Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

I thought they were freewheelers, but there are no tags indicating it. I think it's a slightly older model as the shop I got it from has old stock Japanese repros from Cushman to Sunsurf.

i really like them. Did some googling and i think they were made by toyo enterprise.

Edited by tkoy

• 2 weeks later...

^ I went back to pick up the Can't Bust Em's and they are a bit too long for me. I'm thinking of hemming them, but before I do I wanted to offer it up if someone's interested. It has Can't Bust Em suspender buttons, buckleback, one-piece fly and the typical Japanese one-wash and lightly distressed look. Measures 29x34.5

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Also, there's another pair of Boss of the roads in a size 28 left in the store.

11.JPG

These are early Japanese reproductions and are not longer produced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope it's alright to add "Rainbow Country" to this thread. Yesterday the owner of Mushmans (a great shop! located at Minami-Koshigaya station) confirmed that both Rainbow Country and Freewheelers leather jackets are made at the same factory, located just up the road from me in Noda, Chiba. Rainbow Country uses the same horsehide as Freewheelers, but perhaps not the same level of finishing touches (linings etc). The best part is that most R.C jackets are around $500 dollars cheaper than their Freewheel counterparts. I'm no expert, but the R.C. seems like a nice alternative.

Right now I'm consider picking up their "single riders jacket", which is very similar to the Freewheelers "caboose" jacket, but with a different back pattern.

edit: tried to post photos, but I'm new here and not sure how to do it.........

Edited by Ishmael j.

That's interesting. I always wondered about RC leather jackets. I see a lot of details similiar to Freewheelers' leather jackets. RC also produces more military style leather jackets and their leather down vests are pretty sweet too. If you pick up the Single Rider Jacket, post some fit pics in the "Show Off Your Leather Jacket Thread" http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/110313-show-off-your-leather-jacket/

The Freewheelers main Fall and Winter Exhibition is next week. It will be interesting to see what direction FW goes next.

I am liking the black power vibe. I don't think there has been enough of that. The panthers had some dope style.

Hi Ishmael

i've read your post on the fedora lounge as well and wanted to ask you a couple of questions since you are in a ideal situation to commend about fit and quality (being in Japan). I was surprised to read you sized up in the RC single rider (chest 38" but size 40 jacket) since the measurements online for a size 36 seem spot on for me (usually wear size 36). Would your recommend sizing up anyway?

Can you also advise regarding the sizing of Freewheelers/Bootleggers leather jackets? I'm crazy about their Mullholland in brown. I've been eyeing it for the past two years. Even thought about Aero Leather reproducing it but they can't deliver the exact same makeup so decided to go for the real deal, even if it takes me another few years before I finally have the cash to afford it.

Did you have the chance to handle some of the Jelado leather jackets? They seem really nice as well. They made a collab with the rakuten shop Growseed which looks really caught my attention as well

img56757834.jpg

That's interesting. I always wondered about RC leather jackets. I see a lot of details similiar to Freewheelers' leather jackets. RC also produces more military style leather jackets and their leather down vests are pretty sweet too. If you pick up the Single Rider Jacket, post some fit pics in the "Show Off Your Leather Jacket Thread" http://supertalk.sup...leather-jacket/

The Freewheelers main Fall and Winter Exhibition is next week. It will be interesting to see what direction FW goes next.

Indeed. RC does some excellent down vests. Mushmans is taking order now for a killer vest in roughout.

http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=45414369

I don't know exactly what the relationship between Freewheelers and RC is, but I know that RC is run by Miyoshi-san, former employee (owner) at one of the McCoys that went under.

I'll post pics if I get it, but you can see a photo of me wearing the Black and the Red Brown riders jacket at Fedora Lounge.

When and where are the Freewheelers shows? Would really like to go!

@SLAB

I'm in a good geographic location to make recommendations, but I really don't have enough experience with measurements etc to feel very confident. I remeasured my chest, and I actually measure 39. I've tried on some Aeros and I was 38 in 50s Halfbelt, 40 in 30s Halfbelt and 42 in S.T.F (super tight fit or "Japanese Configuration"). Also tried on the McCoys Wayward and Yardbird. Needed a 42 in those. I've seen varying measurements for the RC Single Riders.

I haven't got hands on with any of the Freewheelers or Jelado jackets yet, but I hope too!

hi Ishmael; actually that helps a lot; my chest measures 35" so a size 36 would work for me (as I figured from the dimensions online).

I hope to have a chance to check out Freewheelers and RC myself next summer

that red brown rider jacket really looks stunning!

@Ishmael j.

Interesting. Didn't know that RC has connection to the McCoys. The RC Single Rider looks great on you. Tough decision on the leather, my preference is California Brown, Black, Red Brown in that order but it's all about personal taste. Can't go wrong with any of them.

FW exhibition is at their HQ (Desolation Row) but it's not open to the public. From what I can tell, the exhibition is on Tuesday or Wednesday. We should see some pics on their blog next week. FW tends to keep a lot of info out of consumers' reach unless you visit one of the FW dealers.

Again, I'm not sure what the connection is between all these different companies. Looks like a pretty tangled web.

California Brown is gone. It was a special leather from a few years back. That would be my top choice.

Desolation Row? Sounds intrigiuing.

Edit: I see, that's the name of their retail store. After all these years, not sure how I've missed giving them a visit. Will be doing so soon!

Edited by Ishmael j.

• 2 weeks later...

They look great. It's interesting that all AW12 jackets are name after American writers/poets from the late 1800s to the 1950s.

I like the Brodovitch jacket, looks like a cordury version of Himel Brothers Heron jacket.

Fitzgerald,Faulkner, and Steinbeck sack coats look good too.

• 1 month later...

that's great but where are their small sizes!

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Colimbo gun coat in Harris tweed; jacket cost me an arm and a leg but I'm sure it'll be worth it

• 2 weeks later...

Im ordering a Neal Cassady Chambray in the next day or two,

I go for a med 38-39" in most shirts, I do have the odd raw chambray in Lg that i have hot washed down to size.

Most of my shirts measure 52-53cm across B.

saisunzu03.gif

Sizes from Speedway shop.

Med-52cm across B

Lg-55cm across B

I am 5'11" 72kg/159lb 38"chest 32" waist.

It was just a formality when i asked John/Atsuko weather i should go for a M or hot wash a Lg down to fit i had 99% convinced myself to buy a Med. To my surprise they suggested a Lg would fit nice after a wash.

What do you guys think about my sizing?

How much shrinkage/stretch back can i expect?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

^ I suggest you compare sizes & go to The Wild One. I believe the link is on the first page. They (The WIld One) list theirs as one wash

& Speedway has them in the Raw state. Very accurate & gives you an idea what you start w/ & end w/. I have the vtg indigo from

Speedway, after 1 hot soak & 1 hot wash, I haven't experienced any stretching but then again, I've only worn it a handful of times.

Hope this helps.