Ah, ok, thanks a bunch! Yeah, I want to branch into fashion... hopefully I can be a lifestyle fashion photographer - going to need a lot more practice, lol.

Man its hard to to really say as to what will pull you in either direction.. its going to be to your own interpretation. Shit, My portfolio has been scattered all over the place, so Ive definitely been there. At this point, Im really happy with my portfolio as it sits, it appears to be consistent or "cohesive." To me fashion work involves more of the attitude the model puts forth, the clothing, ad the interaction between you as the photographer and the 2 previous variables. haha sounds dumb Im sure. My personal mentor is actually on here as well, xcoalesce (fuck I always forget his sn) but if you were to ask him of his struggle and his 3rd person view of my struggle, man.. itd be a lengthy story of ups & downs (mostly downs)

Either way brotha, youre doing great! Id say right now, look at your overall tone, the White Balance. Most editorial work will have an overall "image" so try not to be to scattered. Most of all, make sure youre having fun, and dont underestimate yourself/dont sell yourself short. Right now, Im in a good place, but I promise you in two weeks, Ill be in the dumps.

Edited by tsxser

Man its hard to to really say as to what will pull you in either direction.. its going to be to your own interpretation. Shit, My portfolio has been scattered all over the place, so Ive definitely been there. At this point, Im really happy with my portfolio as it sits, it appears to be consistent or "cohesive." To me fashion work involves more of the attitude the model puts forth, the clothing, ad the interaction between you as the photographer and the 2 previous variables. haha sounds dumb Im sure. My personal mentor is actually on here as well, xcoalesce (fuck I always forget his sn) but if you were to ask him of his struggle and his 3rd person view of my struggle, man.. itd be a lengthy story of ups & downs (mostly downs)

Either way brotha, youre doing great! Id say right now, look at your overall tone, the White Balance. Most editorial work will have an overall "image" so try not to be to scattered. Most of all, make sure youre having fun, and dont underestimate yourself/dont sell yourself short. Right now, Im in a good place, but I promise you in two weeks, Ill be in the dumps.

Thanks a bunch for the reply! Yeah, right now I'm still in 'the scattered place" with my portfolio. Individually I like the images I've put into it, but together it just doesn't express what I want it to. The problem for me is that I don't have the models that fashion kinda needs if that makes sense. I do my best directing the models and what poses to do, but I'm not very good in that aspect since I haven't been fortunate enough to work with more fashion models it could also just be my lack of knowledge on fashion though.

xcoalesce takes some seriously incredible photos though, but you both have different styles. Not that I don't like his style, but I prefer your style more as it's almost more minimalist and doesn't look as photoshopped (not that that's a bad thing). It's also kinda more 'street' the way you take yours since it's using different angles, crops, etc.. I tend to work a lot in photoshop with curves, levels, and the like, but I hope I'll eventually develop the style I love and stick to it.

Honestly i like the other style better, but they aren't my photos . I just like the tones and the story they look like it could tell. I do like the last one, it seems the most dynamic of the bunch

Edited by TheCreativeD00m

Some "lifestyle" images I shot for work a bit ago

tumblr_md5u8xUGZr1rwgkifo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_md5u99pnxU1rwgkifo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_md5uaefOAb1rwgkifo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_md5uedgFqQ1rwgkifo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_md5ubznIBx1rwgkifo1_1280.jpg

@laxlife1234

Was browsing through your stuff the other day and I really like the progression you've made from what I remember you posting in here a long time ago (when I used to lurk more often). From a technical standpoint they're pretty spot on.

I think it's great that you're starting to hone in on your style, but I would also encourage you to keep experimenting and branch out of just one style. These days "fashion photographers" are a dime a dozen, so the thing that will make you marketable to fashion companies/brands/advert agencies/etc is versatility and being able to editorialize and project a certain perspective that will often not necessarily be your own. Especially now that the industry is so incestuous, it's hard to get your foot in the door without knowing someone.

Edited by Japaslavian

Thanks a bunch for the reply! Yeah, right now I'm still in 'the scattered place" with my portfolio. Individually I like the images I've put into it, but together it just doesn't express what I want it to. The problem for me is that I don't have the models that fashion kinda needs if that makes sense. I do my best directing the models and what poses to do, but I'm not very good in that aspect since I haven't been fortunate enough to work with more fashion models it could also just be my lack of knowledge on fashion though.

xcoalesce takes some seriously incredible photos though, but you both have different styles. Not that I don't like his style, but I prefer your style more as it's almost more minimalist and doesn't look as photoshopped (not that that's a bad thing). It's also kinda more 'street' the way you take yours since it's using different angles, crops, etc.. I tend to work a lot in photoshop with curves, levels, and the like, but I hope I'll eventually develop the style I love and stick to it.

Dont you live in NYC? Just hit up agencies.. Dont be afraid to do so either. Granted the worst they can say is "No" but theyre genrally pretty polite. They always want clean images for their new faces, I think you could easily offer that.

As minimalist as my work may be perceived, alot of post work goes into it as well. You have to learn when to draw the line though, and that can be hard. I notice you have a lengthy gear list, and I think its also best to learn to not be so focused on gear, but to be focused on being "creative," and becoming more "hands on."

btw, really dig the last set.

Honestly i like the other style better, but they aren't my photos . I just like the tones and the story they look like it could tell. I do like the last one, it seems the most dynamic of the bunch

I think it's more so the types of edit? Or do you mean the overall feel of the images? I'd say the first set is aimed more at lifestyle vs. the second which could be vintage/higher end? I also didn't nearly edit the second set as much as the first. But thanks!

