that houndstooth coat is gold!

about HDR, yeah, most of the shit out there suck, but I must admit that guy's stuff is very interesting, I like how they're overdone to the point that they no longer look like photographs... In my film days I've always done multiple exposures and then spot-enlarge in the darkroom to get the exposure at different areas correct... it was fairly commonly done in the darkroom, at least among the people who used the same facility as me. Before the whole CS2+ automated HDR workflow was released, I've always done it with multiple layers and masks, often time I just open up the same raw files at different exposure values to get details and highlights to show up right... if done right it's subtle and you won't even notice it...

but yeah, I would prolly say over 90% of the people with HDR pics done in photoshop don't know what they're doing... but that is true with everything else... what I hate more is people with fast expensive lens overusing shallow DoF, that is stupid as hell...

Thanks Carl. That body of work which started as just a personal visual project turned into a small book that I put together with some of my own writings. I was going through a very rough time in my life and the project probably save me allot of $$$$ on therapy.

Heres just a small sample. I did some of my own writing. Used some some others and did some where I combined thoughts. The vertical is the final page.

IMG_8960.jpg

IMG_8958.jpg

IMG_8959.jpg

IMG_8961.jpg

Keep the shutter open say 10 sec and find some lights and just move the camera around. If you want to see some killer motion stuff check out the bull fighting images that Ernst Hass made. Roy DeCarava did some interesting Jazz photos using motion to enhance his photographic statements by using movement to show the music itself was in motion.

Carl - in the first shot did you use a flash? if so how and what?

Vitamin - i've never seen that on camerquest, awesome post.

sidney - try not to get other photographers in your shots kinda ruins them. unless your trying to deliberately show that but it didnt' seem so.

Yes, he was an unusually proficent photographer.

His Leica's film pressure plate had the impression of the film on it from so many rolls being passed through.

http://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaM4G.htm

Theres been a roll or two thru that puppy. I read an ariticle where Garry said it wasn't so much the finished photograph being the art for him but just the act of taking the picture.