Jeans of the Old West: A History

aho

You were correct, I looked on the other side of the boot and the rivet is intact. The hole in the side of the boot had a rivet at one time. I will take a picture of the remaining rivet, on the other side of the boot.

Excellent! Look forward to the photo.

It's an amazing job you are doing.

Sansome, when you were here the subject of the old Levi's 'balloon' pants came up. I dug up a magazine that has this picture of them. Also photographed some other stuff from the same book that may be of interest. This was the best resolution I could get, some of the originals images here were only about an inch tall.

5160235938_dc92bf124f_o.jpg

Were these the pants in question?

5160236620_1cd71160ce_b.jpg

5159633161_98ba73b6bd_b.jpg

5159633929_c6920d80cf_b.jpg

5159640773_13bafbc580_b.jpg

5159633265_f7b621d091_b.jpg

5159633365_97589c846d_b.jpg

Paul the first thing I thought of, I still have to send you a piece of my ticking fabric (I will put it in the mail tomorrow) I noticed that the color isn't as vibrant like my old sample. Nice post, thanks for the location. I think it would be interesting to make a pair of Neustadter pants out of ticking fabric.

Yo Sansome, what jacket is that you have been wearing lately. I like it. Can you post some close ups of the fabric?

5162712873_d3645804c7_z.jpg

I talked about, how I thought these guys were walking on the back of their pants and thats why you often see what looks to be spur bites on old pants. I think this picture supports my theory.

I am certain you're right.

Otherwise people will be looking at lots of bootcut jeans from the 1990s and concluding that Britpop fans all owned horses.

5162712873_d3645804c7_z.jpg

I talked about, how I thought these guys were walking on the back of their pants and thats why you often see what looks to be spur bites on old pants. I think this picture supports my theory.

This just proves that stacking hipsters have been down since day one.

I am certain you're right.

Otherwise people will be looking at lots of bootcut jeans from the 1990s and concluding that Britpop fans all owned horses.

I thought you might agree with this theory Paul, I didn't mention that most miners lived, within 200 yards from where they worked, so no need for the horse and spurs...... You beat me to it Switch, my next post was going to focus on stacking hipsters.

I was thinking the name could be, "Phat stacks"

I would also be willing to bet that the hipster stacker miners would also have their tailor taper their jeans from the inner leg so as not to fuck with the selvage line.

guy ob the far right must have been on sufu back then... hes got a proper hem job.... you can tell hes over stacking... tho he was stacking back in 1882, back when everyone else was still wearing spring bottom pants.

Yeah, he was so ahead of his time that he found a hole in the space-time continuum and got them chainstitched before it was even invented.

I was thinking the name could be, "Phat stacks"

I would also be willing to bet that the hipster stacker miners would also have their tailor taper their jeans from the inner leg so as not to fuck with the selvage line.

Wasn't Gene "Fats" Tacks the drunk in The Magnificent Seven?

icon_rimshot.gif

is that eltopo on the left?

Yep that's eltopo on the left and me on the right. Killing it back then. Not so much these days. I never thought style would change.