Some "lifestyle" images I shot for work a bit ago

@laxlife1234

Was browsing through your stuff the other day and I really like the progression you've made from what I remember you posting in here a long time ago (when I used to lurk more often). From a technical standpoint they're pretty spot on.

I think it's great that you're starting to hone in on your style, but I would also encourage you to keep experimenting and branch out of just one style. These days "fashion photographers" are a dime a dozen, so the thing that will make you marketable to fashion companies/brands/advert agencies/etc is versatility and being able to editorialize and project a certain perspective that will often not necessarily be your own. Especially now that the industry is so incestuous, it's hard to get your foot in the door without knowing someone.

Thanks a bunch man :)

I am still in the process of finding what style I enjoy doing, but as I'm experimenting I guess I'm going through many different types of styles. I'd like to be more lifestyle fashion & high end fashion. Also still experimenting with many editing styles so once I have a set editing style I'm hoping it will make things a bit easier as well. But thanks a ton for the advice - I always appreciate it!

Dont you live in NYC? Just hit up agencies.. Dont be afraid to do so either. Granted the worst they can say is "No" but theyre genrally pretty polite. They always want clean images for their new faces, I think you could easily offer that.

As minimalist as my work may be perceived, alot of post work goes into it as well. You have to learn when to draw the line though, and that can be hard. I notice you have a lengthy gear list, and I think its also best to learn to not be so focused on gear, but to be focused on being "creative," and becoming more "hands on."

btw, really dig the last set.

Thank you (for the advice & compliment)! I have hit up a few agencies before (no reply though), but I feel like I have way more in my portfolio to work with now so I'm going to definitely hit up a few agencies and see if I can set something up.

Definitely didn't mean to make it seem like I said your work is minimalist in the post production, I just love how it's clean which I know takes a good knowledge in post to obtain.. I'm still trying to find what types of edit I like.

As much as I've been through a TON of gear, I've never actually owned more then 2 lenses and 1 camera body at a time lol. I would have another lens, but I'm trying to get more invested in lighting.. I just sold off my studio strobes as I rarely used them to get an Elinchrom ranger set so I can actually use it on location wherever I am (I figured it made more sense lol).

Here's actually the collections from both those shoots:

http://jacobskoglund.4ormat.com/tess

521315_381764445255599_326534352_n.jpg

http://jacobskoglund.4ormat.com/dina

559763_381065258658851_2070397720_n.jpg

Edited by laxlife1234

lax loving your fashion stuff.

getting more into that too, like lookbooks and stuff.

anyways for some inspiration you should look here, this chick is mindblowing.

http://www.tamaralichtenstein.com/

in her bio she said shes inspired by femininity, thats something I've been thinking about. Not sure how well i understand feminitiy as a guy.

Haha fuckin Tamara, she lives just south of me like 3 hrs. Pretty rad chick, shot a bunch of her more popular stuff on a Contax T2, good stuff.

lax loving your fashion stuff.

getting more into that too, like lookbooks and stuff.

anyways for some inspiration you should look here, this chick is mindblowing.

http://www.tamaralichtenstein.com/

in her bio she said shes inspired by femininity, thats something I've been thinking about. Not sure how well i understand feminitiy as a guy.

Thanks man! Yeah I checked out her stuff - I like it a lot. It's not the typical fashion stuff you would expect, it's nice because it's different and unique.

But yeah, just met with someone from a modeling agency and he's emailing me a list of models I will be able to test with, so hopefully that goes over well.

I see what you're saying Jacob, your intended target audience in the last set was high end, but the poses seem a little dull. I liked the ones in the prior set because it seems more active within the space. I do like number 4 and the 4th from the last in that first set of multiple images you posted on this page. I just feel like your "lifestyle fashion" is my preference I guess. I'm a nobody though, so take what I say as a grain of salt and do what you do :)

I just came across this lookbook. Holy fuck

I dont know if you guys remember the user Goslett but he shot this

http://collections.l...dmill-Club-SS13

You know... his shots are absolutely amazing, but for me the vibe was kinda killed when I realized he was shooting from a distance with a telephoto lens. Almost as if his shots are too good and there aren't any errors. That set you posted was amazing though.

I see what you're saying Jacob, your intended target audience in the last set was high end, but the poses seem a little dull. I liked the ones in the prior set because it seems more active within the space. I do like number 4 and the 4th from the last in that first set of multiple images you posted on this page. I just feel like your "lifestyle fashion" is my preference I guess. I'm a nobody though, so take what I say as a grain of salt and do what you do :)

Dude - your opinion means just as much to me as if a famous photographer were to critique my work. I'm sure I'd take each opinion in a different light, but trust me I really do appreciate your input. that being said I personally think that the second set was accomplishing more of what I wanted then in the first set but I see what you mean about poses. I think they were a bit too forced - because the girl wasn't a model I didn't want to be too harsh in telling her what to do so I was trying to work around that (which is why I need models who know what they're doing lol).

You know... his shots are absolutely amazing, but for me the vibe was kinda killed when I realized he was shooting from a distance with a telephoto lens. Almost as if his shots are too good and there aren't any errors. That set you posted was amazing though.

Could you elaborate on that?

Anyways I loved the composition on several of the photos. The one where he the guy was throwing the shirt at the girl, the one where the dude was on the couch and the girl was on her back, The dude on the skateboard with the fire cracker, and the one where they were all walking to the car.

What i love most about the look book is that it told a story. Thats how lookbooks should be. Pretty inspiring!