The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

I can attest to the frustration that august_ is trying to express. I currently have a Samsung Captivate (AT&T version of the Galaxy S) and the fact that we haven't had Froyo pushed to us yet is extremely irritating, to say the least. AT&T hasn't given me anything but grief since switching to them a few years ago for work-related reasons.

Their Android selection has always been slim due to the amount of attention they lavished upon the iPhone, and their support for what little selection they had was almost nonexistent.

Throw in the fact that the Captivate is, IMO, the ugliest out of all the Galaxy S phones, and you have yourself one very dissatisfied customer. I think I'm just going to bite the EMT and switch to Verizon. The ability to swap out SIM cards has been admittedly convenient for my line of work, but it's not worth the frustration that is AT&T.

Ayoooo

Back in the day there was a group on BBM for fellow sufuers.

Just found out through the new Beluga chat client for Android and iOS that it's basically all about group chatting. You can add pictures, locations, etc.

I started up a new Superfuture group on there, so far it's just me and Wild Style. If anyone wants to be invited, either PM me with the email address that you used to sign up for Beluga, or post it here if you would like.

It was a lot of fun being able to share pictures and chat on BBM, so hopefully this gets going on here.

Lemme know if you want in!

Market link:

chart?chs=225x225&cht=qr&choe=UTF-8&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fdetails%3Fid%3Dcom.belugapods.beluga

I haven't seen any discussion in here so far about the Motorola Atrix, which is coming out relatively soon. A dual-core processor (1GHz a core) that can also be used to power a netbook/laptop? Really looking forward to purchasing this when it comes out in March. :o

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-ATRIX-US-EN

Using a Galaxy S right now, and all I can say is that I am beyond frustrated. Samsung has the shittiest customer support ever. Where is the Froyo that we were promised so many months ago when the phone first came out? Gingerbread is already out, and Ice Cream is on the horizon, and we still don't have Froyo? FUCK

The problem is Samsung is in the business to sell phones, and as many as they can, not in developing a software platform for Android.

Motorola does the same thing: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-motorolas-word-as-good-a/

Motorola went on for months about how a 2.1 update was coming but now finally after making promises they say, nevermind suckers!

It pisses me off, I wish Google would force the manufactures/carriers to give the phones at least 3-4 software updates minimum and set a reasonable time for delivery like 2-3 months after it first comes out. Maybe they will?

I doubt it, if only for the reason that the average consumer couldn't differentiate between 1.5 and 2.2 if their life depended on it. I suppose it's just one of the cons that come along with an open-source platform like Android.

And yeah, I saw the same article, but as a whole, Motorola does a better job than Samsung does when it comes to updating their phones.

Plus, I really despise the Samsung design aesthetic - all super-shiny plastic. Feels really light in the hand, but also feels extremely cheap in comparison to HTC/Motorola phones that use more luxe materials.

Even the Nexus S is all plastic. I was real excited to purchase the next Nexus phone, but after my poor experience with Samsung in the form of my AT&T Captivate, I'm just going to wait a little bit and go with the Atrix.

nexus-s-leak.jpg

The problem is Samsung is in the business to sell phones, and as many as they can, not in developing a software platform for Android.

Motorola does the same thing: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-motorolas-word-as-good-a/

Motorola went on for months about how a 2.1 update was coming but now finally after making promises they say, nevermind suckers!

It pisses me off, I wish Google would force the manufactures/carriers to give the phones at least 3-4 software updates minimum and set a reasonable time for delivery like 2-3 months after it first comes out. Maybe they will?

I have the Nexus S and have to say that it does feel quite plastic-y compared to N1 or HTC in general. I dropped my N1 several times and only got minor scuffs on it, I'm scared what will happen to the NS if the same happens...

Yeah, I used to have an AT&T N1 before I purchased my Galaxy, and really loved the build quality of the phone. It had some noticeable heft to it, which really gave it a solid feel in the hand... but I suppose it might not be for everyone.

How do you like the Nexus S? I was seriously considering picking it up once the AT&T version is released, but I'm kind of on the edge considering my poor experience with Samsung in general.

I haven't seen any discussion in here so far about the Motorola Atrix, which is coming out relatively soon. A dual-core processor (1GHz a core) that can also be used to power a netbook/laptop? Really looking forward to purchasing this when it comes out in March. :o

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-ATRIX-US-EN

I'm excited by the specs and concept of the Atrix, but I still basically see it as a piece of bait to screw people out of their money. The phone and laptop dock bundle is $600 on contract with a $100 mail in rebate (who the fuck still does that?), Plus buying the Atrix forces you to add a tethering plan, which is especially asinine since the entire concept of the phone is that it is your one primary mobile device, so wtf are you tethering it to?

Motorola is going to put their own UI on this, which with laptop/media center mode is only going to make it even slower to update to new versions of Android. Combined with the fact that this is on ATT, which has proven it does not give a fuck about customers at all once the contract is signed, I can see the Atrix causing massive buyer remorse 6 months in. Considering that I can buy an off contract Xoom tablet for the price of the Atrix +laptop/media bundle accessories WITH a bloated monthly contract, the Atrix seems like a massive sucker play.

My main beef with all Android phones is that every single carrier/manufacturer will make every single promise to get you to buy the hottest current phone, then 3 months later they have no obligation to uphold any of it.

Not rly down with Motorola and LTE a must.

Next.

There was nothing at MWC and CES that had a slide out qwerty, I was hoping for this too but it looks rather bleak at this point. Your just gonna have to suck it up and deal.

Anyone running cyanogen rom? Update looks andfels better but half my apps force close before they open

I'm running CM7-RC1 on my Evo and I haven't noticed any problems with Apps force closing. Granted, I haven't put my phone through its paces since loading the new rom, but everything seems normal. Did you do a full wipe before loading it (could be part of the problem)?