Artist Denim

Guest KoCHiRO1985

^ Mine was the straight cut.

When I ordered he only had 3 cuts - I see Gun's been busy!

My sizing on the jeans have been:

OG Roy's: w36

Roy x Cone: w35

Artist Denim: w35

All STF denim, and all STF before wear too.

The waist on the Artist jeans is a bit more snug and a slimmer fit all round; but it's hardly a fair comparison at the moment, since I've only worn the Artist pair for one day, and I know the 40*00 fabrics can stretch out quite easily.

For the project I was thinking of wearing the Artist 40500 pair Monday to Saturday in 2012, and the Sugar Cane 40300 on Sunday - and comparing the colour of the denim at the end of the year.

Now that I think about it, sounds a little dumb...but why not :P

Edit: What! Holy crackers, 10 different pocket fabrics now???

he has this message on his site now:

"Due to problem with current landlord, I'm currently in the process of moving my workshop again.

Every mail will still be reply but every order will not be started til 30/06/2011.

Current order will be ready to shipped by next week.

Thank you for your understanding.

Gun"

I am thinking about ordering a pair but i'll probably wait until things calm down a bit.

Dude, he's a standup guy and makes some good shit at great prices, but wtf-- this could be the beginning of a bad chain of events.

I'm crossing my fingers for the folks who've ordered.

I've never ordered from him and only had a few email exchanges so I can't say for certain, but I think he is still a standup guys. It seems like he just has a lot of stuff to work out with moving his workshop and is probably insanely busy with that. I'd imagine that he is pretty stressed out. I'm sure he'll still deliver to everyone that has ordered, but I'd imagine it might take longer than usual.

Hope it all goes smoothly and he is back up soon, I'd really like to order a pair.

Someone's mentioned it before, but it seems he's more active over at a Thai denim forum: http://selvedgeforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,5.2850.html

A plus if you can read Thai or just use Chrome's translator. It's still pretty hard to understand after the translation though.

I'm glad to hear Im not the only one having trouble understanding, I've tried the fire fox and Chrome translator and am still pretty lost.

Not knocking him or the fact that he intends to finish his orders. But finding a secure location, moving equipment, materials, etc., then setting up, isn't always the easiest of transitions. One month could easily turn to two.

It's all part of the process of business growth and circumstances beyond his control, but intention doesn't always materialize in a timely manner. The language barrier also doesn't make this easy.

Remember, Gun lost a tailor last year and had to take a long time to figure things out-- I'm cautiously optimistic for him at this point.

I really would suggest having a bit more patience. From my dealings with him, Gun doesn't seem like the kind of person who would get all tricky over money...I didn't even get to pay him until 2 weeks after I received my jeans, and I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for my bombardment of e-mails offering payment, I may well have gotten my pair for free.

Gun does everything himself, from responding to buyers'/suppliers' correspondences to soaking the pocket-flashers in coffee and sending your jeans off...not to mention all the materials and design research he has to do, sourcing new fabrics and prospecting for new machines, and the amount of work he has to put in actually making these jeans.

Think Roy Slaper in the pre-SE days, nearly working himself unconscious.

Given that he now has to move his entire workshop, I'd really think we should cut him a bit of slack.

MTO jeans with top-notch Japanese fabrics for $170 is a steal, and waiting for a month or so shouldn't be a huge deal.

(And I would predict as his business grows, maybe next year when we order a pair from Gun the one-month waiting might be standard!)

I've had custom-made leathers that got the make-time dragged out to almost 6 months before - it's just the nature of getting things MTO, especially by a small workshop...much less a lone craftsman.

Any one have experience with shrinkage on the #20 denim?

Thanks in advance!

I have a pair made with the #20 denim and did a hot soak before wear to get any shrinkage out of the way. There was no noticeable shrinkage in the legs and maybe .25" in the rise and waist. Virtually no shrinkage at all. Oh, and make sure you soak first because the #20 denim bleeds like CRAZY.

I am filing a paypal dispute with Artist Denim today. I paid for my purchase 17 days ago and have had virtually no response from gun since I have paid, despite repeated e-mails. He also has never asked for my shipping address.

I'll forward your problem to him. I think there was something wrong with your or his email. I've not seen gun have problem like this before. All customers usually loved his work and satisfied with purchased.

I think he will contact you asap because this story is not good for both of you.

Yes, chubby, I totally agree with zephyrsong. Gun has, so far, not only a 100% record of reliability, I can say in my case he was -regarding an exchange due to sizing- gracious beyond what I could expect. I am certain the fault does not rest with him and that your problem can be sorted.

^ Good to hear all is sorted!

@ dkatz: seat is a little snug, especially with my chunky wallet and coin pouch.

But the waist has already stretched out significantly after less than 2 days wear, so here's hoping the rest of the jeans will relax some too.

p5290060h.jpg

Funny combo with Stow boots:

p5290070.jpg

How'd you size on those? I'm curious how they end up post soak and stretch.

Also curious about this.

I want to get some straight/slim straight in the #1 fabric but the site states ~10% shrinkage. Wondering what this means in terms of sizing. Thinking about a full size up if they are TTS raw?

Also curious about this.

I want to get some straight/slim straight in the #1 fabric but the site states ~10% shrinkage. Wondering what this means in terms of sizing. Thinking about a full size up if they are TTS raw?

You can actually go TTS raw and they will stretch back out comfortably after a few wears. Depends on how you like the thighs to fit.

Thanks, Ray! I have the euphemistic "athletic" thighs, and I usually wear a 30, so I'm thinking maybe a 31...

Haha, yeah you may want to go an inch up then. The thighs will also stretch just a hair, but not as much as the waist does. I went TTS and I have a bit slimmer of a fit, but I'm quite happy with it. My formerly "athletic" thighs have withered in the past few years.