot of mom & pop transplant businesses and the vibe is a lot more neighborly than in the city. I also would vote for Elmhurst. A little bit deeper than the aforementioned, but it's still along Queens Blvd. which means you have plenty of transportation choices and shit like Queens Center is nearby (for a kind of semi-authentic city mall experience, if you're into that sorta thing...worth a visit at least once) and some really good roadside diners/restaurants (Georgia Diner especially...also some great Chinese, and an Argentinian steak house).

I live in Elmhurst. The commute from Elmhurst to midtown is like 25-30 minutes, its cheap but getting more expensive, amenities wise it sucks ass. There arent any normal grocery stores or supermarkets, maybe a few large filthy chinese supermarkets, most stores close early. I do most of my shopping at the 59th street whole foods or drive to fairway/mitsuwa(car insurance is cheap in Queens, easy parking). Another reason for the lack of stores and stuff one chinese woman owns alot of the real estate, and she's waiting for a huge condo deal, hence the empty store fronts sitting unoccupied for the last few years. Things might get better with Corcoran recently selling new condos and the growing number of white and japanese folks priced out of Brooklyn and Manhattan moving in. If your into Yoko Ono looking chicks, Elmhurst is for you.

i prefer neighborhood bar type places, probably the one that would be worth travelling to would be chumley's. of all the trendy mixed drink places - death and co is the best hands down, just don't go when it's crowded. pegu club is frat on wheels.

best footie bar is floyd on atlantic in brooklyn heights, second up is mccormack's on 3rd.

Nevada Smiths

I've never been there in the evening, watched few games there when I don't make it to my usual spot. What kind of people go there at night? Does the urine aroma intensifies at night cause that place always smells like straight up train-station restroom.