Heres a few portraits that I've taken that I think work fairly well. What do you think?

IMO:

1 and 2 could use a spot on the background behind the subject, as well as maybe a hairlight. I think this would give these portraits a bit more depth.

3.Would move the subject away from the machine behind is head.

4.Again, maybe add a hairlight/ kicker to get more separation between the BG and the dark hair.

5. Increase contrast between Background and subject, either in post or with your lighting...

6.Only thing I don't like is the door intersecting with head and shoulder of chef..

7.I think the use of DOF and EV differences of subject and BG work well here.

8. DItto, MAYBE add a hairlight on the right side of subjects head?

Recent portrait, CC always appreciated:

4044896608_921b1fe033.jpg

Thanks for the comments..

I purposely didn't want light behind the subjects on #1 & #2 and the imaging machine behind the Dr in #3 is a very important part of the photograph.

Lighting on #5 was all available.

#6 I had a bit of a problem with the door frame to but it was the only place we could put him and get the dinning room in the background which was important to the image.

#7 it was important to get separation between the subject and the background so the background didn't compete with the nurse again all available light.

Same with the Dr in #8 and these are in working hospitals on the units so no way you can string lights.

I purposely didn't want light behind the subjects on #1 & #2 and the imaging machine behind the Dr in #3 is a very important part of the photograph.

Lighting on #5 was all available.

#6 I had a bit of a problem with the door frame to but it was the only place we could put him and get the dinning room in the background which was important to the image.

#7 it was important to get separation between the subject and the background so the background didn't compete with the nurse again all available light.

Same with the Dr in #8 and these are in working hospitals on the units so no way you can string lights.

Thanks, ya I have a problem with the crop at the wrist too... Hadn't thought about the crotch though!

Likewise I don't like that shadow behind his head either, but a) I only have 2 strobes at the moment for most of the work I do ( I rent more lights sometimes). How would you have gotten rid of that shadow, considering the amount room I had to work with? Just move him back from the wall, and feather a light across the wall?

I figured that everything in your images was intentional, just figured I'd give my two cents as to how I MIGHT have approached those shots...

Thanks for the CC again!

a reflector to his right would soften shadows a bit, and throw in some soft lighting oh his hair. maybe?

My fill was a strobe with umbrella. The only shadows that bother me are the ones behind his head... Not very much room to work with to get a strobe in behind him. Had I had the room, and another strobe or two, I would've definitely lit the BG and maybe a hair light...

Maybe a spot right that shadow would have taken care of it?

yea, maybe. I don't shoot with flash a lot, so don't listen to me~ just throwing out ideas. The light looks a little harsh, i think it'd be nice to get some separation between his hair and the wall, be it a hair light of some sort, or moving him away from the wall a bit, or using a softer light source.

My fill was a strobe with umbrella. The only shadows that bother me are the ones behind his head... Not very much room to work with to get a strobe in behind him. Had I had the room, and another strobe or two, I would've definitely lit the BG and maybe a hair light...

Maybe a spot right that shadow would have taken care of it?

Every time you add a light you add a problem. (shadows)

For your guy, 1 light higher (soft box in very close feathered in front of subject and into a reflector on the subjects right, camera left, opposite side of the key light) Your key light was to low. You can see the shadow from his nose going straight sideways. A higher key light the shadows would have fallen lower on both his nose and the B/G.

No hair, light or B/G light here.

I don't see why you couldn't drop a small strobe or two with wireless triggers.

I don't see why you couldn't drop a small strobe or two with wireless triggers.

I prefer working with the available if possible. Nothing looks like it. And to learn to see it when its right takes time. I could also use bounce, an assistant with portables and soft modifiers but I think with these types of images available light gives credibility to the look just like using real people. Then you have to ask yourself how much better would it look and in my opinion I prefer the look of available when the light will give it to you. Well it works for me anyway.

I got an Aputure Pro Coworker remote for my 5D. I've been very happy with the range, and it allows a half press so you can autofocus with it.

I got mine from Link Delight. Shipping from Hong Kong takes a little while, but its very affordable: http://www.linkdelight.com/index.php/Wireless-Remote-Set/Aputure-Pro-Coworker-1C-Wireless-Remote-Kit-for-Canon-500D-450D-/Detailed-product-flyer.html

If you want a slightly more reliable option, pocket wizards or Alien Bees Cyber Syncs with a Motor Drive Cable will not let you down.

yea, maybe. I don't shoot with flash a lot, so don't listen to me~ just throwing out ideas. The light looks a little harsh, i think it'd be nice to get some separation between his hair and the wall, be it a hair light of some sort, or moving him away from the wall a bit, or using a softer light source.

Was using a beauty dish with umbrella fill with somewhere around a 3:1 ratio. Thanks for the input!