hmm... move the flash off camera man... :) or at least soften it a bit to get higher quality light...

the beginnings of a collection:

nice garage sale pickup, DUM,

but i would recommend ditching that Series E lens and picking up the standard Nikon 50 f1.8, or moving up to the 1.4.

build quality and sharpness will be much better, and you can get them used on keh.com for super cheap.

I did my first photo shoot recently. Well, pretty much the first time I have taken "planned" pictures of anybody. It happened in an art studio on the UCSC campus which, thank goodness, has somewhat decent lighting. They are my friends band, Bear on Bear.

bearonbearbf4.jpg

That was taken with a 24mm. The head shadow is killing me in this one.

bearonbear1nd7.jpg

And that with a 50mm.

All in all I shot 4 rolls of film for a total of 145 pictures. The band was definately happy with them so it was a success! One thing I need to remember is that if I want to make 8x10s then I can't have people right up until the edges of the photo.

I did my first photo shoot recently. Well, pretty much the first time I have taken "planned" pictures of anybody. It happened in an art studio on the UCSC campus which, thank goodness, has somewhat decent lighting. They are my friends band, Bear on Bear.

bearonbearbf4.jpg

That was taken with a 24mm. The head shadow is killing me in this one.

bearonbear1nd7.jpg

And that with a 50mm.

All in all I shot 4 rolls of film for a total of 145 pictures. The band was definately happy with them so it was a success! One thing I need to remember is that if I want to make 8x10s then I can't have people right up until the edges of the photo.

Print full frame.

Most documentary actually use neg carriers the are larger than the negs so you can see the edges of the frame. I say always try and crop with the camera/lens and if the image needs to be cropped then crop but try and compose when the image is shot. If you print full frame you're not compromising your vision. Some of my favorite photographers and their images are ones that use the edges of the frame in their compositions.

l_d311bed7626194e24dbfa226265bda00.jpg

l_4ca7672dd653491c5a5d0f7dd1479a0f.jpg

l_ffc98260913cd2a7bea9fbadc79ce37d.jpg

l_3a6a5c8324c196e2416cf90caeb68070.jpg

a trash can with legs..

l_9836ab55c9147ab0dbb665b929f77624.jpg

First two are with a Canon Rebel II G i think the model is. with the stock lens.

The rest are with my AE-1, either with a 28mm wide or a 100-200mm zoom. Not sure.

Could be better but whatev, it was some of my earlier stuff, i have like 4 rolls waiting.

Anyone know what to do for an FD mount if it's giving me shit and not locking on properly? I have such a hard time and it's my favorite lens. thanks

I'm feeling this one. Great alignment and symmetry... there's a lot of detail and interesting things going on in this photograph...

Appreciated. When I saw this building from across the street I instantly feel in love with

it. So glad I had my camera with me, since as of late I've been too lazy to lug around

my DSLR but hopefully this photo will motivate me to start shooting again (I've been

uninspired for quite some time).

I echo sid's comments.

You should post more sol.

Thanks, appreciated as well. And if you ask, you shall receive. More vertical shots..

IMG_0156_2.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

SEATTLE3.jpg